Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Oronare
Banned
Oronare began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 7"
KFX & side loaded fonts problem? (boldness)

Odd thing happened today. I was testing out the difference between KFX and AZW3 to see any differences in formatting due to the 'improved typesetting' and noticed that with pretty much all my side-loaded fonts none of them would apply the 'boldness' setting.

I could click it, and the text would change formatting but not become any bolder. When I tried with the preinstalled fonts then it worked as it should.

Is there any known reason for this? Any settings I can tweak in conversion or with the fonts to make 'bold' apply properly?
Oronare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
Oronare
Banned

Noticed it only happens with KFX, my AZW3 books work perfectly with my fonts, boldness setting works. Someone else had this bug on reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...r_5132_update/

Any help would be appreciated, or am I just SOL until a new patch? Looking side-by-side the books seem to look better formatted in KFX than AZW3 so I'd like to keep this if possible.
Advert
Old 10-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #3
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I was curious so I tried with Lora, Merriwether, Literata, IBM Plex Serif and other custom fonts and the boldness setting works well for me.

The book I tried is a KFX. I am on the latest firmware, on a PW3. I see You have a Oasis but I don't know if it is important. But I am not skilled enough to answer to Your question.

Some information could help somebody to understand Your issue: on which firmware are You? Which font are You using? And the issue happens with KFX or AZW3 or both?
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Was under the impression KFX only worked properly with bookerly.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Oronare
Banned

I'm on 5.13.2.

Someone suggested it is because the font is TTF and not OTF in that reddit thread, which would match what is happening. I have a Baskerville font in OTF and that uses the bold setting fine, whereas the other which is TTF does not.

I'll convert the TTF to OTF and see what happens.
Advert
Old 10-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Oronare
Banned

Well converting them from TTF to OTF seems to work. For some reason the 'bold' feature just doesn't work for me on 5.13.2 with side loaded TTF fonts in a KFX book; only OTF fonts work.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oronare View Post
Well converting them from TTF to OTF seems to work. For some reason the 'bold' feature just doesn't work for me on 5.13.2 with side loaded TTF fonts in a KFX book; only OTF fonts work.
OTF is the future, frankly: figuring out related fonts in a family and how they vary can be an incredible kludge with TTF (fontconfig literally has to guess possible font names). It's quite possible the names of the bold variants etc of the TTF font you're using are not one of the ones that's being guessed at. OTF has a reliable way to figure this stuff out programmatically.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote