Enthusiast
mblrdr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Win 10
Zotero 5.9.3
zotero_metadata_importer.zip Qt6 Test Version for Calibre 5.99.4+
Install addon from file

Error:
extension "%S" could not be installed. Possibly incompatible with this version of Zotero

What did I do wrong?
mblrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:54 AM   #227
mblrdr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblrdr View Post
Win 10
Zotero 5.9.3
Install addon from file

Error:
extension "%S" could not be installed. Possibly incompatible with this version of Zotero

What did I do wrong?
Edit: I'm dumb. Your Plugin is clearly for inside Calibre.
Advert
Old 02-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #228
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ZMI is a Calibre plugin, not a Zotero extension/add-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblrdr View Post
Win 10
Zotero 5.9.3
Install addon from file

Error:

What did I do wrong?

ZMI is a Calibre plugin. Apparently you are under the impression that it is a Zotero extension/add-on. Not so. ZMI operates entirely within Calibre.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #229
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New test version available

New test version here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=22

DaltonST
Old 02-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #230
mblrdr
Enthusiast

I realized that 30min after my posting. Sorry.

Thanks for your excellent plugin.

Seems to replace missing/old opds plugin functionality:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion...Comment_384737
Advert
Old 02-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #231
DaltonST
Deviser

New test version available for ZMI using only Qt6 & Python 3

New test version here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=20

DaltonST
Old 03-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #232
MassiveAtoms
MassiveAtoms began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Hey,
I have a problem. This might be a bug, but more likely, it is user error.

Description:
I'm trying to export books from calibre to zotero, using the linking option and not the copy option.
Something appears to be failing at the "Import ZKey from new Zotero Attachments [Just Imported]" and the steps in the comparison tab.
After following the steps and clicking on it, I see no visual indication that it was successful, I don't see any changes in the Z columns visible in calibre.
The book is imported fine in Zotero, no problems there. I have archieved the result I wanted.
I am just not sure if I should be seeing anything on calibre's side to say everything was succesful, if I'm not missing a step or something?

environment:
Calibre: 5.38
Zotero: 5.0.96.3
ZMI: 1.0.70, installed with calibre's plugin manager.
Calibre Path: E:\Documents\CalibreLibrary
Zotero's data dir: E:\Documents\Zotero

Steps I took:
1. Select the book, then open ZMI's "Export RIS file for Linking Books ...."
2. Import the RIS file in zotero, selecting the "Link to files in original location" option
3. Close Zotero. I have also checked task manager to make sure it is closed.
4. I then click "Import ZKey from new Zotero Attachments [Just Imported]". No indication anything is wrong.
5. I then go to the comparison tab, click "Zotero Collection" and select the collection I imported the book in.
6. I hit the compare button.
I see this:
"Total Collection items in Zotero: 1
Total Collection items in Calibre: 0

Key: 5FHGGJM9 type: book title: How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking - for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers content: None path: None

Expected differences are equal to the actual differences listed above."
7. I exit the ZMI interface. All the Z columns are still empty.

I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong, or the plugin has a bug, some help would be appreciated.
Technically, it does what I want, which is creating a zotero entry for me with all the calibre metadata, and it points to the correct file.
But looking at the tooltips, I'd expect there to be some data from zotero in the Z columns in calibre? I don't know if not having these would impact future use of ZMI, calibre or zotero and any interaction inbetween.
MassiveAtoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #233
DaltonST
Deviser

ZMI Populates the Z* Custom Columns from Imported Zotero .csv export file

If you study the images attached to the original post of this thread, and also read the ToolTips in ZMI, you will notice that ZMI updates the Zotero_* custom columns in Calibre upon Importing a Zotero .csv export file into ZMI.

Apparently you are just using Calibre as a source of linking a document location in Zotero. You must not be using Calibre to store the Zotero Metadata in Calibre itself in the ZMI Z* custom columns.

You cannot expect Calibre to have Zotero Metadata unless you use the Zotero Metadata Importer plugin to first import it.

Comparing Calibre to Zotero using the ZMI plugin presupposes that you have something in Calibre that ZMI knows about, i.e., the Zotero Metadata, especially the Calibre ZMI custom column Zotero_Key value that Zotero uses to organize all of its data. The Comparison Tab in ZMI matches Zotero_Key in Calibre to the Zotero Key value for a particular item in a particular Zotero Collection.

BTW, you should download Calibre 5.99.8 from the Qt6 Beta testing thread, and use the Qt6 version of ZMI in this thread just a few posts earlier than this one.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 03-15-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Comment added.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #234
MassiveAtoms
MassiveAtoms began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
If you study the images attached to the original post of this thread, and also read the ToolTips in ZMI, you will notice that ZMI updates the Zotero_* custom columns in Calibre upon Importing a Zotero .csv export file into ZMI.

Apparently you are just using Calibre as a source of linking a document location in Zotero. You must not be using Calibre to store the Zotero Metadata in Calibre itself in the ZMI Z* custom columns.

You cannot expect Calibre to have Zotero Metadata unless you use the Zotero Metadata Importer plugin to first import it.

Comparing Calibre to Zotero using the ZMI plugin presupposes that you have something in Calibre that ZMI knows about, i.e., the Zotero Metadata, especially the Calibre ZMI custom column Zotero_Key value that Zotero uses to organize all of its data. The Comparison Tab in ZMI matches Zotero_Key in Calibre to the Zotero Key value for a particular item in a particular Zotero Collection.
Thanks for the quick response, that worked.
I assumed incorrectly that since I was exporting from calibre, that the pictures talking about importing weren't important.
Plus, the instructions shown when exporting,
"
After importing the RIS file into Zotero, you must exit Zotero so it releases its 'lock' on its storage database. If you do not, ZMI will later issue an error message to remind you to do so.

Switch back to Calibre after Zotero has closed, and click the pushbutton 'Retrieve ZKey from New Zotero Attachments [Just Imported]' to add the Zotero Keys to each of your just-exported Calibre books.
"
Made me think that, since ZMI is waiting for Zotero to release it's db lock, it would then to try to match Zisbn with a calibre entry with maching isbn (or some other mechanism to try to match up newly created zotero entries with calibre entries by looking at zotero's db), and then fill in corresponding Z columns from Zotero's db into Calibre's db.

Quote:
BTW, you should download Calibre 5.99.8 from the Qt6 Beta testing thread, and use the Qt6 version of ZMI in this thread just a few posts earlier than this one.
DaltonST
Do you want me to, for feedback purposes, or just because it's a better experience or something? I have calibre installed via chocolatey, and I want it to stay there, since I can auto update packages without my interaction. I could temporarily install it if you want me to for feedback purposes, but not if it's just because it's better or something.

Last edited by MassiveAtoms; 03-15-2022 at 02:37 PM.
MassiveAtoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #235
DaltonST
Deviser

You exported a link, not a physical book file. Zotero physically treats them differently. The DB lock is for the real book DB update, not a link/shortcut. Reduced functionality for links.

DaltonST
Old 03-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #236
partnoonein
partnoonein began at the beginning.

Quote:
You exported a link, not a physical book file. Zotero physically treats them differently. The DB lock is for the real book DB update, not a link/shortcut. Reduced functionality for links.

DaltonST
So does the comparison not work for linking even if you follow all the steps correctly and ZKey is present via ZMI import in Calibre?

Adding to the previous poster's question, I had actually followed additional steps after his step 3. I had indeed imported the book metadata through csv/ZMI into calibre. *The comparison did not work.

My steps are as follows.
Steps:
  1. Use ZMI in calibre to export the RIS file
  2. I fetch the metadata in Zotero and use the link to options
  3. I export the metadata from Zotero to a csv file.
  4. In Calibre -I launch ZMI
  5. I import the csv file into Calibre via ZMI. *
  6. ZMI Import Books & Metadata -> Add Zotero Books and Metadata -> Manual Mode -> Select Single CSV Export file [Manual Mode]
  7. I select the CSV Row for Single Book for a book
  8. I notice that ZMI does updates custom columns in Calibre including the ZKey
  9. I exit ZMI
  10. I go to Calibre -> ZMI -> ZMI Comparison
  11. I get
Total Collection items in Zotero: 4
Key: 4HNN39E7 type: book title: ABCD content: None path: None
Key: AUWDQZG4 type: book title: EFGH content: None path: None
Key: UBCBQHID type: webpage title:KLMN content: None path: None
Key: UKM6K5VJ type: book title: YetAnotherTitle content: None path: None
Expected differences are equal to the actual differences listed above.
partnoonein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:13 AM   #237
DaltonST
Deviser

ZMI works for me. I suspect that you are not using the very latest version of Calibre 5.99.8 and the ZMI Qt6/Py3 version for it at:

Calibre 6.0.0 will likely go live soon, so update to 5.99.8 (6.0.0) now.

Posting ZMI issues without being on the very latest version of both ZMI and Calibre is pointless.

DaltonST
Old 03-16-2022, 05:21 PM   #238
partnoonein

Yes Dalton, I am not. I am using the latest released 5.38 and cannot use the 5.99.8 because a plugin called "Power Search" that lets one search all caliber content with Elastic search behind it, does not work in caliber 5.99.8.
I tried the calibre betas multiple times but there was one problem or the other with caliber betas

Quote:
ZMI works for me. I suspect that you are not using the very latest version of Calibre 5.99.8 and the ZMI Qt6/Py3 version for it at:

Calibre 6.0.0 will likely go live soon, so update to 5.99.8 (6.0.0) now.

Posting ZMI issues without being on the very latest version of both ZMI and Calibre is pointless.

DaltonST
Old 03-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #239
DaltonST
Deviser

If you use Windows, you could separately install Calibre Portable 5.38 on your hard drive to use only with that plugin that does not (yet) work with Calibre 6, and then use regular Calibre 5.99.8+ for normal use.

DaltonST
Old 03-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #240
partnoonein

I tried the 5.99.8 beta with new zmi and followed the steps to compare. Same result

Total Collection items in Zotero: 4

Key: 4HNN39E7 type: book title: blahBlah1 content: None path: None

Key: AUWDQZG4 type: book title: blahBlah2 content: None path: None

Key: UBCBQHID type: webpage title: blahBlah3 content: None path: None

Key: UKM6K5VJ type: book title: blahBlah4 content: None path: None

Expected differences are equal to the actual differences listed above.

Quote:
If you use Windows, you could separately install Calibre Portable 5.38 on your hard drive to use only with that plugin that does not (yet) work with Calibre 6, and then use regular Calibre 5.99.8+ for normal use.

DaltonST

Tags
ris, zotero