Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
How can I find all the books that PersonX has written blurbs/endorsements for?
Many of the jacket raves on (BPH) paper books had nothing to do with THAT book. I knew that the rave came from someone DEAD at the time the dook was first released for publication (and I gave a grace period in my estimate for publication delays)
The rave may have pertained to some former work by the books author, but we know work varies and not always better in old age.

OTOH Containing a Forward by X, has weight in my book
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes, exactly, MurrayPaul. This is what I mean. blurbs within a book.
Endorsements on a book seem to be on the level of washing powder adverts. I can't see the point of them. A particularly cynical ploy by many publishers. I'm not even impressed by ones from authors I like on books I like.

And actual blurbs? In the front matter or on rear cover? Often seem to either have bad spoilers or be written by someone that heard someone else talking about it. They may help sell books, but I rate them low on honesty or usefulness.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With eBooks, I dump the review blurbs. I don't read them and I don't want them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've read so many "endorsements" by authors I like, for awful books, I no longer pay any attention to them, regardless of who writes them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Endorsements on a book seem to be on the level of washing powder adverts. I can't see the point of them. A particularly cynical ploy by many publishers. I'm not even impressed by ones from authors I like on books I like.

And actual blurbs? In the front matter or on rear cover? Often seem to either have bad spoilers or be written by someone that heard someone else talking about it. They may help sell books, but I rate them low on honesty or usefulness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With eBooks, I dump the review blurbs. I don't read them and I don't want them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've read so many "endorsements" by authors I like, for awful books, I no longer pay any attention to them, regardless of who writes them.
I can symphatize. There's one author who has written life-changing books. But he has a reputation has being to generous with his endorsements to the point that some wonder whether he's carefully read the books he's endorsing.

Perhaps I can share what prompted me to create this thread. There's currently a book I'm reading which I enjoy very much. It's deeply moving and the author has a command of the language. There are blurbs in the book and now I want to know what other books these people have endorsed. This OP was prompted by the desire to find other good books.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Even without needing an exhaustive list, I can't think of a way to find that info.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #22
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I think the only way to get that info is to get hold of a copy of the book and make your own database. Bear in mind too that blurbs could change between editions and languages so you'd need an exhaustive edition list.

My gut feeling too is that ebook metadata is created by the editorial department, and the blurbs are added at a later stage by the marketing department, so even the publishers may not be able to supply the data.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I can symphatize. There's one author who has written life-changing books. But he has a reputation has being to generous with his endorsements to the point that some wonder whether he's carefully read the books he's endorsing.

Perhaps I can share what prompted me to create this thread. There's currently a book I'm reading which I enjoy very much. It's deeply moving and the author has a command of the language. There are blurbs in the book and now I want to know what other books these people have endorsed. This OP was prompted by the desire to find other good books.

Perhaps you can write to the authors of those blurbs and explain how much you enjoyed his or her recommendation, and was wondering what other books those blurb writers would recommend. Of course, if it's a very famous or popular blurb writer/author, then he or she generally won't have the time to answer such questions. (In my own case a few years ago, I emailed Jessica Amanda Salmonson and told her how much I enjoyed her writing. She wrote back and a brief correspondence ensued. I don't think this is too unusual within popular genres.)

Not to do with blurbs, but you can go to Amazon and read some of the reviews of that book you're currently reading. When reviews really hit home with the way you feel, then you may wish to check out further reviews from that/those reviewer[s].

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Another problem with blurbs is that many in the business have a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" attitude toward them. So, unless you know an author would never do such a thing, you have to treat their blurbs with suspicion.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #25
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Another problem with blurbs is that many in the business have a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" attitude toward them. So, unless you know an author would never do such a thing, you have to treat their blurbs with suspicion.
The late, great Spy Magazine from the late 80s used to have a regular feature called"Logrolling in Our Time," which printed examples of pairs of authors' favorable blurb-worthy reviews of each other's work.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote