Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #46
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
The question is not "dedicated vs. general purpose devices", it's "eye strain vs. no eye strain", as anybody who reads regularly knows. Currently, the only technology that causes no eye strain is eink.
Tablets are Ok for a lot of things, but not for reading IMO. Should eink readers disappear, I wouldn't buy a tablet, I would go back to paper books.
Not sure about iphones or Ipads...but if you have an Android device... Get an app called Screen Filter.... perfect for reducing backlighting... Have it on my Gzone phone, and Nexus and it makes reading much more tolerable...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have been reading constantly from a Nook Color and now a Nook HD+. I do not get eye strain from this. Granted most people get eye strain, but not all.
Apache
This.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #48
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And I just got my 5th PRS-350. I'm definitely doing my part!
What happened to your other four?

(this does not seem like good advert for that ereader)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #49
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Like sitting two feet from a 42" TV so you can touch the screen, and having to wipe the fingerprints off every day so you can still see what it's displaying?

No, it will use Kinect type control. Ie you will be waving your arms at the tv camera. That's right, in future America, TV watches you.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #50
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have been reading constantly from a Nook Color and now a Nook HD+. I do not get eye strain from this. Granted most people get eye strain, but not all.
Apache
Didn't know that... I can't check, anyway, as none of those devices are available in my country...

So, what's the difference between a Nook Color screen and an iPad screen?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #51
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- The core eink technology didn't change for two-plus years until the KPW and Kobo Glo came out in november.
The core eink tech did not change with the PW. Amazon added the front light themselves.

There's a higher resolution, but I think that has to do with the controller. As I understand it, the display was always capable of much higher resolution.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #52
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
What happened to your other four?

(this does not seem like good advert for that ereader)
This e-reader is so nice one is tempted to hoard them! I have two myself, both working perfectly. One is more of a backup device, in case something happens to the first. I also have a standing search on eBay, just in case I can pick up any more really cheap as gifts.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #53
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
if you have an Android device... Get an app called Screen Filter.... perfect for reducing backlighting... Nexus and it makes reading much more tolerable...

Thanks for the tip about 'Screen Filter'

I use Aldiko reader app on the Nexus 7 and have the background colour set to a yellow/light brown colour, similar to Kindle for PC's sepia colour
Using this setup I have no eyestrain when reading for an hour or so

I'm reading one eBook on the Nook and a different eBook on the Nexus 7 with no problem with eyestrain with either device, which surprised me with the Nexus as I expected it to be a problem and I'm not the youngest member of Mobileread !

Last edited by Quelch; 01-06-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #54
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I suppose we are doing our part to further interest in e-ink, we gave both of our Nooks to the younger generation. They seem to love them, and presumably, at some point, will either request an update reader from their parents as a present, or will eventually just get new devices themselves.

I just passed a deal on a refurb Kindle Keyboard to a relative, she seems quite interested, since she has been considering getting a reader. Remains to be seen if she'll buy herself one.

I know I would hate to see a world without e-ink or the equivalent. Backlit devices are not friendly to my eyes.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, it's not possible for tablets to kill e-readers as there are no such devices as e-readers as e-reader is not actually the correct word.

The correct word is reader. eReader is already taken, so we have to drop the e.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #56
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's not possible for tablets to kill e-readers as there are no such devices as e-readers as e-reader is not actually the correct word.

The correct word is reader. eReader is already taken, so we have to drop the e.
King Canute tried to stop the tide from coming in, I suspect you may have a similar result

Best of luck in your endeavors and I mean that in the nicest possible way !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
King Canute tried to stop the tide from coming in, I suspect you may have a similar result

Best of luck in your endeavors and I mean that in the nicest possible way !
Yes the tide comes in, the tide goes out.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The core eink tech did not change with the PW. Amazon added the front light themselves.

There's a higher resolution, but I think that has to do with the controller. As I understand it, the display was always capable of much higher resolution.
No.
There are two parts to the eink display; the eink film itself which is (techically) very high res, and the TFT backplane (LCD-derived tech) with the matrix of transistors that drives the actual pixels which is what determines the resolution of the panel. *That* is what determines the panel's resolution.

So there is a genuine generational difference between the SVGA pearl panels and the new XGA panels that goes beyond the frontlight/capacitance touch laminate.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes the tide comes in, the tide goes out.
Some peoplle are very strong swimmers.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Didn't know that... I can't check, anyway, as none of those devices are available in my country...

So, what's the difference between a Nook Color screen and an iPad screen?
Very little other than pixel density (which depends on the iPad model).

Eyestrain is strictly a personal reaction that affects everybody differently so there is no universal statement anybody can assert about it.
As a vaguely general rule, higher pixel density displays will produce eyestrain in less people and on a given display lower contrast and brightness levels will result in less people experiencing eyestrain. (Or eliminate it for some people.)

For example, some people can eliminate eyestrain on a PC laptop by changing the color scheme (say amber on black, light blue on darker blue, etc) or by reducing the overall panel brightness.

On iPads, some people that reported eyestrain on the older XGA-resolution iPad2 don't on the higher-res iPad3 and 4. Some still do and others never experienced it.

Another reason for LCD eyestrain is that the LCD backlight is strongly polarized. Some people find relief while wearing polarized glasses. None of these reasons are inherent to the tech nor do they affect everybody.

The primary reason why eink is hailed for lower eyestrain is that, as a reflective display technology it relies on ambient (non-polarized) light. Plus it has significantly lower brightness and contrast. (And it doesn't have what amounts to a flashlight aimed right at your eyes. )

This is one area where everybody reacts differently.