Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Kindle Fire Default Search Engine: Microsofts Bing

It just seems so wrong on a Google OS device.

Quote:
We haven't gotten our hands on a new Kindle Fire just yet, but we now know that Microsoft's Bing is the default search engine on the device's Web browser.
Quote:
We contacted Amazon, and have received confirmation that Bing will indeed be the default search engine. Amazon told us that users can switch to Google or Yahoo if they'd like.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...search-engine/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...search-engine/
Yet makes a certain degree of sense when you consider that Google is a fiercer competitor for Amazon than Microsoft is. Apple has started de-emphasising/removing Google services for that reason.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
As long as I can switch to Google, I'm fine. I hate Bing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Yes you can.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As long as I can switch to Google I'm fine. Can't stand Bing.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
As long as I can switch to Google I'm fine. Can't stand Bing.
For what it's worth, Bing Maps seems to be more fully-featured than Google Maps when it comes to transit directions, at least in cities I've compared them in.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Yet makes a certain degree of sense when you consider that Google is a fiercer competitor for Amazon than Microsoft is. Apple has started de-emphasising/removing Google services for that reason.
Companies pay *big* money to be the default search engine. Google recently agreed to pay Mozilla $300 million per year (for the next three years) to have Google remain the default search engine on Firefox. It was apparently 3 times more than they paid previously because MS was bidding against them.

So the Fire may have less trouble breaking even than one might think.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
ditto
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
As far as I'm concerned, a search engine isn't "part of" a Web browser. I have never used the search bar on any browser on any device. I remove that bar so there's more room for the address bar, and use Google as my home page.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
As far as I'm concerned, a search engine isn't "part of" a Web browser. I have never used the search bar on any browser on any device. I remove that bar so there's more room for the address bar, and use Google as my home page.
With firefox, you just enter your search in the address bar; it can tell whether it's an url or a search by context. I think most modern browsers do this now, but I think FF popularized it.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I think its clear that Fire is as much "a Google OS device" as the eink readers are Linux devices. Yes, it's in there, part of the plumbing. But it's not what defines them.

Strategically, going with Bing annoys Google, brings in Microsoft money, annoys google, differentiates Fire from the generics, annoys google...
And yes, *seriously* annoy Google.
(Cue in Bezos doing a Korean rap dance.)

(Then again, Google seriously annoys, Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft, among others. Payback can be fun.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I donno, I've started using Bing more often, at first it was just for maps, which it seems to do a lot better than the stagnated Google maps. But I also find that the new google ranking and search personalization changes are really starting to give me low quality or extremely obvious results. Bing also has waaaaaaay less aggressive tracking which is easy to avoid and doesn't break features if bypassed.

Sadly its name is terrible :/
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Companies pay *big* money to be the default search engine. Google recently agreed to pay Mozilla $300 million per year (for the next three years) to have Google remain the default search engine on Firefox. It was apparently 3 times more than they paid previously because MS was bidding against them.

So the Fire may have less trouble breaking even than one might think.
Must be big money in people (you and I) using a particular search engine. Wish I had a tiny bit of it. After all we are the end users.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Must be big money in people (you and I) using a particular search engine. Wish I had a tiny bit of it. After all we are the end users.
As far as Google and Microsoft's ad buyers go, *We* are the product. (Or at least our eyeballs.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Wow Amazon really are cutting off there nose off to try and spite google's face,who uses Microsoft web browsers these days
I stopped using there clunky internet explorer and there other incantations years ago.
It was Good residence to MICROSFT rubbish once i switched to firefox and google

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote