Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh My those pics show the problem. Like Wolf, I thought the color was integrated in the plastic, but clearly not...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #47
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post

Now, what do YOU have to say about the wrinkles around my hole?
Ummm......ahhhh......

I think you better look getting a replacement.
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #48
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Hmm, seems that below the rubberized coating is the REAL color, maybe ill try to take it off with some kind of dissolvent.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #49
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Perhaps instead of the rubberized coating, they should just put a clear rubber cover on it instead. I think the rubberized coating would definitely absorb a lot of the impact if there was a corner impact when dropped, so keeping some form of drop protection would be good. I am torn about sending it back. Obviously I would not like for it to have cosmetic defects right off the bat, but I'm a bit impatient to wait to get another unit in. Of course, this gives it the "used extensively" look, so someone may be less tempted to steal it.

Last edited by RichyRich; 09-18-2009 at 08:44 AM.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #50
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
In addition to insufficent drying time, could be poor surface prep is the likely cause of this issue. Often you cannot simply spray paint onto the surface and expect it to stick. Could also be the paint is not compatible with the plastic (or any plastic)....design defect to cut corners on the making of the reader...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This truly makes no sense. We have the color bonded to the plastic and yet it still gets a paint job that doesn't seem to work. Why? There isn't really any good reason that I can fathom for this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #52
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Sounds like the normal issue with a new product coming out of the factory. It always seems to take 3 or 4 runs of the product to get it right. That is one reason that I never buy a brand new product (car or anything else) the factory has to have time to work out the issues with the process.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #53
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This truly makes no sense. We have the color bonded to the plastic and yet it still gets a paint job that doesn't seem to work. Why? There isn't really any good reason that I can fathom for this.
completely agree. There are MILLIONS of colored plastic devices and do-dads shipped out of China daily and they are not being "require by customs to be painted so they can check for lead". I call BS/spin on that one for sure. And are the cases actually using true colored platic for the cases? Or are they dyed cases where the color penetrates just below the surface? Easy way to tell is if you find a scratch through to the case and below the surface...if it is not the same color all the way through, it's dyed.

This combined with the battery issue, has the Astak line off my list. Far too many questionable issues, and as always it all gets put back on the factory. The devices are built to the Astak spec that was agreed on in the final design.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I specifically asked RobertB if these were painted or if the plastic was colored all the way through and he said it was all the way through (can't find the thread yet).

He also posted in another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Pocket PRO is made of plastic as it meets RoHS standards better and it is lighter and PLASTIC is made of resin... meaning the color is not a coating... it is impregnated into the resin and lasts. Metal can have a tendency to wear if painted in colors.

This is clearly false. I just removed the battery door on my red/maroon PP and the device is white plastic with a red coating (paint, resin, whatever).

Mine's going back I think.

`
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh My those pics show the problem. Like Wolf, I thought the color was integrated in the plastic, but clearly not...
The plastic is most definitely SHINY Dark Blue under the Matte Blue (rubbery) coating.
My second unit has developed more wrinkles where I hold it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Found what I was looking for.

RobertB said...
Quote:
We also did not do bad with the colored units. They will ship out tonight from the factory... but China Customs has to ensure that the paint used meets all standards enforced in the USA. The USA asked for such additional screening and China is doing it.

Wanting clarification I asked...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So the plastic on the colored units is painted to get the color, not molded in that color? I'm wondering about the durability of the finish.

...and RobertB replied
Quote:
Dear AnemicOak:

The color is molded into the plastic. Griffonwing is right. But, China still has to assure that the resin molded in does not have any substance banned by the USA.

The color will last for the life of the unit and should not even be bothered by fingerprints.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
completely agree. There are MILLIONS of colored plastic devices and do-dads shipped out of China daily and they are not being "require by customs to be painted so they can check for lead". I call BS/spin on that one for sure. And are the cases actually using true colored platic for the cases? Or are they dyed cases where the color penetrates just below the surface? Easy way to tell is if you find a scratch through to the case and below the surface...if it is not the same color all the way through, it's dyed.

This combined with the battery issue, has the Astak line off my list. Far too many questionable issues, and as always it all gets put back on the factory. The devices are built to the Astak spec that was agreed on in the final design.

++ It certainly wasn't the paint (as I had the black version) or the battery (mine seemed to be fine) but a whole bunch of little niggly things that just didn't sit right with me so I returned mine. Hearing these additional issues makes me think I made the right decision.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #58
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
My blue PocketPro was just delivered.

On the positive side, I do not see the cracking or wrinkling others have reported in the paint. There was a sort of crocodile-skin pattern in areas, which looked more like a bit of oily residue that rubbed off. After the rubbing it didn't look quite the same as the rest of the finish, so I'll be watching that closely. Since it appears that some folks have been reporting the finish to be cracking only after some use, I will report back after I've charged it up and had a chance to use/handle it.

On the negative side, I got one of those 256 mb SD cards that presumably has the Chinese books instead of the 1 gb card with the English ones! Oddly enough, like the other person who had this happen, my surname is Chinese! (I am, however, as far from a Chinese-speaker as you can get. My family's been here for ages -- my grandfather's grandfather was in the US for much of his life, working -- I think -- on the railroads.)

Last edited by Morlac; 09-18-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: improve clarity
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #59
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
As long as Astak is being proactive, I'm willing to give it a chance. It's when you get no response from a manufacturer that you really should worry. I had originally considered the Sony PRS-505, but it's battery issues, the fact that the battery was internal, and the limited format support was why I went with the EZ Reader Pro instead.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #60
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
My Pocket Pro just arrived and after a quick inspection it does not appear there are any defects with the paint.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for wear.

Right now it is charging, and I will upgrade the firmware once it is fully charged - I did get the 1 gig card with 300 books.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote