Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Red face 200 dollars tablet

Hi!
I want to buy a tablet where i can listen to music, play games, maybe view some movies, have some apps, read some books, etc.
I was thinking about going to the kindle fire, but it hasn't camera, mic, sd card slot, it's not "free" into the android market and some other things, which i would like to have. 250 dollars is my maximum budget. I want it to have a decent screen and touch response and good hardware (i'm fine with the 7 inch screen)

So, what tablet do you think would suit me best ? (if you think i forgot something important in a tablet please say)

Thanks,
DD
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
How about the Lenovo Ideapad A1?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

i know it's over my budget but do any of you recommend a Samsung galaxy 7" tab?
About the A1, i think it's unavailable now...

Thanks,
DD
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i have the samsung galaxy tab 7 inch i got last year when it was the only tablet out besides ipad and its ... ok playing with the HTC flyer with android 2.3.4 and htcsense2.1 ui its ALOT better but its $299 at best buy personaly id wait another month or two and save up to get the HTC flyer or look at the 7" thrive or the new galaxy tab 7 plus wich will ahve a dual core processer and honeycomb 3.2 wich will be much better for movies and games. also the HTC flyer has honeycomb coming to it as well.. its already officially in beta
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Virtual identical thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153239
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You might be happy with a Pocket eDGe. No longer being made, but available on ebay. Good forum support here under Android/enTourage eDGe.

Good luck! Have fun choosing!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
DonalDuck
The Changer

Thanks for all your replies. Are there any good, impartial reviews on HTC FLyer? And one more question: should i wait for windows 8?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Windows tablets are usually more expensive than other tablets, if you mean Windows 8 on a tablet.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
Thanks for all your replies. Are there any good, impartial reviews on HTC FLyer? And one more question: should i wait for windows 8?
I can only speak from personal experience, but I must say, I really like my Flyer. It has a good battery life, a very good screen quality (very crisp!) and it reacts fast to my commands.

People complain that it doesn't have Honeycomb (yet), but so far I have zero problems with Gingerbread (I believe it's called: 2.3.4). But then, I don't have any experience with Honeycomb (or Gingerbread beside my Flyer, which also has the HTC Sense layer).

Unlike my cheapo 10" tablet, the capacitive buttons will rotate too, if you rotate the screen. So, in landscape, the buttons will be on the bottom, and in portrait, the buttons will be on the bottom.

I especially like the fact that the Flyer can connect to a PC using a driveletter. No need for special applications to access it. And it can be charged using USB (I have only used the supplied cable for it, but a micro-usb connector also fits). Those two facts where the main reason I bought the Flyer over the Acer.

Things like camera, I haven't tried out. That's not why I wanted a tablet, and I won't see me replacing my real photocamera with a tablet camera...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Personally I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Preorder stats tomorrow and its relatively expensive @ $399.00, but it is going to be a beast of a ereader
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
DonalDuck
The Changer

also a blet me remake my question:
Hi, I haven't got a tablet or a reading device. My budget is low 200-250 (300 maximum) and i would like to have camera or mic. 7" screen is perfect. I also want a good processor. I will buy refurbish if it is fine (no scratches, etc.) and i want warranty at least for a year. SD card would be excellent and also very important i don't want to buy a device and suddenly there was nothing for it and it disappeared in time. As I said before, this will be my first buy and I want a good one. Last question (also a bit repeated): should I wait a year for tablets to drop prices, new softwares, etc?

PS: If there is nothing until 300 dollars please tell me my cheaper option

Thanks,
DD

Last edited by DonalDuck; 10-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
donal there no need to wait a year.. because every year there will be another new model, like i suggested earlier, HTC flyer is a good machine for the price it has more functionality and quality than alot of larger more expensive tablets. the samsung galaxy tab 7.7 might be as good or a little better but thats down the road and ill be honest your probably not gonna get much better than the htc flyer without paying more. most everything cheaper that the htc flyer is cheaper for a reason, they are either using a porr quality screen, poorer battery life, conectivity ports, no access to the android market. sure if you look real hard someone may make one with a slightly faster cpu, or a larger amount of ram or cheaper prices ... but you wont find anything else as consistantly good for its price range yet. good luck on your shopping!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote