Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
karthikrr
Enthusiast
karthikrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (N250) / Kobo Aura (N514) / Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I could be wrong. That's just been my experience with batteries that are almost completely dead – very quick "charge," very quick discharge. But these extremes are pretty... extreme. So maybe there is another issue at work here.

Good luck. Sorry I'm so little help.
I turned it on just now while charging, verified it was at 96%, unplugged ... Two seconds later, it was 74%, 73%, 72%, 71% ... But then it held steady at 71% ... I even pumped up the brightness to max, and it stayed at 71% for a few minutes. I find this strange ...

Not strange enough that it vindicates the battery, I'm sure its also at fault, but I am not sure what else is causing these strange movements of the meter.

I should also disclose that I feel like I am wayyyy over-thinking this, and the only decision on the table is whether to live with it on life-support thru an external battery pack, or take a deep breath and dive into a disassembly. I fear this will be an impulse decision, and we all know how those go

And you are being quite helpful, so thank you for that!
karthikrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #17
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikrr View Post
Interesting, @frostschutz says the exact opposite, to remove them as one unit and NOT separate them. Would help to know why each of you recommend what you recommend! From what I am reading and seeing online, I imagine one approach makes disassembly easier while the other makes reassembly easier?
I read frostschutz's thread too, and looked a YT videos.
For me that's kind of the way it came apart and I didn't want to risk separating the inner bezel from the screen for fear of breaking it and the difficulty it might give getting the light guide realigned with the IR LEDs on the board, so I left well alone.
At that time I only wanted to get to the SD card (now I'm trying to figure out if the display driver chip is working properly, hey ho).
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Even on a sane device, the battery meter is to be taken with a rather large grain of salt, especially on these older devices (or on a device with a nonstandard history of charges/discharges).

It can and will jump around in rather large amounts for no apparent reason. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you really get unexpected shutdowns really really soon.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #19
karthikrr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
I read frostschutz's thread too, and looked a YT videos.
For me that's kind of the way it came apart and I didn't want to risk separating the inner bezel from the screen for fear of breaking it and the difficulty it might give getting the light guide realigned with the IR LEDs on the board, so I left well alone.
At that time I only wanted to get to the SD card (now I'm trying to figure out if the display driver chip is working properly, hey ho).
Hmm, I spent some more time studying as many pics as I could, and I think for changing the battery, it is better to remove the top bezel separately from the inner bezel, because that way the touch and display alignment does not change. However, if I had to change the display, I think it probably makes more sense to get the two bezels out as one piece. Hopefully I don't have to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Even on a sane device, the battery meter is to be taken with a rather large grain of salt, especially on these older devices (or on a device with a nonstandard history of charges/discharges).

It can and will jump around in rather large amounts for no apparent reason. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you really get unexpected shutdowns really really soon.
I've never seen such DRAMATIC jumps, but I hear you when you say as long as it doesn't randomly shutdown on me, it is still usable and I should use it as long as it still works. Its gone 13h charging powered off on a 24h charge cycle, so I will update again on the status tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #20
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Hmm, I spent some more time studying as many pics as I could, and I think for changing the battery, it is better to remove the top bezel separately from the inner bezel, because that way the touch and display alignment does not change. However, if I had to change the display, I think it probably makes more sense to get the two bezels out as one piece. Hopefully I don't have to find out
It was frostschutz iirc who described how to separate the screen, basically you have spudge against the inisde edge of the inner bezel, against the substrate. Tricky even with the right tools (which I don't have), though it occurs to me you might be able to use lighter fluid to soften it if there is a small gap for capillary action to allow it in (possibly ditto for the battery glue).
Generally I wouldn't want to separate them unless I absolutely had to (e.g. for a new screen).
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #21
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
When I opened it to substitute the internal SD card I removed the two bezels together - didn't want to risk ruining the screen. It's not difficult, but there's a lot of glue and it takes a lot of patience to remove it without stressing the device too much (to avoid breaks). I didn't glue mine back up because I wasn't sure if I wanted to open it again: it does stay put but there's a spot where the glue didn't take and the lightning shines through.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
karthikrr
Enthusiast

I don't know what the 24 hour charge does, but it seems the device is back to working perfectly now! I read for 3h over the last 20 hours, most of it with the backlight set to maximum just to see how the battery reacts, and even did a firmware update in between the reading. Its dropped to 96% (firmware update took it to 97%, and 1% is everything else) ...

I am going to observe it for the next few days, to ensure it truly is all good again, but I feel quite happy right now Just hoping that it doesn't suddenly drop from the 90s to 20% or something in a few days ...

Anybody know what the 24h charge actually does?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It usually helps the gauge being slightly less useless.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have two choices. You can keep the flap at the bottom open and keep it plugged in and you'll find that rather annoying. You could snap off the flap if you don't mind it no longer being waterproof.

The other thing is, you could replace the battery. But you would need to open it, remove the battery and put in a new one and then close it up. It's not the easiest to open and close. But then you would not have to keep it tethered and it would again not be waterproof.

Your choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have two choices. You can keep the flap at the bottom open and keep it plugged in and you'll find that rather annoying. You could snap off the flap if you don't mind it no longer being waterproof.

The other thing is, you could replace the battery. But you would need to open it, remove the battery and put in a new one and then close it up. It's not the easiest to open and close. But then you would not have to keep it tethered and it would again not be waterproof.

Your choice.
Or he could keep using it as is and see if the battery gauge was what was off or if it was the battery itself.

Since the last update would seem to indicate the battery is in fact fine.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #26
karthikrr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It usually helps the gauge being slightly less useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Or he could keep using it as is and see if the battery gauge was what was off or if it was the battery itself.

Since the last update would seem to indicate the battery is in fact fine.
I thought the gauge reset was supposed to be "fill - empty, fill - empty, fill - empty" ... I like this 24h reset/whatever better ... If the device works fine for the next 7 days, I am a happy customer!

Quote:

Your choice.
Ah yes, but it does seem that charging for 24h has "fixed" the issue ... 24h since I took it off the charger, and its still at 97% .. Though, hmm ... the meter still seems iffy, because it showed 96% a while ago, but is now showing 97% ... My only concern now is that it should not just randomly switch off though the meter says there is juice left. Will report back in a few days, hopefully with good news ...
Old 10-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Ah yes, but it does seem that charging for 24h has "fixed" the issue ... 24h since I took it off the charger, and its still at 97% .. Though, hmm ... the meter still seems iffy, because it showed 96% a while ago, but is now showing 97% ... My only concern now is that it should not just randomly switch off though the meter says there is juice left. Will report back in a few days, hopefully with good news ...
Congratulations and good luck! I'm happy I was wrong about the battery.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I thought the gauge reset was supposed to be "fill - empty, fill - empty, fill - empty" ... I like this 24h reset/whatever better ... If the device works fine for the next 7 days, I am a happy customer!

The meter could be flaky because the battery is flaky. If that is the case, that would explain why it went up and down. You should be able to get through 2 weeks without the need to charge and if you don't, you need a new battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #29
karthikrr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Congratulations and good luck! I'm happy I was wrong about the battery.
Not yet ready to start celebrating, but it seems to still be okay. I am just waiting to make sure it doesn't go from 90 to 20 suddenly. *fingers crossed*

Quote:
The meter could be flaky because the battery is flaky. If that is the case, that would explain why it went up and down. You should be able to get through 2 weeks without the need to charge and if you don't, you need a new battery.
Cool, so 2 weeks is my benchmark ... I will update then...
Old 10-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
karthikrr
Enthusiast

So, its been 17 days now, and happy to report that the battery is still at about 57%! Kept wifi off, but have been reading with the light at minimum 9%, sometimes 12-15%. I think safe to say now that the battery is fine

Moral of the story for others who stumble in here: Charge your Kobo for 24 hours straight before you condemn the battery

Tags
aura h2o, battery, drain