Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Shute, Nevil: What Happened to the Corbetts.v1.16 August 2012

This novel by Nevil Shute depicts life in England in the early days of World War II. It puts a human face to the numbing statistics of death and injuries caused by Nazi bombing of civilians.

From the Author's Note:
This book is a work of fiction. The characters are all imaginary, and no reference is made or intended to actual personalities.

The places described are real. Southampton and Hamble are real places in the south of England; I think it would be impossible to write such a book as this upon a basis of fictitious towns and places. This brings me to a difficulty. Southampton is a virile, healthy city working very hard at the vast problems of Air Raid Precautions, problems which every city in the Old World has to face.

It is my earnest hope that nothing in this book will give offence or bring discouragement to those who bear responsibility for the safety of their city. It was not written in that spirit. If a writer has any quality of value to the community it is that of using his imagination to foresee what lies ahead of us. If this book shows the New World something of our difficulties, and makes academic problems real to those people in my country who are working for our safety, then I shall feel that I have done a job worth doing.

Since Shute died in 1960 this work is out of copyright probably only in Canada.

This work is from Project Gutenberg Canada. It has been altered by changing the table of contents and by breaking the work internally into files for each chapter so as not to cause any difficulty in some older readers.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote