Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
"Amazon lifts the veil on Prime"

Amazon is letting us look at actual?? "numbers!!??"

All the Secrets

Last edited by frahse; 12-31-2015 at 02:46 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I didn't see any actual numbers in that article. The only figure was more than 3 million joined the third week of December. That corresponds nicely with the ad they were running on TV that week.
Also millions of devices is not an actual number.
200 million more items isn't exact either.

My question would be how many of those 3 million will stay with prime come January when the free trial is over.
Oh and the guy that estimated/guessed that 25% of US households does not work for Amazon.

Cool article though. Even if it really said nothing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Bet a Lot of those are folks like me. Got my Free Year just buying a Amazon Phone. I thing they gave the same deal for the TV [not stick] & Echo when they came out. So a Lot of Deals going on
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Bet a Lot of those are folks like me. Got my Free Year just buying a Amazon Phone.
Judging by how poorly Amazon Phone did, I'll bet not....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't help but believe that the number of things in "quotation marks" (in both the article and the OP) suggest a certain level of tongue-in-cheek-edness.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The digital portion of Prime is lackluster, IMO. But Prime is worth the money to me for the shipping savings alone.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The digital portion of Prime is lackluster, IMO. But Prime is worth the money to me for the shipping savings alone.
For us as well. We use Prime video on occasion, and it's a nice value add, but it's the shipping we're paying $99 for.

But I suspect the video part will get better and better.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Prime is a loyalty program meant to keep customers happy.
The Digital stuff is meant to be frosting.
(For now.)

It is also, from Amazon's side, an incubator for their next wave of cash cows.
At some point Amazon will likely treat their content services like they treat FREETIME FOR KIDS: one price for Prime members and another for non-members. All the exclusives and original content are investments in building up an HBO/Netflix would-be competitor. The tablets and streamers are the way they monetize it now but eventually, once they build up their reputation and catalog, they'll go from Prime-only to open to all comers...for a price.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's all good.....and free shipping too!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
We would have purchased Longmire and Bosch for $35 per season so just those shows almost pays off alone. I get A LOT of stuff shipped via Prime. I use mostly Netflix original programming (Bloodline, Daredevil, Jessica Jones) and back shows but the Amazon original programming is starting to really work for us.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I watch Prime Digital more and more all the time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
To me, it's the package of music, video and shipping that keeps me. If Amazon were to drop any of those three components, then they'd lose me as a member.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm seriously considering a subscription just for "The Man In The High Castle", I'll likely worry about pricing changes when they occur, and evaluate the reconfigured value to me then.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've no interest in the video, and the music is nice but not particularly valuable to me, so the 'free' delivery isn't enough to make Prime any use. Which means while I still use Amazon, I'm more likely to check elsewhere and have definitely bought less from Amazon in the past couple of years.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't care at all about the music. I would watch more of their video if they actually included good stuff in the Prime membership. Most video I want to watch costs extra, and even more if you want it in HD--like many use SDTV these days. The damn cable/satellite providers still charge extra for HD too. At any rate I'm not paying them a penny more for videos when I can simply wait until it comes on my satellite service.