Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Sony Celebrates 10 Millionth Book Download

Quote:
SONY'S READER STORE CELEBRATES ITS 10 MILLIONTH BOOK DOWNLOAD
Marks Digital Reading Milestone with 10 Most Purchased Books of All Time

SAN DIEGO – May 6, 2010

Enabling a revolution in digital reading, Sony today announced that as of May 5, book lovers and eBookworms have downloaded more than 10 million books from the Reader™ Store. This does not include the millions of books downloaded from other sources such Google Books and public libraries, or through other ebookstores in the U.S. or Sony affiliated bookstores in Europe. In celebration, all accounts with an eBook purchase from the Reader Store on May 5, 2010 will receive a $10 credit for future purchases on the store. The 10 millionth book downloaded was "Digital Fortress," by Dan Brown.

In addition, Sony is marking the 10 millionth book milestone by announcing the 10 most purchased books of all time on the Reader Store:

1. 1. "The Lost Symbol," by Dan Brown
2. 2. "I, Alex Cross," by James Patterson
3. 3. "Breaking Dawn," by Stephenie Meyer
4. 4. "Eclipse," by Stephenie Meyer
5. 5. "The Help," by Kathryn Stockett
6. 6. "Twilight," by Stephenie Meyer
7. 7. "New Moon," by Stephenie Meyer
8. 8. "The Lovely Bones," by Alice Sebold
9. 9. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," by Stieg Larsson
10. 10."The Last Song," by Nicholas Sparks

Since its inception in September 2006, Sony's Reader Store has included a wide offering of new releases and bestselling eBook titles for book lovers of all kinds. Today it features access to more than one million titles and links to borrow eBooks from local public libraries nationwide.

I am not sure how this compares to Amazon's downloads but I was surprised that Sony would have that many.
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM34857 View Post
I am not sure how this compares to Amazon's downloads but I was surprised that Sony would have that many.
Actually, Sony has been selling a lot more eBooks since the switch to ePub due to the proliferation of readers that support ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
So much for piracy having an impact on sales. According to this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81556, Twilight is the 7th most pirated book, however Sony has as number 6 on their list of best sellers - go figure.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm a little disappointed by the books in that list, but that's the way she goes. Yay Sony!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
9 million of those were the free classic books
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Wow four Stephenie Meyer authored titles in the top ten. I guess tween girls, or tween girls at heart, are really into the Sony e-book thing.

"Ow—ooo—Vampires in love." (sung to the tune of Jackson Brown's Lawyers In Love). Guess, you have to be old enough.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Wow four Stephenie Meyer authored titles in the top ten. I guess tween girls, or tween girls at heart, are really into the Sony e-book thing.

"Ow—ooo—Vampires in love." (sung to the tune of Jackson Brown's Lawyers In Love). Guess, you have to be old enough.
I know a lady 57 years old who read all 4 books and absolutely loved them.
She is a very smart lady, computer science teacher.
Along with Twilight she reads books such as:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka
Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier
The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh

Apparently the audience of the Twilight series ranges far and wide beyond tween age or tween girls at heart
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, Sony has been selling a lot more eBooks since the switch to ePub due to the proliferation of readers that support ADE.
I know that I have started buying from Sony again now that they have switched to ePub, especially since I am able to deDRM ePub books. I find it easier to find new books on Sony than on Amazon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Sony still don't know france exists...
And I don't like having to use a software to get books... ADE is already too much.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Congrats to Sony-quite an accomplishment! And very happy they are willing to share their numbers with us.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, I imagine this is true, it just makes sense. And I do not doubt you. But I am interested where you got this information. I hope other sellers will learn from this.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Sony still don't know france exists...
I am taking France's existence on faith. Never been there, but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. Portugal is another matter.

I have a feeling it is another Bigfoot hoax.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote