Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
MaineMan
MaineMan began at the beginning.

Device: M92 black
Hello from an avid E Ink fan

Greetings everyone. I'm Stephen from Radnor, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia. I'm an electrical engineer who has been out of work for a couple of years now. I'll be 70 next summer and I have no burning desire to get re-employed. Mostly I did Digital Signal Processing and USB design/firmware. I spent ten years working on whiteboard pen/stylus tracking hardware and firmware - similar to the Wacom stylus technology used in the Boox M92 reader. I grew up in the woods of Maine and retain a deep love of trees and the woods [Link deleted]. Four years ago I built a 13 by 13 foot deck located 45 feet up in a red oak tree in my back yard [Link deleted]. Some other interests are biking, kayaking, kites, photography and classical music (my wife is a cellist in the Philadelphia Orchestra). My favorite vacations spots are my log cabin on Wyman Lake in Maine [Link deleted] and the beaches of Cape May Point, New Jersey [Link deleted].

I got into E Ink devices in a rather unusual way. In 2005 I graduated from a 3-year course is Gestalt Therapy taught by an amazing woman, Mariah, who has lived with a milder form of ALS for about thirty years [Link deleted]. Her movement and speech are severely impaired. During a conversation with her in the fall of 2007, I happened to ask her if she was able to read books. She replied that, although she could, due to her handicap it took her longer to turn a page than it took her to read the resulting two pages. I thought there had to be a better way and began researching electronic readers. My first encounter with an E Ink device was when I walked into a local store that December and found a Sony PRS-505 on display there. The device appeared to have a piece of paper attached to the screen to show how it would look when it was on. I was amazed to learn that I was looking at the screen itself in the device's off state. I bought that Sony, then got a first generation Kindle and an iRex iLiad. After we evaluated them, I got another iLiad for Mariah. She uses the iLiad, but admits to neck fatigue; better to position a reader on a stand and turn pages remotely. I got a Kindle DX. But Amazon was not interested in adding a remote button interface to their USB port. So I ended up using two solenoids (electronic button pushers) for remote paging. I got into publishing by creating ebook versions of Mariah's book for both Kindle and iPad. Now I am looking into eye-tracking devices that might be used for cursor positioning through an Ereader's USB port - perhaps a Boox M92.

After spending much of my life staring at a computer screen, the E Ink display is a visual breath of fresh air - especially the E Ink pearl screens with their rich, lush tones. They have a quiet, anti-tech, retro quality that I love, reminiscent of the old film noir visual style of 60 years ago. I find that I read about three times as much on E ink readers as I did with paper books. I have a keen interest in optimizing the Ebook reading experience - in presentation and especially navigation which can be a challenge for the slower E Ink devices.

When I learned that Amazon dropped their Kindle DX graphite, I panicked and bought one on Ebay. Then I took a closer look at the Boox M92 and some related MobileRead discussions and today ordered one through [Link deleted] (the last day of 2012 so I got my free shipping). I'm looking forward to much learning and many discussions.

Happy New Year to All !

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.
MaineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Greetings and welcome to MobileRead.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Stephen and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m92, navigation, stylus