Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Escaping '.' in hierarchical browser tags

Hi All,

I have some custom fields I display in the tag browser. These fields have their values presented hierarchically (love this feature), but some of the the strings in the hierarchy contain periods. For instance, I might have something like "Software.GIMP 2.8.3"

Periods, of course, are used as the level delimiters in the tag hierarchy. As a result, I get
  • Software
    • GIMP 2

This is mostly not horrible, but does not suit my purpose ideally. Is there a way to escape the '.' so it is not treated as a delimiter, or to change the delimiter character to something else?

I did try a few obvious options.
  • Doubling up the '.': "Software.GIMP 2..8..3" makes the parser unhappy and the entire thing is presented non-hierarchically (i.e. exactly as written).
  • Escaping with '\': "Software.GIMP 2\.8\.3" does parse reasonably, and gets presented with levels "Software", "GIMP 2\", "8\", "3".
  • Wrapping the entire string or substrings with '"' or "'" or various sorts of braces and brackets... all are treated as normal characters and they show up in the (parsed and hierarchical) strings.
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is mo way to change the separator (period) to something else. The only solution I know of is to change the character in the tag itself.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There is mo way to change the separator (period) to something else. The only solution I know of is to change the character in the tag itself.
I expected as much, but had hoped.

It would suit my purpose as well if there's a way to escape the '.' in some situations so it does not get used as a delimiter, but haven't found a way to do that, either.
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, hierarchy, tag