Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mann, Jack: Maker of Shadows (1938), v1

Jack Mann is a pseudonym used by British fantasy author Charles Henry Cannell (1882-1947) for a series of novels featuring "Gees", an occult private detective, of which this is the 5th, first published in 1938. The novels are:

1 Gees' First Case 1936
2 Grey Shapes 1937
3 Nightmare Farm 1937
4 The Kleinert Case 1938
5 Maker of Shadows 1938
6 The Ninth Life 1939
7 The Glass Too Many 1940
8 Her Ways are Death 1940

Cannell's best-known pseudonym is E. Charles Vivian, under which name he published many fantasy novels and stories between 1907 and his death in 1947. He also wrote westerns as by Barry Lynd, and is believed to have published under several other, now lost, pseudonyms.

This is set in Scotland, somewhere north of the Clyde, and the heart of the plot is a sinister stone circle with occult properties.

Text source: Roy Glashan's Library.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Maker Of Shadows - Jack Mann.epub (401.6 KB, 446 views)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Hi Pulpmeister, thanks for this book. It looks interesting; I've been wanting to dig into some occult detectives lately.

Have you tried this book on older reading software (e.g. ADE 2.0 etc)? When I try to use the table of contents, the early chapter links bring me to chapter 1 and the later chapter links bring me to chapter 14.

I haven't looked at your code to see what's up; it may very well be an Adobe bug, but I thought I'd ask first.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll check it out. Probably just clumsy fingers on my part.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard

Nope. TOC Works fine on my Kindle, which is the only device I have. Also works okay in Calibre's PC e-reader. Only error is that the TOC link to Chapter 5 takes you to Ch 6 instead, which I have fixed, and will upload corrected file. I'm no techie, I have no idea what ADE is. I just use Calibre to convert my html to epub, mobi and azw3, and spot check the outcome in Calibre ereader and on my Kindle.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Hmmm... I tried it out on Apple's iBooks and everything seems fine there. Thanks again for all the good work!

(ADE is Adobe Digital Editions)
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Pulpmeister -- I took a quick look, and I believe your problem is that all your chapter id's are digits/numbers. For epub, you should start the id with an alpha character.

ADE does not recognize plain digits as id's, so ALL the TOC links are jumping to the beginning of the file.

So you can just do a quick find and replace to add a letter as a prefix to each id number, such as c01, c02, etc. Then generate a new toc.ncx.

Hope this helps.

gG

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-15-2019 at 04:48 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
Pulpmeister
Wizard

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
PS ---
Calibre and Sigil are based on QT, which honors css rather differently than ADE.

Many reading device softwares are based on the ADE RMDSK, so you might consider installing one or two versions of ADE For Desktop on your computer for testing purposes.

Version 2.0.1 is older, but still handy, version 3 changed some of the css it will honor.

https://www.adobe.com/support/digita...downloads.html

When you have tested with both QT and ADE rendering, your book stands a better chance of good display in a wider range of devices.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-19-2019 at 03:05 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote