Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #361
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Caecilia! I used to read with Helvetica, but I realized that it's easier to read with a serif font.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #362
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This one?

http://www.dafont.com/goodfish.font

Looks fishy indeed. Very elongated, but stylish I'll try that too.

edit: Note: I compare all fonts to Caecilia 4, as I've been using that one for over a year.

Just tried Goodfish. It's a beautiful font to look at, using thin and thick lines, but it's small. Very small. Tiny, in fact. It's so small, that Goodfish 5 still easily gains 3 lines on screen over Caecilia 4. This is a very elegant font, if you don't mind the smallness or are willing to set a larger size. Because of the elongated letters, it's less readable than other fonts, at least for me.

I've also just finished my fat DejaVu Serif. It looks good, IMHO. It has a much more "bookish" look than the blocky Caecilia, which, to me, looks much more "typewriter-ish. DejaVu Serif and Caecilia are the same size. Because the letters are spaced closer together, DejaVu Serif 4 gains about one line on screen over Caecilia 4. Readbility is about equal; it depends on what you like.

To summarize: Should I leave Caecilia 4, then it would probably be for my fat DejaVu Serif font, at least for now. The reason would solely be that DejaVu Serif looks much more like a "book font" to me than Caecila does. In all other things, such as size, fatness and readability, they're about equal.
I fell in love with goodfish after trying it on my iPhone so now it's on everything I have. I will give DejaVu Serif a look though because I too am looking for a font that looks like it would be in a book.

Update:
I just looked at DejaVu Serif online and I think it looks like a pretty good book font. I wish it was available on my iPhone but all I see is DejaVu Sans which isn't as neat.

Last edited by grant.ben08; 01-31-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Updating information
grant.ben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #363
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone know if KindlePreviewer is good enough to show the fonts correctly in Kindle PW mode?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #364
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrizz View Post
I just tried your font Katsunami. It looks great! Thanks for sharing.
I assume you tried DejaVu Serif Fat. Thanks for trying As Caecilia is about perfect for me (apart from the fact that I don't really like its looks), I've tried to make DejaVu Serif as fat as Caecilia is. They already have the same size. So, they become interchangeable not gaining or loosing lines on the same screen, apart from a few words maybe.

Wasn't Caecilia the name of the designer's wife? I read that somewhere a few days ago. Therefore maby he doesn't like us speaking about "thin", "fat", "weight" and "sharing" with regard to this font

Hehe. If I'd make a fat version of DejaVu Sans, it would actually be called DejaVu Sans Fat, and be fatter than the original, exactly opposite to what the name says

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant.ben08 View Post
Update:
I just looked at DejaVu Serif online and I think it looks like a pretty good book font. I wish it was available on my iPhone but all I see is DejaVu Sans which isn't as neat.
Can't you just add the font to the iPhone?

If you want it for the Kindle and like thin fonts (Goodfish certainly is thin), then you could use the default version. If you would like to try a version as fat as Caecilia, then try mine from some posts higher up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone know if KindlePreviewer is good enough to show the fonts correctly in Kindle PW mode?
IMHO, judging a font on a screen with different DPI does not really work well. On my laptop (98 dpi) and especially desktop computer (89 dpi) screens, fonts look much fatter than on the Kindle itself, which has 216 dpi. That's logical, as the pixels on the computer monitors are larger.

Therefore I don't expect fonts such as DejaVu Serif Fat to work well on older e-readers; the font might be too fat there.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #365
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My iPhone is jailbroken and I get my fonts through Cydia.
I do prefer the thinner fonts and so the regular DejaVu. I just put it one my KPW and it does look pretty good. It's nice to have more than one good font so when I feel the need to change things up I can.
grant.ben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #366
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Open Sans is another font I've been told to try. It was put out by the same people who have Amasis. There's even several bold versions and it's free.

My favorite Sans Serif font is Nokia Pure. It just looks amazing on the Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #367
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Open Sans is another font I've been told to try. It was put out by the same people who have Amasis. There's even several bold versions and it's free.

My favorite Sans Serif font is Nokia Pure. It just looks amazing on the Kindle.
Do you happen to have all three varieties of Nokia Pure (unmodified)? I would like to get a copy if you do.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #368
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you happen to have all three varieties of Nokia Pure (unmodified)? I would like to get a copy if you do.
I got mine from a theme for Android. I think it was on XDA.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #369
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I got mine from a theme for Android. I think it was on XDA.
I just found them. Version 1.152.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #370
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It can be found in the N9 Fonts pack online. (I suppose I can't place a direct link, but I did just find it). There is a light, regular and bold version; no italic or bold italic is in the pack. Don't know if they exist either.

Did you find a version that also has italic and bold italic? (Don't know if I'll try it; it's a non-serif font, which I normally don't like for reading long texts.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #371
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It can be found in the N9 Fonts pack online. (I suppose I can't place a direct link, but I did just find it). There is a light, regular and bold version; no italic or bold italic is in the pack. Don't know if they exist either.

Did you find a version that also has italic and bold italic? (Don't know if I'll try it; it's a non-serif font, which I normally don't like for reading long texts.)
That version will crash your PW be careful. Yes someone made all the missing italics although it's not as good as real ones it works.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #372
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There are no italic or bold italic versions. Just the three you mentioned.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #373
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That version will crash your PW be careful. Yes someone made all the missing italics although it's not as good as real ones it works.
Which version will crash the PW and why? Can that be fixed?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #374
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Which version will crash the PW and why? Can that be fixed?
My understand that the first released version of that font was called Nokia Pure Text and that it's missing some glyphs. It's a beta font and it crashed Kindles. The later version released is the one you want. XDA I believe has the fixed version.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #375
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
My understand that the first released version of that font was called Nokia Pure Text and that it's missing some glyphs. It's a beta font and it crashed Kindles. The later version released is the one you want. XDA I believe has the fixed version.
I was intrigued by your mention of Nokia Pure. It looks very readable, yet with a certain grace. I found a version on XDA, that fontforge claims is version '4.14'. (I found it here)

However, when I put it on my PW and reset it, I got an error message 'Your Kindle is broken - contact tech support'. After another reboot it worked, but I couldn't see any of my 'custom' fonts. (After removing the .ttf's everything is back to normal.)

FontForge did complain that the PS name contained a space - could that be what the PW barfed at? I tried to change the name - but I must admit that I still haven't mastered the UI of FontForge.

Can you give some less subtle hints as to where a 'working' font can be found?

Last edited by Popup; 02-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote