Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #151
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
That's something that I absolutely love about the epub format -- with some basic css know-how, you can easily change just about every aspect of how a book is displayed. Margins, indents, fonts, text sizes, etc, etc. The problem is that the defaults for most books is pretty bad (though really no worse than the lrx/lrf books that I have).
Can you add a header to each page? It drives me nuts when I activate my reader in the middle of a book, and there is no text telling me what book I'm reading.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
Received our readers yesterday at 8:30AM!

Found out I probably won't be using epub books on them (without modifications). I dislike how there's a 1-inch white space all the way around the screen. The "page" is as narrow as a small newspaper column. I'm not sure if this is how ALL epub books are formatted, but it certainly is for the ones I have.

Oh well, at least we've got the udpated firmware! And we've got our readers back! That week without them was kind of rough.
If you are able to strip the DRM from ePub eBooks, you can then change them to how you like by editing the CSS. It's what I do. I add in the code to use the fonts I want (unless it already has embedded fonts), change the margins to 0, and fix the text size if need be. That way, I get books looking the way I want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Can you add a header to each page? It drives me nuts when I activate my reader in the middle of a book, and there is no text telling me what book I'm reading.

-Pie
There is currently no way to have a header (thankfully) in ePub. So the best thing to do is just remember what it is you are reading. And besides, if you cannot remember what it is you are reading, it cannot have been all that good a book.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #154
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Received our readers yesterday at 8:30AM!

Found out I probably won't be using epub books on them (without modifications). I dislike how there's a 1-inch white space all the way around the screen. The "page" is as narrow as a small newspaper column. I'm not sure if this is how ALL epub books are formatted, but it certainly is for the ones I have.

Oh well, at least we've got the udpated firmware! And we've got our readers back! That week without them was kind of rough.
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. It may be the particular book/books you viewed???
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #155
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
I just sent mine off yesterday (I needed it for my vacation last week!), and am wondering if anyone's tried some of the hacks on the new firmware. I installed the clock in the lower right corner, and I'd hate to lose it.
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveng View Post
I just sent mine off yesterday (I needed it for my vacation last week!), and am wondering if anyone's tried some of the hacks on the new firmware. I installed the clock in the lower right corner, and I'd hate to lose it.
The hacks won't work as of now. In order to install the hacks back in, you'd need bits of the new firmware which we don't have right now.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #157
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is currently no way to have a header (thankfully) in ePub. So the best thing to do is just remember what it is you are reading. And besides, if you cannot remember what it is you are reading, it cannot have been all that good a book.
Why is that "thankfully"?

LRF format has headers that are small and unobtrusive. If you generate your own LRFs, you can even have the book chapter names included. I don't think forgetting the exact chapter is any sort of indication of book quality!

To me, it's horrible interface to have NO INDICATION of the book you're reading at all times. There is really no excuse for the Reader (or ePUB format) not telling you what book you're on. Just like telling you page numbers and chapters should be a given.

-Pie
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #158
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

LRF format has headers that are small and unobtrusive. If you generate your own LRFs, you can even have the book chapter names included. I don't think forgetting the exact chapter is any sort of indication of book quality!

To me, it's horrible interface to have NO INDICATION of the book you're reading at all times. There is really no excuse for the Reader (or ePUB format) not telling you what book you're on. Just like telling you page numbers and chapters should be a given.

-Pie
Is there an about button that can show this information? That is how I find out on my device and I don't need to see it taking up space at the top of every page. real estate on a eBook Reader is too valuable to be wasted.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #159
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Is there an about button that can show this information? That is how I find out on my device and I don't need to see it taking up space at the top of every page. real estate on a eBook Reader is too valuable to be wasted.
No option that I am aware of.

Let me cite some examples.

Regular (paper) books pretty much universally include the book title and the chapter name in a header (typically on opposing pages). And the page numbers are in the footer or header. Purchased LRF books from Sony use the top margin for a reduced-sized header. There is a permanent footer that tells you your page number (and total pages) on the Reader. I've never seen a complaint about this, so I am a bit surprised the negative reaction to a similarly small header.

I would be fine with the title/chapter included in the Reader's permanent footer too, though this breaks from the standard used by regular (paper!) books for ages. I've never seen the title/chapter in a footer. This is very likely why Sony decided to take up non-permanent margin space for a header too.

As another example, ePUBS include their page number scheme on the right margin. It's redundant information since the info is already on the bottom of the Reader, but I haven't seen complaints (except for the way it decides on page number) even though it's unnecessarily taking up space... and I think it's ugly as all get out, and non-standard, and formatted badly... yuck!

Looking at close-ups of The Nook mockup, they put the book title and page number in a small permanent section at the top -- similar to Sony doing pages at the bottom. This strikes me as a good solution.

Thing is, eBooks mimicking regular books is a good idea. That means header or header and footer, as that's the standard interface book readers are accustomed to.

Any way you do it, you are taking up screen space. You absolutely need the page number displayed, so it makes the most sense (space wise) to include the book title/chapter there as well.

-Pie
Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

-Pie
But, by having headers/footers you do loose screen space and I'd rather the screen space.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #161
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

As another example, ePUBS include their page number scheme on the right margin. It's redundant information since the info is already on the bottom of the Reader, ...

-Pie

Not true of all readers. The page numbers on the bottom are on the Sony 505 like that, but not on the Astak PP - you have to press a button to display them
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #162
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are able to strip the DRM from ePub eBooks, you can then change them to how you like by editing the CSS. It's what I do. I add in the code to use the fonts I want (unless it already has embedded fonts), change the margins to 0, and fix the text size if need be. That way, I get books looking the way I want.
It would be nice if they just didn't do such crappy formatting in the first place. I know that epub will let books be nicely formatted, but it seems that no one takes the time to do that, and having margins like this just seems insane to me.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It would be nice if they just didn't do such crappy formatting in the first place. I know that epub will let books be nicely formatted, but it seems that no one takes the time to do that, and having margins like this just seems insane to me.
I agree. It is silly to have to reformat. But I do it anyway so I can change from the default font to what it is I want to use.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #164
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Sadly, I think that is true of all commercial e-books on Sony's reader, regardless of format.

If you download any e-books from the Sony store in LRX format they will show the same wide margins and small body text
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #165
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Sadly, I think that is true of all commercial e-books on Sony's reader, regardless of format.

If you download any e-books from the Sony store in LRX format they will show the same wide margins and small body text
Since I've been a contrarian for much of this thread, why stop now?

I like the margins. They are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye... more book-like (books have margins). I realize the Reader's "frame" can be viewed as a margin, but it just doesn't look like one to me.

I suspect the more "book like" appearance is why Sony did the margins.

-Pie