Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is a page-turn remote is a good idea?
Yes 46 55.42%
No 37 44.58%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's not wireless, but...
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...ghtness-video/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I turn the page with the thumb of the same hand I hold the reader with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I use one (on Android) for reading on the treadmill. Works great.
I envy you. I can't read on the treadmill, sadly. I'd probably use it a lot more if I could. I'd get more reading done, too.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I envy you. I can't read on the treadmill, sadly. I'd probably use it a lot more if I could. I'd get more reading done, too.
I'm only good up to about 3.4mph. Reading goes out the window when I go faster than that. So I stay slow-ish, walk longer, and read more (at least that's the excuse I'm giving myself for not straying into "jogging/running" territory!).

It's kind of spoiled me for outdoor walking, though. The whole time, I'm thinking about how I'd like to be reading!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #19
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
KindleLazy for Pw3 through Oasis works great but does require the jailbreak. Also wish something like this were possible with the kobos.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's kind of spoiled me for outdoor walking, though. The whole time, I'm thinking about how I'd like to be reading!
I listen to audiobooks when I'm out walking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Very useful for people with disabilities. I'd like one for my Kobo.
Disabilities are probably the best reason for a remote like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd welcome a page-turn remote for when I'm on my stationary bicycle. Maybe I'd spend more time on it.
Exercising while reading- another great reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Should work fine with eInk Android devices. A number of them support Bluetooth.
Quote:
I use one (on Android) for reading on the treadmill. Works great.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly; you're both saying that I can buy a bluetooth page-turn remote and it would work on my Kindle? Those remotes are pricey but this seems the simplest solution presented thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Oh, thanks for that. Interesting to see a professional article linking back to Mobileread! I've never jail-broken before but this is certainly an option. A small presentation-style remote seems perfect. I see the 'hack' might not work fully for Voyage but all I need it is for the thing we must ever constantly do as we read, the page-forward, which should work. Anything else I don't mind moving my hand to the screen.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to be somewhere where I can turn off all external stimuli to utilize audiobooks. I'd probably find myself in the middle of the street (or knee-deep in a pond) if tried walking outdoors with a good book being read to me!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'm only good up to about 3.4mph. Reading goes out the window when I go faster than that. So I stay slow-ish, walk longer, and read more (at least that's the excuse I'm giving myself for not straying into "jogging/running" territory!).

I top out at 3.5 most days anyway. I keep telling myself I'm gonna move past the "power walk" speeds eventually. I prefer outdoor walking but... there are people out there.

I think it's my minor balance issues - my upper body compensates so I'm not holding still enough to read. But I think continuing to use the treadmill will help improve that. It's only been a few weeks. Unlike walking outdoors, the treadmill enforces consistency. So who knows? Maybe with practice, I, too, will be able to read while treadmilling.

Quote:
My mind wanders too much for audiobooks. I listen to Dragnet most of the time, requires less focus to track what's going on. Sometimes music, but usually a radio show. I can't comfortably do either on the treadmill because the ancient thing is soooo loud. I need noise-blocking headphones, I guess.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly; you're both saying that I can buy a bluetooth page-turn remote and it would work on my Kindle? Those remotes are pricey but this seems the simplest solution presented thus far.
No, it'll work on Android eInk devices. Kindles (eInk Kindles, that is) don't run Android (and don't have Bluetooth). Companies like Onyx, Boyue, etc, make eInk Android devices.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-10-2017 at 01:00 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:
I also listen to audiobooks whether outside or on the treadmill. Unfortunately I run instead of walking when on the treadmill (except for warm up and cool down; during the main part I'm over 5mph) so even with the remote I don't think I'd be able to master reading pages while exercising; sometimes paying attention to audio is hard enough, heh! But there is the possibility that I could start walking on the treadmill too just to get in some more exercise while reading if I get a remote.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No. Sorry for any confusion. I'm using a cheap bluetooth multimedia/shutter remote to turn pages in any of my Android Reading apps (the Kindle app included) on my Android tablet. That solution can only work on devices that have bluetooth (and reading apps that allow you to turn pages with the device's volume-control buttons).

I DO think it would be great if eink devices could do it too, though. I just don't use one anymore, myself.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd love to have a page turning remote for my Kindle. Partially because I'm lazy, and partially because it would be ideal for reading in bed. I don't know how much of a market there is for it, but I could guarantee they'd sell at least one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd love to have a page turning remote for my Kindle. Partially because I'm lazy, and partially because it would be ideal for reading in bed. I don't know how much of a market there is for it, but I could guarantee they'd sell at least one.
I will admit to using my remote for reading while lying down quite a bit. In comfortable repose on my side, one-handed page turning is out of the question, and my other hand would either have to be constantly poised in an uncomfortable position, or have to travel great distances way too frequently. The remote means I dictate the position, and not the device (or my manual dexterity limitations).
Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
No, it'll work on Android eInk devices. Kindles (eInk Kindles, that is) don't run Android (and don't have Bluetooth). Companies like Onyx, Boyue, etc, make eInk Android devices.
Quote:
No. Sorry for any confusion. I'm using a cheap bluetooth multimedia/shutter remote to turn pages in any of my Android Reading apps (the Kindle app included) on my Android tablet. That solution can only work on devices that have bluetooth (and reading apps that allow you to turn pages with the device's volume-control buttons).

I DO think it would be great if eink devices could do it too, though. I just don't use one anymore, myself.
I see, thanks both of you. How cheap is cheap, DiapDealer? The one Harry linked to is pretty pricey.

Since there is the Kindle eink hack should I want to do it, I don't think this issue is big enough for me to switch at the moment now that I'm happily settled in my walled garden. But I would still love to see a remote that simply works with it, no tech-savvy fiddling needed.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see, thanks both of you. How cheap is cheap, DiapDealer? The one Harry linked to is pretty pricey..
$16.

Remember mine's not billed as a "page-turner" it's just a media remote that makes the device think its volume buttons are being pressed. The reading app usually has a setting for using the volume buttons to turn pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Blueto.../dp/B00WFXWKY4