Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Prince and the Pauper does work on the 505.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-30-2009 at 06:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Prince and the Pauper does work on the 505.
So why don't you go haunt the 505 forum?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
JSWolf provided some useful information in response to my request. I thank him very much for that. Despite some of his earlier negative comments about the Jetbook, I think that your nasty post was uncalled for and does not contribute to this discussion, which is something that you were accusing him of. Why don't we all just stay on topic and not get personal?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
jgray asked for someone with a 505 to try out two ePub format eBooks posted to MR to find out if they work on a 505. I decided to give one of them a try and then I posted my result. I am sorry you feel helping out is inappropriate since I do not own a Jetbook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 AM   #20
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Nice review about jetBook on newegg.com website

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723004

Superior eBook Reader

This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: Excellent value, well designed, and a convenient easy-to-use device; very simple to navigate since the controls are consistent and logical; for the many file formats supported, simply throw the books on an SD card (or load via USB) and start reading; jetBook combines SD files seamlessly into file views; display very readable from direct sunlight to lower light conditions even with small font size; many advanced features (dictionary & language translate/lookup per word, text search, records portrait/landscape plus font size for each bookmark per file, can play MP3 in background while reading); native PDF and Mobi/PRC support; long battery life per charge; excellent size to fit in coat or pants pocket; protective case included; regular software feature upgrades/patches (e.g. new file formats); page turns are relatively quick (but PDF images take longer on every other page); monochrome graphics (in JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP) are surprisingly good for only 16 shades on 640 by 480 TFT display

Cons: Minor issues: no native DJVU support yet; device documentation is minimal (not all capabilities written up so user is left to discover them) but less needed since the context menus function so logically; I don't believe hyperlinks are supported with the software but it could via navigational controls (even without a touch display); audio hardware geared toward speech reproduction (don't buy as an MP3 player) but that's consistent with jetBook's primary purpose; minor but noticed light-gray appears to "strobe" in bright sunlight especially with a larger font size (and _underline_ character)

Other Thoughts: I've only had it for a few hours but can see it doesn't have the same deficiencies as my eBookMan 911 (e.g. long battery life, more font size choices, file conversion steps not necessary). jetBook is not a PDA so all features are consistent with providing an excellent reading experience. Not really competing with Kindle since that product focuses on book buying via 3G connection; I wanted a device to leverage my existing library of ~30K ebooks. jetBook delivers the features with no negative surprises. Tried all file formats so far (except RTF); especially pleased with versatile FB2 format so may convert many titles to FictionBook. I found that PDF in landscape mode is best plus you control the zoom level. Sort by author or title if you use jetBook's author#title convention. Easy file management of internal flash or SD card is unusual. Newegg delivery was fast and set a good price; another happy customer!

Last edited by Kris777; 05-31-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One feature that I discovered by accident: While reading, if you press a number key, it performs the function that you would get after pressing the Menu key, followed by that menu item. For example, pressing "2" while reading will toggle a bookmark on/off. This saves an extra key press.

Last edited by jgray; 05-31-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:05 AM   #22
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
jgray,
I understand your perspective and appreciate the fact that by pointing out short-comings in the firmware you are in effect, asking the Ectaco team to step up and improve the product. This would be wonderful, and I can't imagine that Ectaco is not planning new firmware (and probably hardware) versions. As we can see from other threads, there are many people who prefer LCD over the current eink offerings. The new discounted jetBook prices should also entice new users.

It just seemed that JSWolf summarily dismissed the jetBook in favor of the Sony and perhaps other readers based on your comments, and I didn't think that was appropriate or that his conclusion was correct or logical to deduce from one discussion point/book (as his avatar would say ;-). Again, just my opinion.

I agree that formatting is one factor of readability and usability. One main reason that I didn't buy the Sony was that I would be required to have "helper" software - either Sonys or Calibre (which I tried and was very impressed with the features), in order to load and manage my books on the reader - and no folders. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with yet another software package with all the inherent problems.

So, I agree with your basic goal, and as soon as I find something to complain about, I will!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #23
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kris777 - thanks for pointing out the free Harlequin books - you made my day! (Now everyone knows my deep, dark, reading secret - a weakness for romance books :-)
-- No wonder I don't need a dictionary!

JSWolf - I just saw your later posts. Yes, it was helpful to test the books on the Sony, it was just your general conclusion that I didn't agree with - but everyone is certainly entitled to express an opinion. That's what makes these forums so interesting.

I totally agree with the newegg review posted above. It mirrors my 2-day experience with the jetBook exactly, except that I am also reading an rtf book and it works perfectly.

I wish there were a summary of all the undocumented jetBook features - seems I could get more functionality than I know about. Is there any way to get a comprehensive summary posted somewhere (like in a new forum)? I realize that I am asking someone to spend time and do the work since I cannot - but it would be helpful and perhaps assist Ectaco in updating their manual.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #24
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I understand your perspective and appreciate the fact that by pointing out short-comings in the firmware you are in effect, asking the Ectaco team to step up and improve the product.
I contacted Ectaco to let them know about some of these shortcomings and to ask when we might expect new firmware that adresses them. It probably wouldn't hurt for others to do the same.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Kris777 - thanks for pointing out the free Harlequin books - you made my day! (Now everyone knows my deep, dark, reading secret - a weakness for romance books :-)
-- No wonder I don't need a dictionary!
rgeorg, I'm glad that you like these books. I downloaded all 16 ePub books from Harlequin website on my jetBook last week just to see how it looks on jetBook screen but my wife started to read these books... so I guess I will have no access to my jetBook for 2-3 weeks
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
firmware 30i is beta and just up i'll post what differences i notice if any soon. Btw this thing was awesome on a trip to maui i did 3months ago. i took a fanny pack(just for the trip) the fanny pack was small it held my ds, psp and jetbook. Lemme tell you it was ALOT easier to carry a stupid fanny pack than leave all my electronics in my bag that was in the overhead compartment, considering everyone had carry ons and there was virtually zero room, having everying at my belts ready was awesome, yea it fit just fine, and read pretty well with the airplane light.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanx View Post
firmware 30i is beta and just up i'll post what differences i notice if any soon. Btw this thing was awesome on a trip to maui i did 3months ago. i took a fanny pack(just for the trip) the fanny pack was small it held my ds, psp and jetbook. Lemme tell you it was ALOT easier to carry a stupid fanny pack than leave all my electronics in my bag that was in the overhead compartment, considering everyone had carry ons and there was virtually zero room, having everying at my belts ready was awesome, yea it fit just fine, and read pretty well with the airplane light.
Thanks for the heads up on the newest update. Do you know what enhancements it is suppose to have? I hope one of them is better lit support.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #28
jgray
Fanatic

v0.30i is the "latest firmware" that I mentioned flashing. I could find no changelog and could see no difference in functionality (except possibly line spacing). Perhaps someone else will notice something I missed.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The only difference I saw between 30e and 30i was the go to sleep after x minutes of inactivity seemed more reliable in 30i.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #30
rgeorg
Guru

Kris777,
Guess you'll just have to buy another jetBook! I'm trying to entice my daughter to read more English (she goes to a Greek school and needs to practice English). I figure that the jetBook, being a new gadget, with a built-in dictionary for convenience, will be a selling point. I'll have to try over the summer when she has some time.

Regarding the firmware upgrade, if sleep mode is the only change then that's not enough for me to start fooling around with flashing new firmware and whatever risks that may entail.

imaredr, Does the jetBook support lit files at all? LIT is not on the list so I didn't even try. I have the same question with HTML files. I recall someone saying that some HTML files can display. Not a big deal since there are many LIT -> TXT converters around, but interesting to know. I'll try it and see.