Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Best PDF to LRF conversion

I usually just read PDFs directly on the reader but when I get a badly formatted one I usually try to convert it to LRF.
Calibre does a pretty hit-and-miss conversion of PDF to LRF so I have found Mobipocket creator converts PDF to html quite well and then calibre does a good job of html to lrf.
Is there any better and easier way to get a good PDF to LRF conversion result ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Bug in Mobipocket Creator

I've found that Mobipocket Creator skips some images (those that are right at the start of a page) when converting pdf files.
I normally use Book Designer, but had problems importing the html files that Mobipocket Creator generates. So what I do is edit the html file with Word, break the external links to images (so that the images are saved inside the document) and after that I import the resulting .doc with BD.
Anyway, not all pdf's are the same. A simple all-text pdf is no problem, as long as there are no special symbols (like greek letters or arrows). When you have images or formulas you have to check carefully the output file for problems.
In some cases it is a best to stick to the pdf format, cropping the borders with a program like soPdf.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you tried any of the following free tools from here at MR?

PDFLRF
Rasterfarian
PDFread
SoPDF
PaperCrop

The first three are all PDF > LRF converters (or allow that at least), and yield good looking results in most cases, though I think they're all image based, so can result in very large file sizes.

SoPDF and PaperCrop are PDF > PDF "converters" that can be used to make a PDF look better on a small screen by, e.g., stripping the margins and/or dividing multi-column PDFs into separate pages. SoPDF isn't image based unless the source is, so I tend to use it if I want to preserve a smaller file size.

If start with a very badly formatted PDF, at present, there's not much that can be done, however, as far as I know. The algorithm in this thread might be worth experimenting with, but it looks rather drastic, and I haven't found the time to try to make it work myself.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
jefferson_frantz
jefferson_frantz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and Sony Reader PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I usually just read PDFs directly on the reader but when I get a badly formatted one I usually try to convert it to LRF.
Calibre does a pretty hit-and-miss conversion of PDF to LRF so I have found Mobipocket creator converts PDF to html quite well and then calibre does a good job of html to lrf.
Is there any better and easier way to get a good PDF to LRF conversion result ?
First i try to convert the pdf to lrf using BookDesigner. But, in some cases, the conversion is not good, so my next option is to use Mobipocket Creator to pass the pdf to html and then use BookDesigner with the html generated.
jefferson_frantz is offline   Reply With Quote