Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
tedtcf
tedtcf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile What e-reader to purchase?

I'm a newby interested in purchasing a reader, however most of my reading is done at night in a dark bedroom.

What reader will be the best to buy that would be easy to read in a dark room?

tedtcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtcf View Post
I'm a newby interested in purchasing a reader, however most of my reading is done at night in a dark bedroom.

What reader will be the best to buy that would be easy to read in a dark room?

The majority of readers use e-ink which is useless in a dark bedroom without a decent light pointed at the screen.

The iPhone/Touch/iPad all give an excellent reading experience in a dark bedroom.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
tedtcf

Thanks Tamara!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
If you're interested in ancient technology, you could always get the venerable eBookwise 1150. It's a backlit reader, and one of my favorite features is being able to read in bed without disturbing my wife.

That said, however, it is old technology. It is hard getting newer ebooks on it without advanced conversion techniques, which requires one to be a bit of techie. And the typeface is not near as nice as the more recent readers (though it is very comfortable to hold and has good annotations ability). And it's relatively cheap, about $100 new.

Anyway, just wanted to get you a little more information. Again, it is not user friendly like any of the new readers; it's more like a cult classic. For ease and more modern ebook accessibility, Tamara's options are a better choice.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The majority of readers use e-ink which is useless in a dark bedroom without a decent light pointed at the screen.

The iPhone/Touch/iPad all give an excellent reading experience in a dark bedroom.
Pocket PCs are also good for that, and are very cheap on the second hand market now that they have been pretty much replaced by phones. There is a version of Mobipocket for them, and if you turn the brighness down to its lowest setting it won't bozz your eyes up.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I take the e-ink + booklight approach myself. That gives me the most flexibility for the least eyestrain.

By the way, ted, there's a whole section for "Which one should I buy?" down in the device forums. That may have some more useful information, and also you might want to ask a mod to move this thread there.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Pocket PCs are also good for that, and are very cheap on the second hand market now that they have been pretty much replaced by phones. There is a version of Mobipocket for them, and if you turn the brighness down to its lowest setting it won't bozz your eyes up.
I had completely forgot about pocket pcs.

With the iPhone, I can reverse the image so the background is black and the text is white for night reading.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I say try both before making your decision. I'd been reading on back-lit screens for a few years before switching to e-Ink (with a light). There's no way I'd go back to back-lit.
Reading a pocket pc or my tablet always felt like having a flash light shone into my eyes.

Having said this, many other people are very happy reading on back-lit screens. You really should try both and make your mind up based on your experience.

Last edited by m-reader; 05-26-2010 at 01:44 PM.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post

Having said this, many other people are very happy reading on back-lit screens. You really should try both and make your mind up based on your experience.
I'm guessing that your backlit devices weren't capable of reversing the image to make the background black and the text white. It nicely takes care of the "flashlight" effect.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
tedtcf

Many thanks to all your advice, I'm happy to get all your input!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
You should look at the "Which one should I buy?" forum. It is very helpful. Good luck!
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I'm guessing that your backlit devices weren't capable of reversing the image to make the background black and the text white. It nicely takes care of the "flashlight" effect.
I have been reading on various eInk eBook readers for the last couple of years and recently tried reading on my iPhone at night. I love the idea of not needing a book light, but did find, even with the image reversed or using a 'blue on dark blue' theme, that I had more eye strain than I do when I use my book light. But everyone is different and I did read for years on my Pocket PC without any issues.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My HP PDA and Samsung Omnia smartphone still serve me well enough for reading. The HP has both Freda and Mobipocket reader software installed whilst the Omnia has just Mobipocket.

I do however notice the difference between a backlit LCD screen and the e-ink screen of my Sony PRS-300 when reading for extended periods. the backlit LCD, even with more eye friendly colour schemes does cause eyestrain and more tiredness.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
You may want to hold off until about mid-late summer this year. A number of tablets are coming out, at least a few of which will have the Pixel Qi display (combined e-ink + backlit screen).

Google for "Pixel Qi" if you're curious about how the screen works.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
the backlit LCD, even with more eye friendly colour schemes does cause eyestrain and more tiredness.
Tiredness not necessarily being a bad thing when you are reading in bed at night ...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote