Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Chesterton, G.K.: Father Brown Omnibus. v6. 21st Feb 2010

The complete "Father Brown" stories of G.K.Chesterton. This omnibus contains the following books:

1. The Innocence of Father Brown
2. The Wisdom of Father Brown
3. The Incredulity of Father Brown
4. The Secret of Father Brown
5. The Scandal of Father Brown

More information (from "Wikipedia"): No real spoilers here, so feel free to read it!

Father Brown is a short, stumpy Catholic priest, "formerly of Cobhole in Essex, and now working in London", with shapeless clothes and a large umbrella, but an uncanny insight into human evil.

He makes his first appearance in the famous story "The Blue Cross" and continues through the five volumes of short stories, often assisted by the reformed criminal Flambeau.

Unlike his more famous co-detective Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown's methods tend to be intuitive rather than deductive. He explains his method in "The Secret of Father Brown": "You see, I had murdered them all myself... I had planned out each of the crimes very carefully. I had thought out exactly how a thing like that could be done, and in what style or state of mind a man could really do it. And when I was quite sure that I felt exactly like the murderer myself, of course I knew who he was."

Father Brown's abilities are also considerably shaped by his experience as a priest and confessor. In "The Blue Cross", when asked by Flambeau, who has been masquerading as a priest, how he knew of all sorts of criminal "horrors", he responds: "Has it never struck you that a man who does next to nothing but hear men's real sins is not likely to be wholly unaware of human evil?". He also states a reason why he knew Flambeau was not a priest: "You attacked reason. It's bad theology." And indeed, the stories normally contain a rational explanation of who the murderer was and how Brown worked it out.

Despite his devotion, or perhaps, because of it, Father Brown always emphasises rationality: some stories, such as "The Miracle of Moon Crescent" and "The Blast of the Book", poke fun at initially sceptical characters who become convinced of a supernatural explanation for some strange occurrence, while Father Brown, despite, or rather because of, his religion and his belief in God and miracles, easily sees the perfectly ordinary, natural explanation. In fact, he seems to represent an ideal of a devout, yet considerably educated and "civilised" clergyman.

Enjoy!

Edit: 6 NOV 07

Uploaded v2 with significantly improved formatting.

Edit: 31 DEC 07

Created a proper MobiPocket version with library information, etc. Uploaded v3.

Edit: 23 MAR 08

Recreated the book to fix a problem with paragraph breaks. Uploaded v4.

EDIT: 9 Jul 09

Thoroughly proof-read the book against the Penguin edition of "The Complete Father Brown". Fixed several thousand errors as a result, and restored all the missing italics, accented letters, and other formatting which had been lost in the text-only source files. Uploaded v5.

EDIT: 21 Feb 10

Corrected some coding problems which prevented a clean conversion to ePub format. Uploaded v6.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Father Brown Omnibus.epub (855.1 KB, 3120 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I've always loved the Father Brown stories! Thanks. If only Cadfael were in the public domain as well.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Harry! I read a couple of Father Browns when I was ten years old, and I've thought about trying one now to see if I would still like it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks. I've heard mention of Father Brown for years but I've never read any of these books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Linuxgirl
Linuxgirl began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
Thumbs down Father Brown Omnibus

Big, big thank you.
I love reading Father Brown stories, but never found more than "The innocence of Father Brown" and "The wisdom of Father Brown" for my little PB360.
Now I finally get to read the rest of them.
Linuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many thanks, Harry. A too long-neglected re-read is coming on. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
minakami
minakami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Thank you
minakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Tony Foley
Tony Foley began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Thank you, looking forward to re-reading,
Tony Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Thank you so much!! I have the dead tree book for this, but this is so much more convenient to carry around. They are perfect for intermittent filler reading, as well as immersive reading due to their sheer volume!!!
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
rogert
rogert began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 650 touch edition
Thanks Harry these books bring back memories of my childhood sitting at a very wooden desks in a drafty classroom as have been educated by Dominica Monks who were very keen on all pupils reading the Father Brown books-took me out of the real world which at times was a real tonic! Rogert
rogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Thank you so much!! I have the dead tree book for this, but this is so much more convenient to carry around. They are perfect for intermittent filler reading, as well as immersive reading due to their sheer volume!!!
Same here. It has been a favorite of mine for over 30 years. Now I can remove the hard cover edition and use the space for other books. I can also carry it with me on my trips to the far east. Thank you Harry.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Lovely to have it all together. Thank you!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
rogert
rogert began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 650 touch edition
Harry have just started reading these again like so many others I read them all in childhood and are seeing new insights into these tales now that I am much much older!! Much easier to read the omnibus on e reader as not so heavy!! Rogert
rogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
I appreciate your proofing the many hundreds of pages. It'll save me from having to do the same perhaps.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Thank you! Just found out about these and am excited to try them out!
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote