Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-31-2022, 01:50 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Buddy, it's been a decade. Let it go.
But it's not gotten any better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:51 PM   #17
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Your attempts to rain on my parade shall come to naught, Mr Wolf!
I like the chubby bezels on the NST; I like the crisp text; I can live with Nook software if the amnesia issue (perfect description, Zodwallop) is fixed.
The Glow light is the right size, shape and price and I'm looking forward to getting my greedy, acquisitive mitts on it
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2022, 08:33 PM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If the screen and light are as nice as the GL3, then you have the best there is. I have a 7.8" Onyx, but I still often return to the GL3, despite the smaller size. Really nice reading experience.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not really all that solid. I bought a nook STR as a backup. I found it to be a very poor backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
I like the chubby bezels on the NST; I like the crisp text;
I was charging up all my devices before the bomb cyclone last weekend and in looking for another wall wart I ran across the Nook STR I’d gotten for my mother (she never took to ereading). It had been a long time since I’d looked at it, so I charged it up for fun. I was blown away by the gorgeous crisp text in a device that old. The device is comfortable to hold and the buttons well placed and it can accommodate an SD card!

I use a Kobo Glo as a book repository but now I’m thinking the STR also would serve very well if not better; I’d enjoy reading on it more when I wanted quick access to a book. I never cared for the murky text on the Glo. In short, I think it would be an excellent backup.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was charging up all my devices before the bomb cyclone last weekend and in looking for another wall wart I ran across the Nook STR I’d gotten for my mother (she never took to ereading). It had been a long time since I’d looked at it, so I charged it up for fun. I was blown away by the gorgeous crisp text in a device that old. The device is comfortable to hold and the buttons well placed and it can accommodate an SD card!

I use a Kobo Glo as a book repository but now I’m thinking the STR also would serve very well if not better; I’d enjoy reading on it more when I wanted quick access to a book. I never cared for the murky text on the Glo. In short, I think it would be an excellent backup.
That goes to show how different people are. I still have my 2012 nontouch basic kindle which was famous for its contrasty, crisp text when it came out. Sometimes I fire it up and look at the screen. No way could I read on it these days, perhaps only in full sunlight, but I avoid direct sunlight like the plague.

The crispest text I've ever seen is on my Libra 2, and the Sage doesn't lag far behind. The 7.8'' Nook had a nice, even frontlight, but the text was considerably less crisp than on the Libra 2. The same goes for the Kindle Oasis. After seeing the Sage and the Libra 2 I've found I no longer want to read on anything else.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-01-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That goes to show how different people are. I still have my 2012 nontouch basic kindle which was famous for its contrasty, crisp text when it came out. Sometimes I fire it up and look at the screen. No way could I read on it these days, perhaps only in full sunlight, but I avoid direct sunlight like the plague.

The crispest text I've ever seen is on my Libra 2, and the Sage doesn't lag far behind. The 7.8'' Nook had a nice, even frontlight, but the text was considerably less crisp than on the Libra 2. The same goes for the Kindle Oasis. After seeing the Sage and the Libra 2 I've found I no longer want to read on anything else.
Oh, I’m not saying the STR would become my primary or go-to reader. But it would serve very well for a device that most of my library could live on for instant (albeit slow) access.

I’m not delusional. I’m not claiming the text on the STR rivals that of the latest devices. However, in the context of its age it’s excellent and in itself it’s still good enough for the purpose I have in mind and better than the current (slightly newer) device I’m using.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #22
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Quote:
I was blown away by the gorgeous crisp text in a device that old. The device is comfortable to hold and the buttons well placed and it can accommodate an SD card
All the more remarkable given that the dpi is only 167 or thereabouts! But the lack of light is a drawback and I found the more books I loaded to the sd card , the wobblier the database got.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #23
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
Please give us an update after you've had a play with it.
One of these was on my shortlist before I ended up going with the ridiculously good Libra 2.
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh, I’m not saying the STR would become my primary or go-to reader. But it would serve very well for a device that most of my library could live on for instant (albeit slow) access.

I’m not delusional. I’m not claiming the text on the STR rivals that of the latest devices. However, in the context of its age it’s excellent and in itself it’s still good enough for the purpose I have in mind and better than the current (slightly newer) device I’m using.
Back when I got my nook STR, I also had a PRS-650 and I found the text on the STR to be not nearly as good as that of the 650. IT was nothing to do with the screen but the font engine used by B&N vs. that used by Sony. It was a very noticeable difference when using the same font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
All the more remarkable given that the dpi is only 167 or thereabouts! But the lack of light is a drawback and I found the more books I loaded to the sd card , the wobblier the database got.
I did figure the potential fly in the ointment was how the STR would handle a large library. My Glo is slow, but if I give it time, it gets there. Perhaps a “curated” depository as opposed to the dumping ground on my Glo could be a way to go. Or if I ever got around to it, I could try rooting it. The reality is that I generally am not motivated to do that much fiddling, however.

Quote:
Back when I got my nook STR, I also had a PRS-650 and I found the text on the STR to be not nearly as good as that of the 650. IT was nothing to do with the screen but the font engine used by B&N vs. that used by Sony. It was a very noticeable difference when using the same font.
I can’t make quite the same comparison, but have to involve a third step and a different device in the same range. When I got my Kobo Glo, lit screen notwithstanding, I found the text to be much murkier than on my PRS-350s which was disappointing. But comparing the Glo to the STR, the STR is the clear winner. So now I have to power up a 350 to see which way I fall. I also had a 950, but I don’t even have to look - it was my first larger than 6” device and I loved it for that, but there’s no question that the gray on gray screen was a drawback. And, fair dos, even if I prefer the 350 screen it still doesn’t have the sd card option.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #26
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think a Nook ate his homework when he was a kid... or something like that.
LOL. It has to be something like that. I have never seen anyone with that level of animosity to an simple electronic device. It’s only a Nook. His single mindedness against BN has so far discouraged me from ever buying a Kobo. I don’t know why that is but he is just so off putting I can’t make myself do it. I’m happy with my Nook. It does everything I need.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:40 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
But it's not gotten any better.
See, there I disagree with you. I still regularly use a Nook Simple Touch, a 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus and a Glowlight 3. The software on the newer models is better than what is on the Simple Touch.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:46 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I regularly read on my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I love that little reader. I like the 'hidden under the bezel' buttons and the scalloped back. I have a 32GB card in it and have loaded up about five or six gigs of books and it works fine.

I wish I could maybe tint the screen amber. The main reason I brought my Clara on vacation instead of one of the Nooks is the amber lighting. The better half brought the Glowlight 3, but the only time I use it is to handle all the sideloading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:33 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The 7.8" Nook is by no means a bad device. The frontlight is very nice, B&N really knows how to make it just right. Also the buttons are on both sides and the bezels are nicely wide and grippy. If you're the type not fond of spending a lot of time customizing your device, the Nook may suit you very well.

Personally I couldn't get used to the software. It has even fewer options than Kindles and is slower than anything else I've used in recent years. Also the Nook is quite a lot heavier than the 7-8" devices of the competitors. But all this doesn't mean it may not be a perfect reader for someone else.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #30
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Red face

If you to sideload books, I think you have to migrate to koreader, which allow you organize by folder. Otherwise, I guess you can just do a search. But I have always used sideloaded apps on the Nooks, to free them from default software. The NST and NST Glow were classics. Wolf must have got a lemon. Even the GL3 is a great device, once koreader is installed. What a screen.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote