Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
fw5.3.3 for KPW and fw5.3.2 for KT: how different?

How different are fw5.3.3 for Kindle Paperwhite and fw5.3.2 for kindle touch?

Ok, the java framework is obfuscated an then single files are obviously different.

But what about system files? Are there so many differences? What about device support?

For example, I've been told by Ixtab to be very careful substituting libraries on KPW since I could easily brick my kindle (once again, thank you Ixtab!).

By the way, I see that KPW uses the same libfreetype 6.3.20 used also by previous KT firmwares. In KT this library can be substituted by libfreetype 6.8.1 which renders fonts that the previous version show garbled.

I can confirm that KT with the 5.3.2 firmware works very well with libfreetype-6.8.1 (which is still symlinked by libfreetype.so.6 after the upgrade).

Any guess that it could be supported even by KPW?

As anyone tried to run fw5.3.3 on KT? Any chan

Last edited by pirl8; 03-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi... don't have a PW so cant EASILY side by side.

I would think they are pretty damn similar.

Might I ask what it is about the other FW that you want specifically, perhaps a more clinical appraisal of exactly what you want might make that a closer reality.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Might I ask what it is about the other FW that you want specifically.
Nothing at all (apart from the libfreetype, of course). Having them phisically here side by side I'm just wondering how different are their firmware.

And how different is eventually their hardware, even on the same models.

Actually I have 3 kindles here.
A KT with serial B011 (with a minor eink display damage), a KT3G with serial B010 and a KPW.

I've put the same firmware and the same hacks on the two KTs. In particular they have the simple screensaver hack with the same pictures loaded. It seems to me that pictures are rendered differently; specifically, rendering is better on the KT than on the KT3G (there's less shading on clear parts on the latter - they look uniform where they shouldn't be).

The KT has got regular updates since fw 5.0.1. The KT3G is a "refurbished with warranty" replacement and has come with 5.1.1 (or 5.1.0, I don't remember) and has been upgraded to 5.3.2 directly (just after being jailbreaked). Could the rendering difference be in something which was upgraded in an intermediate step and which has been forgotten in the latest firmware? Or could the difference be in the e-ink hardware? Or maybe it's just a bias of mine?

Last edited by pirl8; 03-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
oh.

sounds like screen quality control.

I have two kindle 3's here. the screens look ABSOLUTELY BUGGER ALL like each other.

One is dark and manky, one is clear and sharp.

It's the screens, nothing else. In my case

Last edited by twobob; 03-02-2013 at 06:27 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Nothing at all (apart from the libfreetype, of course). Having them phisically here side by side I'm just wondering how different are their firmware.
5.3.3 (and any other existing PW firmware) will not work on KT out of box, because it doesn't include kernel modules for KT-specific hardware.

You can easily run diff -ur between snapshots of rootfs of 5.3.2 and 5.3.3 and peek into differencies of files by yourself. It's the most practical way.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The kernel modules for the KT hardware will run on the Kpw kernel.

That is why we can build one set for the K4, K5touch and K5paperwhite.

There may be hardware differences that are not expressed in modules.
So be sure you know how to de-brick from the serial port before trying this mix-and-match trial at combining system image parts.

You will also have to do similar surgery on the initramfs system. Lots of luck there.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Just go and try, I'd say. You can bind-mount another freetype in place and restart the framework, no permanent changes needed for that. If anything will go wrong you can just power-cycle and try again. Always remember to *not* mount your rootfs r/w when you didn't check if everything will work well. Bind-mounting is a simple approach to that.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Just go and try, I'd say. You can bind-mount another freetype in place and restart the framework, no permanent changes needed.
Yep, I always forget that it's linux, after all.

Well, did it.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite with firmware 5.3.3

I've enabled the "USE_ALT_FONTS" hack.
I've uploaded the libfreetype.so.6.8.1 packaged by ixtab to /mnt/us and I've bind-mounted it as suggested:

Code:
mount -o bind /mnt/us/libfreetype.so.6.8.1 /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.20
Then I restarted framework (via JBPatch). The library got loaded painlessly. Result: no damage, just some rendering issues:
  1. The 1st snapshot shows the "Aa" dialog with the default library. The "Junicode" font is garbled.
  2. The 2nd snapshot shows what happens with libfreetype.so.6.8.1. "Junicode" is OK but some fonts (HYMyeongJo, HYGothic, MYing Hei T, Song T) are not displayed. Further more, Caecilia condensed is not condensed at all and there are some other minor differences on how some other fonts are rendered;
  3. The 3rd snapshot is what I get after issuing a font cache rebuild with ";fc-cache". All fonts are displayed, but Caecilia condensed is still not condensed, those which weren't rendered at point 2 are quite different from those at point 1 and those with minor difference with point 1 are still different.

Hope this can be some way useful for developers.

At the moment I think I'll stay with the bundled 6.3.20 and try to rebuild Junicode to see if something changes.

Thank you hawhill!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	365
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	102267   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2.png
Views:	366
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	102268   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_3.png
Views:	367
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	102269  

Last edited by pirl8; 03-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.