Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
tbaroghel
Fan of John Irving
tbaroghel began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Smile Greetings from Paris

Knock, Knock ...

Just pushing the door from the other side of the Atlantic.

I joined the forum as I am contemplating buying a reader+ ebooks, all this being a new workd to me.

Somehow I like the idea of the reader, the wireless and instantaneous purchase of a book, but, as I usually do not re-read books, I do not plan to have 'my complete library' on the appliance (while I do have ALL my music on my iPod).

I like the kindle, don't like the Sony, can't (yet) get the nook, so I might wait a few weeks/months before deciding. But I appreciate getting insights from actual users.

Regards from France,

Thierry
tbaroghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello tbaroghel, and Click image for larger version

Name:	charcoal2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	37893 to Mobileread.

I have a Sony 505 and simply love it. You didn't say why you didn't care for the Sony, but I guess it doesn't matter. It's all a matter of personal taste and needs.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you, and please do let us know which reader you get and how you like it.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Thierry and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and am very pleased with it. Be sure and let us know what you decide on
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Thierry!

I have a Sony 505 which I like, but there are plenty of other devices to choose from!

We also have a French forum here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Thierry
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
tbaroghel
Fan of John Irving
tbaroghel began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Hello again,

Forget what I said in the original post: after several weeks of careful market review, I went for the (red) Sony PRS-600.

The first experience is so-so, as the first device refused to turn on and I had to get back to the store to get a new one (they gave me a memory stick with 100 books to cover for the trouble though - good attitude from the Sony store).

I am still struggling to get ADE-protected books on the device, but the reading experience itself (by far the most important aspect) is very rewarding.

What led me to this particular device is the 'right' combination of features:
1 - 'open' reader (supports epub and many more)
2 - the touch-screen makes it almost button-less, which, being the B&O lover type, I enjoy (actually, this reader is more an object that a device ==> more 'socially' acceptable)
3 -Books management, through the use of collections (especially with the beautiful calibre software) fulfills the promise of '1000+ books on a single apparatus'
4 - seamless access to an english dictionary is exactly what I need
5 - I found that the red model is very nice looking

Regards form the most beautiful city in the world,

Thierry
tbaroghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Thiery. I'm in France, too (Menton), and find a Sony the best bet here. Hope you're as happy with yours as I've always been with mine. If you'd like a few books to kick off with, pop into my site (www.bewrite.net) and drop me an email (neilmarrATbewrite.net) of any books that catch your eye. I'd be happy to send them over to you as an MR pal free of any charge. All in English and only (so far) in PDF, I'm afraid. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote