Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2021, 01:12 AM   #43126
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I help run SF cons, and they have had to go virtual. Zoom is the technology of choice for presenting programming.

A popular item at SF cons is Filking. Folks play and sing till all hours, generally performing material written by them with an SF/F theme. Some of them are very good indeed. A friend of mine is a Filker who tends to run that part of an SF con. The filkers have been doing this for a while, and can do good solo performances.

What they can't do is play together. Synchronizing the different performers into a seamless whole isn't possible. (Technically, the issue isn't latency, it's jitter.) There's at least one software package that tries to address the issue, but it requires a high bandwidth broadband link for all parties, and is very fussy about the hardware the individual performers have and its setup. This is very much a work in progress.

OTOH, rock musician Peter Frampton has videos up on YouTube of performances with his band, and they are all playing from home. My impression is their contributions get sent to a server where a mixing engineer can combine the streams and sync everything, and that is what gets sent to YouTube. Not quite real time, but effective. Something lake that may have been in the process for that choral work you mentioned.
______
Dennis
I'll have to look into Filking. I would have thought latency would have been the major obstacle to overcome in playing together. I've seen setups using Bluetooth that are so bad in that regard that they are unplayable — unless you turn your ears off and play from memory. Otherwise your ears are hearing the previous notes while your hands are busy playing the next notes. It can be very distracting,
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:42 AM   #43127
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
For over 15 years I've been house sitting for friends each summer. Looking after their dog, cat and house. It was sort of a summer vacation for me; though I still had to work. The last couple of years I've enjoyed it less; I just don't have that click with their current dog that I had with their previous dogs. Kyra needs a lot of attention and she is very difficult when walking.

After my mother's neck operation last October I took over all the household chores and soon realized that I wouldn't be able to do this for two households at the same time. In February the husband was at our place doing some annual maintenance and I discussed this with him. He said he fully understood and had expected it. But I still expected the wife to contact me asking if I really couldn't house sit.

But yesterday the mother of the husband visited our store and we chatted for a while. She told me they had arranged for the dog and cat to go to a kennel when they're away. I'm now just wondering how well that's going to go with Kyra and her behavioral problems.

Now I'm worrying about my two week vacation in September. I'm not too worried about chores; either my mother can do them (although it will take her some time), my father can do them during the weekend or they can be skipped. I'm mostly worried about dinner. My father doesn't mind cooking once in a while, but mostly he expects dinner to be ready when he comes upstairs after the store closes. I'm going to look into meal delivery services, but my father is a picky eater. I'll have to make sure to stock up on frozen vegetables and vegetables in jars/tins, potato products he can prepare in the airfryer and other easy to make food products.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #43128
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll have to look into Filking. I would have thought latency would have been the major obstacle to overcome in playing together. I've seen setups using Bluetooth that are so bad in that regard that they are unplayable — unless you turn your ears off and play from memory. Otherwise your ears are hearing the previous notes while your hands are busy playing the next notes. It can be very distracting,
Latency is an obstacle, but jitter is a larger one. Some people I know doing tech for SF con events are network engineers in Real Life. I take their word for it.

In the setup I mentioned with specialized software to allow remote musicians to play together, they strongly recommend a direct cable connection from your computer to your router to take all possible delay our ot transmission. WiFi isn't adequate.

When Filkers are at an SF con, it's mainly one at a time singing, but there's a reasonable amount of open communal singing. You can get away with that remotely because precise synchronization isn't critical. Where it is, sorry but you can't do it.

I don't want to think about the Bluetooth stuff you dealt with. It describes exactly why SF con Filk events don't try to do that
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 06-16-2021 at 12:46 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:53 AM   #43129
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Quote:
So what are you doing RIGHT NOW?
Not much
Upgrading my Moto E 2nd gen to LineageOS 17.1
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #43130
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My office is closed today for the Juneteenth holiday, so I am going to have a fill up the freezer cooking day.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #43131
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know it’s been a hot three days and on top of that high humidity today when the first thunder rumble is heard and people sitting outside of the cafés start cheering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #43132
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

I just found this Lego set. It's expensive, but I might just get it.

I learned to type on a typerwriter (last year that got taught on typewriters), I did my exam on my grandfather's travel typewriter, because the ones the school had weren't that great. I still have the typewriter. We also have an even older typewriter in the attic, I'll have to get it downstairs and see if I can clean it up. And somewhere we have an even older typewriter that doesn't work with keys but with a handle with which you select the right letter/number. I'm not sure where that is, I've never seen it, but I need to find that, too.

I would also love a Qwerkey bluetooth keyboard, but it's really expensive.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #43133
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

A new cross stitch pattern reading app was recently released for iOS, I bought it and with the help of some YouTube videos I'm going to try to figure out how to use it.

I had a great app, Pattern Keeper, on Android. But it wasn't available on iOS. Not the biggest problem in the world; I could use my old tablet. But it had problems with my current pattern. So I used a note taking app on my iPad to mark off my stitches. It did seem to load on the new app, I just have to figure out how to get it to read the colour key of the PDF.

Hopefully this new app will work as good, or better, as Pattern Keeper.

But first I'm waiting for my oatmeal and cranberry cookies to bake.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #43134
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Watching my new windows being installed. Just in time for what the weather folks say will be a record breaking heatwave.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #43135
wildhoney66
Connoisseur
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: amazon Fire Kindle 6
taking a little break from reading and wondering why it seems harder to find bookmarks than it used to be? we don't have many bookstores around here anymore and i haven't been to a library in over a decade either. the only place i've been to that has them in recent years is half price books as a matter of fact.

i was thinking that cause i was looking for a bookmark for my book
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 AM   #43136
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Preparing to venture out and visit an elderly Aunt and Uncle, followed by a visit to an old friend and neighbour. Small steps, as it were, but in these health aware times, a little seems to go a long way!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #43137
wildhoney66
Connoisseur
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

looking out my window and wondering how much it will rain again today?, enjoy your visit too
Old 06-27-2021, 04:31 AM   #43138
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Thank you, both visits were very pleasant. My Aunt and Uncle have had one another for company during our long lockdown(s) whilst my friend and myself both live alone, so the simple fact of human contact helped more than a little during those times!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:50 AM   #43139
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

We've delayed Father's Day with a week because my sister had an exam earlier in the week and needed to study last Sunday.

Since my father didn't know what to ask for he's getting money. So I'm about to make an envelope for it. I love my envelope making board and it gives me a chance to use up some patterned scrapbooking paper.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #43140
wildhoney66
Connoisseur

your welcome and it's it is amazing how good it feels talking to someone when you spend so much time away from people. one thing this pandemic makes you realize is that we all have to have people to talk to. even if you aren't a people person for those who aren't

i think they need that too, my uncle and my cousin came over last year during lockdown and i gotta say i could not shut up i hadn't been really around anyone for ages.

as for what i'm doing getting ready for bed after listing to some Doctor who audio commentary's for "The Sensorites have a great day everyone

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?