Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 6G
Converting RTF to ePub with NCX

I'm OCD about editing errors in my ebooks, so I check the editing, and save my files as RTF. Then, I use Calibre to convert them to ePub.

However, I recently started using the Marvin reader program on my iPod, and love the "Pages left in Chapter" function. I sent an email to the designer, and was told that I needed an NCX file with my ePub to get that function to work with my edited ebooks.

Can anyone give me an idea -how- to do this? I use MS Word to make the RTF, then let Calibre do the rest. I have no clue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Check this out if you are running Word under Windows:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213372

It is an add in that will create epubs.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablerose View Post
I'm OCD about editing errors in my ebooks, so I check the editing, and save my files as RTF. Then, I use Calibre to convert them to ePub.
Use Atlantis Word Processor to convert .rtf to ePub; read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48775

It's better than Calibre and also you can edit the .rtf in the same Atlantis.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Do you use styles in word? If not, you should make yourself familiar with them, first because using them makes working with word much better (and it is not difficult to use) and second, if you make ebooks out of your word documents it results in much better code and better ebooks. I ask this, because calibre should make a toc for you, if you give your headers a header style. Oh, and since a few weeks you could convert docx directly with calibre, no need to save them first as rtf. This is not the best possible way to make a ebook, butthe output is reasonably well, if you use styles in word.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you look around you can find a coupon that will allow you to get Atlantis for $10.

Unless you are into heavy formatting including tables, then Atlantis works very well and a number of people have said it produces clean code. This can be difficult using Word unless you are familiar with it, particularly styles.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Usage of my add-in is free and produces a clean ePUB. You may need to touch it up in Sigil afterwards for some splitting on chapters and generating a TOC. In a future version that part would also no longer be required.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 6G
Thanks all for the quick replies. I'll do some testing in the next couple days and see what works best for me.
Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote