Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
How to manage this book in Calibre, suggestions?

I have a book in a folder. It is 28 "rtf" files, one per chapter (Chapter 01.rtf to Chapter 28.rtf).

How best to manage this?

I thought the title as a "Series" and each chapter as a separate book in the series?

Suggestions, anyone?

in anticipation
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Add each chapter as a separate book to calibre; convert each one to ePub and then use the ePubMerge plugin to combine then into a single ePub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I "Added" the 28 "rtf" files, no problem. I then converted them to epubs, again, no problem.

Then I noticed that all 28 books remained as "rtf" files AND 28 "epub" files but only 28 files showed under the author. Under the circumstances I would have expected 56 files under the Author? Unless they are recognised as duplicates?

Anyway, carrying on....

I then went into plugins and found and installed epub merge.

Selected the 28 epubs and ran the merge and delete.

Re-titled and removed the series indicator....

Very elegant solution, thank you.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Oops, spoke too soon!

Just Chapter 1 exists in the library as an "rtf" and an "epub".

Chapters 2 to 28 have dissappeared

I probably took a wrong turn somewhere
Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Tried many times....

Couldn't get the merge to work.

I don't know where the plugin plugged in so I just used the Merge from the drop down menu.
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
Tried many times....

Couldn't get the merge to work.

I don't know where the plugin plugged in so I just used the Merge from the drop down menu.
That merge is about merging multiple eBook records into a single record so the behaviour you describe is the expected behaviour. It is intended for the case where you have created duplicate eBook entries (possibly with different metadata or eBook formats associated with them). It does NOT merge the contents of books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
louwin
Newbie Nerd

I have several Portable Calibres setup on separate external drives and 32Gb SDHC cards where I play with all sorts of things.

I revisited this one and noticed a new icon to the right of Preferences.

I reselected the 28 rtf converted to epub files and pressed on this new EpubMerge icon and Hey Presto - a new merged book.

Thanks to all and sundry