Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Your Library's E-book Results --- The Rankings!

See this post for updated info. Thanks to tubemonkey

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=215

This is my unofficial and unscientific ranking of libraries with the most unique titles. I updated the numbers from those previously posted. Some libraries added titles since the last thread. I also adjusted (hopefully) for titles with multiple formats by adding the fiction and nonfiction titles separately to get the total number. This is by no means perfect and all errors are my own. Post any errors or libraries that should be added and I'll update the list.

[Updated June 21st 2012 - previous update Jan 7th]

1. Indianapolis 40947 .........................[ +11531 titles]
2. Seattle 40589 ................................[ +7510 titles]
3. Cleveland 38493 .............................[+6273 titles]
4. Singapore 34408 .............................[ +2985 titles]
5. Hennepin County (MN) 33824 ...........[ +9815 titles]
6. Columbus (OH) 32521 .....................[ +17387 titles] *
7. Phoenix 28773 ...............................[ +4021 titles] *
8. Orange County (FL) 28400 ...............[ +3065 titles]
9. Brooklyn Public 28114 .....................[ +6502 titles]
10. New York Public 26519 ....................[ +2758 titles]
11. King County (WA) 21532 ................ [ +5827 titles]
12. Calgary 20537 .................................[ +4565 titles]
13. Lee County (FL) 19890 .....................[ +2925 titles]
14. Salt Lake County 18396 ..................[ +2551 titles]
15. Pittsburgh 17233 ...........................[ new entry ]
16. Hamilton (ON) 17091 .......................[ +2709 titles]
17. O.D.L.C. (OR) 16061 .................... ...[ +3115 titles]
18. Monmouth County (NJ) 15948 ..........[ +1484 titles]
19. Ontario 15505 ................................[ +3018 titles]
20. British Columbia 15381 ...................[ +2111 titles]
21. R.E.A.D.S. (TN) 15130 ....................[ +1360 titles]

* best approximation

Last edited by Fbone; 08-01-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Aberdeenshire UK : Nil !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Aberdeenshire UK : Nil !
Surrey, UK : 411
Can't get too excited about ebook borrowing yet.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
North Yorkshire, UK, aiming to launch on September 13th...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I also found 5 libraries that permit non-residents to apply and receive a card by mail. Annual fees apply.

Philadelphia ......................... $15 [3485 titles]
Fairfax County (VA) .............. $27 [3027 titles]
Charlotte (NC) ..................... $45 [349 titles]
New Orleans (Latter Branch) $50 [293 titles]
Orange County (Orlando, FL) $125 [13766 titles]

Last edited by Fbone; 11-06-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
North Yorkshire, UK, aiming to launch on September 13th...

Graham

Yorkshire's going into space ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I also found 4 libraries that permit non-residents to apply and receive a card by mail. Annual fees apply.

Philadelphia ......................... $15 [2194 titles]
Fairfax County (VA) .............. $27 [2734 titles]
Charlotte (NC) ..................... $45 [322 titles]
Orange County (Orlando, FL) $125 [11828 titles with 9571 fiction]
Wow, thanks so much for posting this. I've just recently sent my $15 to the Philadelphia library, I wondered if there were others who allowed non-residents to apply. That $125 for Orange County is a little steep, they must not want very many people to apply for that!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Yorkshire's going into space ....
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Charlotte (NC) ..................... $45 [322 titles]

Yikes!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
This is a fabulous amount of work. Thank you.

My only reminder would be that numbers aren't everything. Every library's selection is slightly different, and so is their traffic. I have cards for both Buffalo and New York.

New York's collection is far larger. But it is more esoteric and young adult-oriented, and has lots of Mobi and PDF, with less ePub. And nearly every newish book has a waiting list of 20-40+

Buffalo's collection is significantly smaller, but it has a larger selection of new books being added regularly, many are "popular" in their genres, and waiting lists, if it all, are 2-5 people. And it tends to focus more on ePub, less on PDF, and no Mobi.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm totally calling in a favor and asking for my friend's Phoenix library card number!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Any DC area residents?

So, let's say I'm considering the non-resident Washington D.C. library card option...which location is typically most convenient for someone coming from out of town? I don't know whether I would take the train up (6 hrs but puts me at Union Station) or drive (4.5 or 5 hrs but have to deal with traffic and not knowing where I'm going!). I'd be coming up I-95 from North Carolina... Any suggestions?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
It is rather pathetic though to be talking about 'libraries' of less than a thousand books. I own more paperbacks than that, but I wouldn't call myself a library. At this level, it is hardly a major drawback for Kindles not to have easy access.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Toronto Public Library uses Overdrive for ebooks and mainly offers ePub, with some PDFs and a smattering of Mobi files. It appears that almost all recent acquisitions are ePubs. The library actively promotes Sony and Kobo as readers of choice. Interestingly, they mention Nook as well although Nook is not sold or serviced in Canada.

The current listings show 573 non-fiction and 885 fiction. Since I have been paying attention -- May 1 when I acquired a Kobo -- the Mysteries section has doubled from around 95 to 202 titles. More titles appear every week or two. Library access is free to any Toronto area resident asking for it; I do not believe there is a non-resident option.

In addition, the library maintains an active collection of downloadable music and video titles using the same Overdrive section. There are 1,882 fiction audiobooks, 544 non-fiction audiobooks, 469 music (almost exclusively classical) and 555 video (there may be a few items double counted).

Among the most recent mystery fiction added: Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen, The Panic Zone by Rick Mofina, Rules of Betrayal by Christopher Reich and Think of a Number by John Verdun.

(In addition the library provides "NetLibrary" which includes over 7,300 books are available: fiction, business, health, science, philosophy, politics, history, psychology, child development, travel, money management and more. There are many reference books you can use in your home or office or for homework assignments. Hundreds of books in the Complete Idiot's Guide series are available. For our purposes, I have not included these as they cannot be read on a stand-alone e-reader "gadget".)

Last edited by SensualPoet; 08-03-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added para about NetLibrary
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
The Ottawa Ontario library search shows 1418 ePubs, 1405 PDF books, and 246 Mobi (both fiction and nonfiction). 603 ePub titles available, 832 PDF, and 231 Mobi - so it would appear only 15 people have a Mobi checked out. Some titles are duplicated between formats.

You can return an ePub but not a Mobi, which makes it seem like the ePub checkout time would be on average shorter. However it isn't readily obvious how to "return" an ebook.

The library also has around 3000 Overdrive MP3 and WMA audiobooks with 1700 available. Some titles are duplicated. These also cannot be returned.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote