Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
The borrowing limits really bother me. I use the library ebooks to try out authors I haven't read before to see if I'll like them. I often return the ebook to the library after one chapter when I don't enjoy the writing. If borrowing limits are implemented I would feel guilty doing this because people who really want to read the book would not be able to depending on how many checkouts remain.
That's my concern also. I wind up reading only about half the books I check out. A better way to impose limits would be # of days checked out, not # of checkouts.

But the entire library lending model that Overdrive offers is suspect: why the artificially limited selection and availability of titles? Why not instead offer the entire catalog of ebook titles, and limit access to a given library's ebook budget on the basis of ebook-checkout-days, and let the library set policy to ensure equitable access to ebooks?

I would note that the Overdrive app for iOS (and probably Android) do not allow you to return an item early, even where the licensing permits it. That says a lot about Overdrive's priorities: they serve publishers first of all, not the needs of libraries and their patrons.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
grouch2
grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: sony reader, nook, iPad
Maybe I had no posting history, but I've been lurking since 2009. I saw this a BIG news so I posted it.

I just saw the column in Library Journal. 26 circs, hmmm. That's kinda stingy. Most books don't fall apart and have to be discarded after 26 circulations. That was the best thing about circulating ebooks: they don't get lost, self-destruct, get rained on, dog chewed, etc. Now, Harper-Collins will sell us "vapor-books."
grouch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #33
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Not that I expect it will do any good at all, but at this point I'm composing a letter to my Government Official concerning the need for an eBook buyer's Bill of Rights.

Including the right to own what they pay for, whether they be a Library or an Individual.
Could you post it when you are done? I would love to see it.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Welcome to your life out of lurkdom Grouch2. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not surprised at the news, but I can't say it makes me feel joy and happiness to know that the Big Publishers are yet again on a campaign to punish their customers.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #35
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
So the book will, what, self-destruct after, say, 20 times? Are you sh..ing me? Who are these greedy bastards (may they fail miserably).
I hope not 20 times. Popular titles would expire the first week! It's probably in the thousands (I hope!)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #36
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
If HarperCollins had requested 100 lends I could agree. I might not like it but I could agree. I do know that I have read MMPB books much more than 26 times per copy. That's just greedy. I bet these jackasses don't read.
I wonder if they are factoring in the chance that an ebook is duplicated?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I hope not 20 times. Popular titles would expire the first week! It's probably in the thousands (I hope!)
The article posted above says that HarperCollins is limiting the licence to 26 times.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #38
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Just found this information. Harper Collins seems to be the publisher.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...ebook.html.csp
26! They've got to be effin kidding!!! I know I have PERSONALLY checked out books more than 26 times from a library without the darn thing falling apart! Not to mention there is an October release I checked out from the e-library that had 50 people on the waitlist for it!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #39
Joykins
Wizard

It's stuff like this that drives people who want to be honest into the arms of the pirates.

26 checkouts! I think this might make it unaffordable for libraries to license much HC content. I wonder if HC wants to drive up its rivals' sales or get competitors on board to monopolize as in agency pricing. I noticed my library is only acquiring new books by Harlequin so far this year, which (I think) is probably because Harlequins are very cheap and romances are popular. Library funding--never much during hard times--should be a concern to publishers who care about library sales.

Last edited by Joykins; 02-25-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #40
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I wonder if they are factoring in the chance that an ebook is duplicated?
I would hope not. There are a lot of better ways to get a free ebook than the library. Anybody tech savvy enough to strip and keep a library ebook would have taken it from the darknet already.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I would hope not. There are a lot of better ways to get a free ebook than the library. Anybody tech savvy enough to strip and keep a library ebook would have taken it from the darknet already.
Well, my thought would be for slow readers, if they can't read within the 2 weeks or whatever that they would keep it on their computer and "return it". I've never used a library ebook so I'm not sure how that would work or if it would, but I don't think it would be like a "copyright infringement" thing, but more of a "I want to read this book but can't in the time frame so I'll just fix it so I can read it then delete it or possibly share it with one or 2 friends so they don't have to wait in line too" thing.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Well, my thought would be for slow readers, if they can't read within the 2 weeks or whatever that they would keep it on their computer and "return it". I've never used a library ebook so I'm not sure how that would work or if it would, but I don't think it would be like a "copyright infringement" thing, but more of a "I want to read this book but can't in the time frame so I'll just fix it so I can read it then delete it or possibly share it with one or 2 friends so they don't have to wait in line too" thing.
Actually, I think most e-readers cache a library book in memory as long as you keep it open.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #43
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
I really hoped that book publishers would learn from the terrible mistakes made by the music industry in the early days of MP3s. Making ebooks harder to get is what will encourage piracy more than anything else. They are really making a huge mistake here, and I hope other publishers have enough sense not to follow suit.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #44
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Actually, I think most e-readers cache a library book in memory as long as you keep it open.
The last library book I borrowed expired on my reader. I had to plug into ADE to get rid of it.

I still think that anyone who knows how to strip DRM will know that they can get a better option on the darknet.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #45
grouch2
grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.grouch2 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: sony reader, nook, iPad
From the member library's side of OverDrive, more specifics of what is coming:

Please note that this new eBook lending model is required by HarperCollins for any vendor that licenses their eBook content.

Questions or Feedback

To share your feedback, please contact at HarperCollins:

library.ebook@harpercollins.com

Effective Monday, March 7th, 2011 at 9 AM EST all new HarperCollins eBooks orders will only be available under a new eBook lending model.

Description

Under the new eBook lending model, HarperCollins eBooks will be made available with circulation limits. Each HarperCollins eBook title will have a maximum of twenty six (26) checkouts. The 26 checkouts will be available consecutively, that is, to one patron at a time (one copy / one user), for the specified lending period.

Once the 26 checkouts are exhausted, the title will no longer be available for checkout unless additional copies are licensed. You may license multiple copies to provide for concurrent circulation of HarperCollins eBooks.

This lending model will apply only to titles licensed on or after Monday, March 7th, 2011 at 9 AM EST.

Please let them know how you feel about this!
grouch2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libraries, library, overdrive