Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Where's the HTML?

I apologize in advance if this question is just plain ignorant or has been done to death – though I didn’t find such a discussion via search.

Why is there no sub-forum for the upload of device-independent HTML files?

I keep almost all my ebooks in HTML, both for reasons of searchability and because we are now a multi-reader household. Keeping a good quality HTML file also means – I hope – that I’m future-proofed as far as new devices coming on to the market goes.

Given that I’ve gathered the freely-available tools necessary to convert from HTML to the reader formats we use, it makes more sense to me to download a single HTML file and convert it as needed. I realize that there are highly formatted books where device specific work is essential, but that isn’t true of the vast majority of stuff I download.

In addition, having a collection in HTML format would encourage co-operative working. If you are offended by my lack of rigour when it comes to em dashes, you are welcome to reformat the HTML, to the benefit of users of all ‘terminal’ formats. For me, at least, such a process would seem to be much simpler than making changes to anything which is already in a terminal format.

This is not an argument for not uploading in terminal formats, I’m simply wondering why there doesn’t seem to be a place for the format which already underlies most of the others.

Once again, apologies if this is just a stupid question.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We are not aiming to reproduce the collections at places like PG. The whole point of this eBook collection is that is contains "terminal formats". If you want the "raw" HTML, in most cases you can download it directly from PG.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are a few HTML uploads. They are in the Other Books forum, with HTML in the title. If enough ebooks were uploaded in this format, then there would be more impetus for a separate forum. Some (perhaps most) of our ebook uploaders prefer to only post terminal formats, they are doing the work so they get to choose.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote