Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
However, if truly none of the syncing works well on the Android readers already, that could be worth investigating.
I don't think doing only the reading position is worth it. Doing the reading position, annotations, and bookmarks easily could be. And BTW: don't minimize the number of cross-platform households. According to a 2014 Consumer Intelligence Research Partners study, roughly 35% of iPad owners and 28% of Mac owners have an Android smartphone.
Quote:
Quote:
Library size of 1 - 20 being 31% of CC's users.
Is that including the demo version? If not, I really didn't think that many of our users had such tiny libraries.
Yes, the above numbers include the demo version. Here are the numbers for only the paid version
Code:
Library Size	% of users	Avg Size
000001 - 20	21.59%		    8
000021 - 50	11.88%		   34
000051 - 100	 9.76%		   73
000101 - 250	12.63%		  166
000251 - 500	10.99%		  350
000501 - 1000	 8.52%		  712
001001 - 2500	12.35%		 1680
002501 - 5000	 7.55%		 3509
005001 - 10000	 3.38%		 6500
010001 - 15000	 0.75%		12152
015001 - 20000	 0.04%		17259
020001 - 30000	 0.03%		23766
030001 - 50000	 0.54%		46988

Last edited by chaley; 09-02-2016 at 07:34 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The biggest reason that I like having a library manager/reader in the same app is the ability to see the percentage read and keep track of when books were read.
And this is another reason for a reader in CC. The data could be visible in CC in the book list. You could sort on it. One can even imagine grouping on it.
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I personally feel a reader app that can sync positions between ios and android and works with calibre companion will sell well.
I'm not so sure. How many people do a lot of reading on both platforms?

Quote:
Currently I don't think any epub app has a reading position sync even just for android that is good enough or if its good its very convoluted to set up so most people don't bother.
Moon+Reader syncs and is very easy to set up. You just have to connect to dropbox and turn on the option.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I'm not so sure. How many people do a lot of reading on both platforms?

Moon+Reader syncs and is very easy to set up. You just have to connect to dropbox and turn on the option.
Don't you need to upload your books to Dropbox to be able to sync. Maybe they changed it. To me seamless sync is something like you get with kindle. You download the book to your device and if sync is turned on it automatically opens to the place you left in the other reader.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't you need to upload your books to Dropbox to be able to sync. Maybe they changed it. To me seamless sync is something like you get with kindle. You download the book to your device and if sync is turned on it automatically opens to the place you left in the other reader.
No, uploading books isn't necessary. You tell Moon+ to sync to Dropbox. After going through an auth sequence, Moon+ stores small files in a special app folder in dropbox with the name of the book. Because of the file name, the base name (not the full path name) of the book must be identical on all devices. Each device that is involved in the sync requires setup.

Moon+ can get confused if you change a file with stored sync information. I have had trouble with lost sync info if Moon+ couldn't connect to dropbox when it was closed, or if Moon+ was never properly closed (e.g., device reboot or app crash).

I don't know what it does with annotations and bookmarks, because I use neither.
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No, uploading books isn't necessary. You tell Moon+ to sync to Dropbox. ..

I don't know what it does with annotations and bookmarks, because I use neither.
there are 2 dropbox files per book - one contains only the last page read, the other contains the other stuff ( I think- I have not done a lot of tests as I don't use notes either ) .

The Bookari cloud feature puts a copy of the whole book into their own cloud, then it cannot cope if you edit a re-send a book to a device - you end up with multiple cloud versions. Each device tries to sync by pulling down / pushing up cloud copies, but it is not a robust enough database solution to handle going in/out of aeroplane mode, or replacing work-in-progress book versions... it plays very badly with CC, as it starts moving , not copying, books in/out of CC folders on some sync settings
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The obvious answer to Calibre Companion including a builtin reader, is to use the calibre ebook viewer.

As part of the calibre v3 rewrite, calibre will finally gain an in-browser viewer that should tick most of the boxes for commonly-requested ebook features.
It also handles offline viewing via LocalStorage, and as soon as bookmarks/annotations/etc. are implemented, those will auto-sync via the calibre server.

Of course, the rewritten server is not quite there yet.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote