Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Publish your blog as a paper book

With all the effort and activity these days to turn paper books into e-books, it seemed a little out of place to be thinking about making an electronic blog into a paper book. But Lifehacker points us to this NYTimes article about publishing software called BookSmart which will do just that. Kind of futuristic and retro at the same time, but I just don't see the resulting book being good for anything other than historic archival purposes unless the author originally meant for it to be a book, and then does some hard work to turn it into something worth reading.

It will be available soon at Blurb, and it's not exactly a one-click process. And once it's in paper form, it won't fit into your pocket anymore!

Via Lifehacker
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Vanity publishing taken to a whole new level.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Laurens, so very true... As if blogs on the internet weren't enough, now we get to see them in books? Sure, there's the occasional time this would make sense, but I can't think of any examples. Many blogs post about recent events, at least the ones I see worth reading (recent events as in posting news, basically), which kinda loses it's value once it's not new.

To me this seems to fall under the category of putting reality TV on DVDs... Quite pointless.

Reminds me... I must get around to writing a rant on 'Web 2.0' sometime... Just because the general concept annoys me. And no, I won't post it on a blog.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Looking forward to your rant, Chaos. All the hype around "Web 2.0" gives me flashbacks to the late 90s "dot com" bubble. History repeats itself.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Looking forward to your rant, Chaos. All the hype around "Web 2.0" gives me flashbacks to the late 90s "dot com" bubble. History repeats itself.
Yup, history repeating itself is one of the main problems I have with it... In fact, most of the problems with it were problems back in that 'dot com' bubble as well. Overuse of Javascript (DHTML/AJAX), ads, fancy effects, etc...

So, I think I'll get a start on that now... First thing's first, however... Research. Must learn as much as I can before I can truly pick it apart.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert