Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Exactly how I feel!!! I loved to death his early works.
I love his earlier stuff, pre-accident, for the most part. I can't tell you how many nights I spent sitting up reading the Stand and Tommyknockers. When I was young he was my number one author, always waiting for his next story or novel. Since the Cell I've found his stuff less and less engaging, and more meandering than anything else. I have my fingers crossed for this new one, hoping it's got some of that magic the Stand had.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Duma Key was really good.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love his earlier stuff, pre-accident, for the most part. I can't tell you how many nights I spent sitting up reading the Stand and Tommyknockers. When I was young he was my number one author, always waiting for his next story or novel. Since the Cell I've found his stuff less and less engaging, and more meandering than anything else. I have my fingers crossed for this new one, hoping it's got some of that magic the Stand had.

Yessssss......The Stand, complete and uncut version. Also, Salems 'lot, and Nightshift.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yessssss......The Stand, complete and uncut version. Also, Salems 'lot, and Nightshift.........

Ooh.. Salem's Lot, I had such a dog-eared version of that, carried it with me everywhere for years. Must have read it countless times.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Duma Key was really good.
Dumas Key was his best novel in a while. (Not that I've read a lot of his recent stuff other than the Dark Tower series.)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
After the fiasco and HUGE personal disappointment of the last 3 books in the Dark Tower series, nothing could ever get me to read Stephen King again. Nothing! Not even if I was stranded on a desert island for 10 years with only Salem's Lot to keep me company. Well OK, maybe after a couple of years of sifting sand.......

Nah..... I'll rather sift sand!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
After the fiasco and HUGE personal disappointment of the last 3 books in the Dark Tower series, nothing could ever get me to read Stephen King again. Nothing! Not even if I was stranded on a desert island for 10 years with only Salem's Lot to keep me company. Well OK, maybe after a couple of years of sifting sand.......

Nah..... I'll rather sift sand!
I wish I had the self-will. After the Cell I vowed never to read another one of his books. Then comes along Lisey's Story and I buy it, and vow never to read another one of his books. Then comes along Duma Key and....well you can see the pattern in all this. I just keep going back hoping for another Stand or Salem's Lot or Shining from him, and every time I end up a sad panda
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #23
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
After the fiasco and HUGE personal disappointment of the last 3 books in the Dark Tower series,
I also really hated how the last Dark Tower book ended, but I agree with BenG and Dragoro that Duma Key was an excellent book. It was much better than any of his recent books such as Cell or Lisey's Story, IMO.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #24
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
It's not really how The Dark Tower ended per se, although I didn't even bother to read the... erm... 'second' ending. I was just so relieved to finally be done with it, and frankly wasn't even interested.

It's how ugly and twisted his creation became, which left a bad taste in my mouth for months afterwards.... but it was ESPECIALLY how he imposed HIMSELF on the reader, as a leading (if invisible) character in the dark Tower books, that really killed me!
Anyway I've never read or liked Stephen King or his type of books, (being into fantasy and classics from an early age) although many years ago, I admit I did read 2 or 3 on a friend's insistence. I remember having a bad feeling after reading them too.
I stumbled on the Dark Tower series quite by accident, lying around in a holiday house or something, not realizing it was THAT Stephen King, until half way thorough the first book.
Anyway, there is no doubt that he is talented and brilliant (in a freakish sort of way). After all he does have millions of fans. Even after Song of Suannah drove me bananas, (to put it mildly) I STILL went out and bought the rest of the series - to see it through to the revolting end! But read another one of his trashy books or risk having to hear about his accident - yet AGAIN? No way!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #25
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I haven't read any of his Dark Tower books, the feedback I got from friends never motivated me to read them.
I prefer his standalone works.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I loved the Dark Tower series. The last book broke my heart and I won't read it again.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Dumas Key was his best novel in a while. (Not that I've read a lot of his recent stuff other than the Dark Tower series.)
It was RED! lol... It was a great book
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #28
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I loved the Dark Tower series. The last book broke my heart and I won't read it again.
Yeah, I liked the DT series too. The two bad parts was the ending of book 7 seemed like a bail out, and him inserting himself into the books I found pretty lame as well, but other than that, I thought they were great.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[It's been a while since I read them, and a lot of murky water has passed under the bridge since them, so please forgive me if I'm in error in any of the below]

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I feel somewhat the same, though my 'heartbreak" was more that I expected it than anything else. I don't know why I expected that ending, but I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Yeah, I liked the DT series too. The two bad parts was the ending of book 7 seemed like a bail out, and him inserting himself into the books I found pretty lame as well, but other than that, I thought they were great.
I didn't find him inserting himself into the books lame - I actually thought it quite interesting - but the way he inserted himself into the books was a bit awkward (okay, "lame" ) for my liking. I disliked Wizard & Glass - it seemed to be filler that could have been succinctly and relevantly inserted in another book that actually progressed the plot.

The other way the books were a dissuasion (from reading more Stephen King) for me was that, as an all-encompassing mythological explanation for all of his books, I didn't feel inspired to read anything further/newer, having a sense that I'd already been told "whodunnit?"; that every new story would simply be a reflection of this core-story.

Is Dreamcatcher any good? I think I've got that in my TBR pile.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
[I]I disliked Wizard & Glass - it seemed to be filler that could have been succinctly and relevantly inserted in another book that actually progressed the plot.
I had a hard time getting past that one. It took me three starts over 5 years to read it. It just ticked me off after waiting six years after The Waste Lands he decides to give us a book length backstory for Roland that could have been handled in a few chapters.

I haven't actually read anything past book three. For the others I borrowed the audiobooks from the library.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote