Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Jetbook's View of e-Ink (or as the Jetbook Fanboys call it: Jetbbok Bashing)

I was looking up the specs on the Jetbook for a friend and noticed the comparison below on their Specifications page where they list attributes of the Jetbook, the Sony eReader (PRS-500), and the Kindle (1). I guess if you don't have the latest technology you have to find some way to slam those that do, but this seems like a stretch:
Jetbook column: Screen characteristics
Immediate page turn (screen update) without any flash or artifacts. Very good contrast between very light greenish background and black letters. Eyes do not get tired

Sony column: 1-1.5 sec page turning time (screen update) through black and white "splash" on the screen. After 40-50 pages of reading, eyes get tired due to this effect. Number of artifacts from the previous page left on the next page, causing "dirty" marks.

Kindle column: 1-1.5 sec page turning time ( screen update) through black and white "splash" on the screen. After 40-50 pages of reading eyes get tired due to this effect. Number of artifacts from the previous page left on the next page, causing "dirty" marks.

Last edited by pking36330; 08-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That comparison chart is a load of rubbish. It's full of incorrect facts and out and out lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I was looking up the specs on the Jetbook for a friend and noticed the comparison below on their Specifications page where they list attributes of the Jetbook, the Sony eReader (PRS-500), and the Kindle (1). I guess if you don't have the latest technology you have to find some way to slam those that do, but this seems like a stretch:
Jetbook column: Screen characteristics
Immediate page turn (screen update) without any flash or artifacts. Very good contrast between very light greenish background and black letters. Eyes do not get tired

Sony column: 1-1.5 sec page turning time (screen update) through black and white "splash" on the screen. After 40-50 pages of reading, eyes get tired due to this effect. Number of artifacts from the previous page left on the next page, causing "dirty" marks.

Kindle column: 1-1.5 sec page turning time ( screen update) through black and white "splash" on the screen. After 40-50 pages of reading eyes get tired due to this effect. Number of artifacts from the previous page left on the next page, causing "dirty" marks.
You do not get dirty marks with Vizplex. You do not get tired eyes from the "flash" of eink. This is just Etaco's way of lying to try to get people to think LCD is better then eink. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Jetbook's screen, but eink is not as they say it is.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-05-2009 at 06:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Two notes:

1) Some people don't like the e-ink flash or the delay.
2) The older Sony PRS-500 (which they show in the pictures) was known to have occasional problems with e-ink leftovers on the screen.

In any case, I think it's best to hold judgment on the jetBook's screen until you've seen and compared it to e-ink in person. I have, and it's not "old" technology. Epson controller sounds very promising, though, and might close the gap in delays, etc.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See this Kindle Ghosting Thread...

btw, why is this in News and Commentary...?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
well, maybe this doesn't apply to all readers. just maybe.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Two notes:

2) The older Sony PRS-500 (which they show in the pictures) was known to have occasional problems with e-ink leftovers on the screen.

In any case, I think it's best to hold judgment on the jetBook's screen until you've seen and compared it to e-ink in person. I have, and it's not "old" technology. Epson controller sounds very promising, though, and might close the gap in delays, etc.
I don't like e-ink flash and jetBook is only one eBook reader available on the market with non ink screen without flash and delay:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Two notes:

Some of the things in the Sony colum refer to the 500 and some things refer to the 505. The Kindle side should be all Vizplex and Vizplex does not ghost. I'm not judging the Jetbook's screen at all. I'm baing my comments on Ectaco shady business practices like the comparison chart. That chart is so full of lies and misinformation, it's not funny. This is what I call a shady business practice. They should take that chart down.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
See this Kindle Ghosting Thread...

btw, why is this in News and Commentary...?
If there is ghosting, it's a defective screen.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
It is interesting if somebody has Sony 505 with ghosting screen or this feature belongs to Kindle only?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru

I agree that the chart isn't great, and their offer of "free books" is misleading. What ECTACO should do in the near future is revamp the chart and do a comparison of the jetBook to other 5" devices (upcoming Astak, Sony, Opus, etc). At the price I got it ($169) it's a great reader, but the competition is heating up! Astak looks especially interesting (Epson and all).

However, all things considered, ECTACO has been making lots of firmware updates that improve the jetBook's feature set, which is great.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
It is interesting if somebody has Sony 505 with ghosting screen or this feature belongs to Kindle only?
My Sony 500 ghosts a lot and it does have this little dirty "pixels" that persist for 2-3 page turns. Every time start the book I can see menu for 2 page turns at least.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I notice really faint dirty marks on my 505, however most of the time, they're so faint you can barely see them, and are in places where text covers it mostly.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
So why don't we just rename this thread to "The jetBook bashing thread"?

I agree that ECTACO's marketing department sux, but that doesn't detract from the quality hardware they sell. They could do themselves a favor and hire a crack Madison Ave advertising firm, begin supporting some sort of encryption (perhaps license Digital Editions) and make a ton of money.

It's the tho old saw, "It takes money to make money!" and it's hard to find deeper pockets that Sony and Amazon.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I agree that ECTACO's marketing department sux, but that doesn't detract from the quality hardware they sell. They could do themselves a favor and hire a crack Madison Ave advertising firm, begin supporting some sort of encryption (perhaps license Digital Editions) and make a ton of money.
It's always bad if you have to praise your hardware/software by bashing the hardware/software of your competitors. It makes it sound to me like you've no faith on your own product.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If there is ghosting, it's a defective screen.
I think I read that it happens sometimes with partial refreshes but goes away the next time you do a full refresh. Still, it's better than the fuzzy look of the fonts I saw on the Jetbook at Fry's. I'm hoping maybe it was just that font or that book because it wasn't pretty. Even next to the PRS-700, it was fuzzy. The 505 and EZ Reader on display and my own gen 1 Kindle were a marked difference.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote