Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A small enhancement request for CC

Let me start off by saying that I'm hugely impressed by CC; I'm running it on both my eInk Onyx T68 Lynx, and my Nexus 7, with a library of just under 4000 books on each, and it performs flawlessly. It's made having a large library on a tablet really feasible for the first time, in my view. The best £1.99 I've ever spent on my eBook library!

Could I make a suggestion for a small enhancement which would really make the program a lot easier to use on eInk devices such as the T68? Could you add the option of paging through a list of books, rather than scrolling through them? The scroll interface works great on an LCD screen, but it doesn't work at all well on eInk, due to the slow refresh speed. You can't see the screen at all while it's scrolling, and it's anyone's guess where it's going to end up . Having, as an option, the ability to page through a list with "<" and ">" buttons at the bottom of the screen would make it so much easier to use on eInk devices.

I hope you'll consider this request for future development, but even if you don't, CC is a wonderful tool.

Thanks for considering this request,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let me start off by saying that I'm hugely impressed by CC; I'm running it on both my eInk Onyx T68 Lynx, and my Nexus 7, with a library of just under 4000 books on each, and it performs flawlessly. It's made having a large library on a tablet really feasible for the first time, in my view. The best £1.99 I've ever spent on my eBook library!

Could I make a suggestion for a small enhancement which would really make the program a lot easier to use on eInk devices such as the T68? Could you add the option of paging through a list of books, rather than scrolling through them? The scroll interface works great on an LCD screen, but it doesn't work at all well on eInk, due to the slow refresh speed. You can't see the screen at all while it's scrolling, and it's anyone's guess where it's going to end up . Having, as an option, the ability to page through a list with "<" and ">" buttons at the bottom of the screen would make it so much easier to use on eInk devices.

I hope you'll consider this request for future development, but even if you don't, CC is a wonderful tool.

Thanks for considering this request,
+1

+10!
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You are getting into one of the areas that worries me a lot. Android development guidelines push hard toward gestures that smooth-scroll the display. There will be lots of places where this interface breaks e-ink. For example, I imagine that in addition to vertical scrolling the cover and list views, the gestures that open and close the grouping drawer are also problematic. The same thing will happen when scrolling book details, in the content server, and even in the settings display.

I might be able to make a fling/scroll in the book list views page instead of scroll, but that will leave all the other problems unresolved. The issue is made more difficult because I can't test it, not having an e-ink device.

Thought is needed ...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You are getting into one of the areas that worries me a lot. Android development guidelines push hard toward gestures that smooth-scroll the display. There will be lots of places where this interface breaks e-ink. For example, I imagine that in addition to vertical scrolling the cover and list views, the gestures that open and close the grouping drawer are also problematic. The same thing will happen when scrolling book details, in the content server, and even in the settings display.

I might be able to make a fling/scroll in the book list views page instead of scroll, but that will leave all the other problems unresolved. The issue is made more difficult because I can't test it, not having an e-ink device.

Thought is needed ...
For me the menus, opening and closing grouping drawer, and book details are not important. They are limited in size so you won't get lost. And the distortion is expected on an eink device. It's only a problem on a long list of books because it's hard to see where you are at while it's scrolling and it's easy to miss what you are looking for.

Thinking is good.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. Grouping gestures work absolutely fine. The problem is really only in the main book list.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about something like this? If OK, then which direction does tapping a button go? If they are like scroll bars then the upper button would cause the screen to show the page above the first (highest) element. If they are like page buttons then the upper button would show the page below the last (lowest) element. My intuition is to make them work like scroll bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	125062  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That looks great to me. It would seem sensible to me that the upper button would do a "page back", and the lower button a "page forward". As you say, like scroll bars. If you could make them nice and large (like they are in your picture) that would be good - the touch screen on the T68 is not the most precise I've ever encountered...
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Works great! Thank you!!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Would light-grey/white arrows be visible on a 16-grey eink device? or maybe I'm taking your quick mock-up too literally?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Would light-grey/white arrows be visible on a 16-grey eink device? or maybe I'm taking your quick mock-up too literally?
White arrows would not be visible unless they had a grey background behind it which it kind of looks like he did. The light blue links in book details weren't even visible until an option to use dark blue was added.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I used the white-on-grey icons to avoid having the buttons stand out too much and to use transparency so that the text/covers on the screen would slide under them.

I am not wedded to this choice. For example, I could use the same green up/down icons that are currently used in the folder settings dialog. I have no idea what shade of grey they would become, but those of you with the T68 can tell me.

BTW: this is the sort of thing I am truly bad at (user interface & color choices), so comments are welcome.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

They way they are at the moment in the test version you kindly sent us looks (and works) absolutely fine on the T68. Given that nobody who's not using an eInk device is likely to want this option (scrolling works so much better on an LCD screen) I'd leave well alone.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They way they are at the moment in the test version you kindly sent us looks (and works) absolutely fine on the T68. Given that nobody who's not using an eInk device is likely to want this option (scrolling works so much better on an LCD screen) I'd leave well alone.
I agree.