Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
theonlyjuan
theonlyjuan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Is ghosting normal?

Hi, I've just bought a Kobo Forma and if page refreshing setting isn't set to refresh every page, visible (but not horrible or truly distracting) ghosting of previous pages is present.

Is this completely normal or should I be worried?

I intentionally picked a Kobo with the largest screen which was also the most expensive one. Since I spent over 300 eur for it, I would just like to make sure that this is something that always happens with e-readers.
theonlyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
I've been using e-ink readers since 2009, and in my experience, yes, this is normal. Set the page refresh to every page if it bothers you.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
every eink display has ghosting, that's why refreshes are necessary

but some have worse ghosting than others, so hard to say what is considered normal
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
patrik
Fanatic
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a Forma and have set to refresh every chapter. I rarely notice it.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
For pure *black on white* text, ghosting should be extremely minimal on a Forma, yeah (you're more likely to notice contrast differences in the font rendering when there's a sharp contrast difference between pages (i.e., the next page putting text over a previously empty space in the previous page) than actual ghosting). But it's still eInk, so it's there.

Images are a tougher nut to crack. And nightmode is terrible and will ghost like crazy, which is why it's not an user-facing feature.

Although, as usual, depends on reading conditions, font sizes, rivers, contrast between pages, temperature, etc.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-03-2020 at 01:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
I started with Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Aura that used Pearl screens and ghosting was very noticeable. So my Nook Glowlight Plus and Kobo Clara appear to never have ghosting. But I'm sure that's because I'm used to what it used to be like. Carta screens seem to handle ghosting much better than Pearl.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I have a Forma and have set to refresh every chapter. I rarely notice it.
I also have it set to every page. The one time I definitely do notice it is when I'm in the My Books list and click on the page number at the bottom center to jump to a different page; then the black box in the lower right corner is ghosted on the page I jumped to; it doesn't do a refresh for that.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
theonlyjuan

Thank you everyone for well articulated and constructive responses. If I use the setting that refreshes the screen with each page, everything is fine. However does refreshing the page so often drastically shorten the battery time or is it neglectable?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Negligible. I've always used every ereader that way.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's not really a matter of battery, but some people are much more bothered by the flash than they are the ghosting or sloppy/fuzzy font rendering. I've always used full refresh as well.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyjuan View Post
Thank you everyone for well articulated and constructive responses. If I use the setting that refreshes the screen with each page, everything is fine. However does refreshing the page so often drastically shorten the battery time or is it neglectable?
As far as the lifespan of the battery goes, unless you're living on the edge of poverty you'll be Jonesing for the newest and latest model by the time the battery gives up the ghost.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 AM   #12
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's not really a matter of battery, but some people are much more bothered by the flash than they are the ghosting or sloppy/fuzzy font rendering. I've always used full refresh as well.
After setting it to refresh every page I actually stopped noticing the flash, because every page turn is now consistent. It's a great improvement plus, of course, no more ghosting.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
theonlyjuan

Awesome! Thank you everyone for the answers.