Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Device Library Management?

Extreme noob here, so please bear with me.

I just got my Kindle Touch 2 days ago and have never really "played" with a Kindle before to understand the nuances.

I've created a few collections so my home screen is fairly clear. However, now one of the collections is crazy chaotic. Like everybody, I'm sure, I downloaded tons of the classics that are free from Amazon, but many authors have a LOT of book titles. I'd really love to create a sub-collection within that collection just for the author.

I've installed Calibre and been using it as my main PC manager for the Kindle, but when it comes to communicating with the device it seems limited (or so it appears).

All I've seen that I can do with the device is transfer ebooks to/from "home". I'd like to manage the Kindle "collections". Can I manage books on the device itself through Calibre? And if so, can I create sub-collections within a collection? I haven't seen a way to do that, but I thought I'd check in case I was just not seeing how to do it.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
calibre is unable to create collections for the Kindle Touch at this time. For other Kindles there is a Kindle Collections plugin.

No, you cannot create sub-collections on a Kindle.

My workaround for this problem is to have some collections by genre and others by author. If I have 8 Dickens novels that I want grouped, I put them in a Dickens collection. Books can be in more than one collection, so it's up to you whether or not you leave them in Classics as well.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks. I had a feeling it was a limitation of Kindle.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtermite View Post
Thanks. I had a feeling it was a limitation of Kindle.
This is a Limitation of the Touch and Fire. The 4NT is supported
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote