Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Marvin 3 and iOS 13

Hello,

Is anyone using the beta of iOS13 and running Marvin?

I'm hoping everything still works with Marvin and the new OS.

I figure if nobody is running the beta, I could update the question after iOS13 is released ; it's going to be asked anyway
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
No problems, it works fine.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
On iPadOS. Haven't encountered any issues.

Marvin still hasn't been updated to account for the notch, though (and likely never will be).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On iPadOS. Haven't encountered any issues.

Marvin still hasn't been updated to account for the notch, though (and likely never will be).
Probably won't...although all you need to do is have a tiny margin and the text avoids the notch just fine.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Thank you for the answers, glad to know everything will continue working just fine in a month or so
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I'm having issues getting epubs to open in Marvin by default. Before, I could click the epub file link from the publisher webpage, and it automatically prompted to import into Marvin. Now, it downloads, opens a black page with the title, and I have to fiddle around in the settings until I remember how I got it to open in Marvin last time, or close everything, open files, click to the file, click the arrow, click more, and copy to Marvin. A LOT of steps! Not sure if there's a way to set it to default, or if I'm doing something wrong, but it's frustrating.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That appears to be an iOS issue, not something Marvin can control.

I googled this article. Maybe it'll allow you to set up a defaut app??
Old 09-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I just found that after downloading the epub to your ios device you can tap the magnify glass, scroll down the list and select "Copy to Marvin"
Old 09-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I'm having issues getting epubs to open in Marvin by default. Before, I could click the epub file link from the publisher webpage, and it automatically prompted to import into Marvin. Now, it downloads, opens a black page with the title, and I have to fiddle around in the settings until I remember how I got it to open in Marvin last time, or close everything, open files, click to the file, click the arrow, click more, and copy to Marvin. A LOT of steps! Not sure if there's a way to set it to default, or if I'm doing something wrong, but it's frustrating.
Same issue here. I have unfortunately ended up most times not even getting to black page but the file opening immediately in Books. Even pressing looking glass opens immediately in Books.

Having the same frustration trying to download my daily crossword puzzles to preferred app.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I just found that after downloading the epub to your ios device you can tap the magnify glass, scroll down the list and select "Copy to Marvin"
Not working for me. I skimmed through the article you posted. (Thanks) and when I have a little more time will see if that might work for me.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That appears to be an iOS issue, not something Marvin can control.

I googled this article. Maybe it'll allow you to set up a defaut app??
I’ve read through this article and a few others, and I can’t figure out any way to open epubs in marvin, or any app, by default. Hopefully, if someone else figures out a solution, they’ll share it here.

I can get the files open in Marvin, I just wish it took fewer clicks.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
Mims
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I’ve read through this article and a few others, and I can’t figure out any way to open epubs in marvin, or any app, by default. Hopefully, if someone else figures out a solution, they’ll share it here.

I can get the files open in Marvin, I just wish it took fewer clicks.
I finally got my crossword apps sorted out and the update notes on one of them says (if I am reading it correctly) that the app determines how it gets the download. At least after the update, that app now shows up as a selection under download arrow in safari.

Apple Books app is evidently set up to grab ePubs. I downloaded drm free books from my Kobo account, Mobileread, and Gutenberg. If I tap on the file name in down loads it opens immediately in Books. If I tap on the spyglass it takes me to files.

Looks like the only way we’ll get a simpler download process is if an app is updated to the new system. Or if we can figure something from the article.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #13
diremommy
Zealot

Ugh, this don’t hold much hope for a Marvin update, it hasn’t updated in ages. It might be time to find a book app that’s still being supported.

I ended up going back to ios 12, i had too many little annoyances popping up. I’ll try again when it’s more stable.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
diremommy
Zealot

Has there been any changes to how you open books in Marvin, or is it still several extra steps?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

There are multiple ways of getting books into Marvin.

The easiest, IMO, is using an OPDS server. You link to it, browse for your book and then tap to download. There are several public servers, or you can create your own on your own computer. I've done this for years and it works great from anywhere in the world.

Similarly, you can copy your books to your Dropbox account and download them from there.

You can also plug the phone into iTunes and transfer from there ().

I actually downloaded, and contaminated installed Kindle app on my phone to test the "if an app is updated to the new system" method of sending the book to a specific app. That didn't change anything, and kindle was updated just 2 days ago... It does take a few clicks to get the epub to Marvin via the file system, but it does work. I believe it is the same number of steps to put the epub in any non-iBooks, app.

It appears Apple has built another layer into their walled garden and made it harder for people to use the app of their choice easier to use Apple's apps...