Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Nook lines breaking mid-word

I've been having an annoying phenomena with recent epubs (NON B&N epubs, copy-pasted via windows into the Nook) where the text is broken into new lines at MID-word. The words are broken with a hyphen in the middle instead of the Nook leaving some empty space and breaking at the nearest space.

I've tried playing with style (text-align for instance) but to no effect. I'm really starting to get frustrated by the Nook's different html and style issues. On some epubs it doesn't happen, and it seems to be irregardless of stylesheets.

Anyone else having this problem? Thanks
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Yes! I had a hyphenation problem some time ago! All of a sudden (or rather, I think it was after firmware update) the Nook started hyphenating like I don't know what! It was driving me nuts especially when reading Swedish, because we have other hyphenation rules than the English language, and of course the Nook doesn't follow Swedish rules!
I don't remember how I got it sorted though... So I'm of no help, but at least you know you're not alone!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
According to an earlier thread about excessive hyphenation on the COLOR Nook, you could do this in the epub file to help the problem:

--------------------
If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:

body {
... other attributes ...
adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
}
----------------------

I don't know if this really helps and I don't know which thread it is in (I just saved the part I wanted), but you might give it a try.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
tealtiger2000
tealtiger2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
According to an earlier thread about excessive hyphenation on the COLOR Nook, you could do this in the epub file to help the problem:

--------------------
If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:

body {
... other attributes ...
adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
}
----------------------

I don't know if this really helps and I don't know which thread it is in (I just saved the part I wanted), but you might give it a try.
I'm having this same issue with my NST, but I don't know what you mean about adding this CSS attribute to a body selector. How would I do this and where? I don't know much about html, so a step-by-step on how to do this would be wonderful.

Also, would this remove ALL hyphens, even the ones that should be in the text where they need to be?

Thanks!
tealtiger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote