Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire

If you have both devices then I have a question for you.

Would I be crazy if I said the Nook Tablet is an enhanced ebook reader and the Kindle Fire is a tablet? That's what they feel like to me.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you have both devices then I have a question for you.

Would I be crazy if I said the Nook Tablet is an enhanced ebook reader and the Kindle Fire is a tablet? That's what they feel like to me.
I don't have both, but I'll chime in -- you're crazy

The nook color 2 is a kindle fire with an sd slot and without the amazon ecosystem. It's a 'less closed' system with less 'in system' support.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I don't have either yet but I've looked at both in local stores. I'd have to say they're both tablets. From what I've seen thus far the Nook Tablet seems more stable than the Fire. Fiddled with the Nook Tablet for an hour and didn't find much to dislike. The Fire on the other hand locked up twice in the first ten minutes of looking at it. The interface may have been prettier but it felt clunkier and more sluggish on the Fire.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't have both, but I'll chime in -- you're crazy

The nook color 2 is a kindle fire with an sd slot and without the amazon ecosystem. It's a 'less closed' system with less 'in system' support.
No, the NT is actually more closed than the KF. Speaking as someone who has installed apps on both gadgets, the KF was much easier both for installing and running the apps.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I only have the nook table, and I'm only going to have it for a few more hours, but I definitely agree it's a glorified e-reader given the fact it is locked down into a walled garden that is so sparsely vegetated. The work-around/loophole to install apps is awkward and could be taken away at any time.

I was going to wait my full 14 days to see what developed over on XDA, but the experience has kinda soured me and I'm going take it back and stand pat with what I have for another year (I discovered I actually like night reading on my Pandigital much better: 4:3 screen, darker night mode, and resistive taps means no accidental page turns).

I do think B&N have the better machine and maybe they'll open it up at some point. I don't think they'll sell a lot of them with the KF out there, so they'll have to change something or drop the price to 200 before long.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I do think B&N have the better machine and maybe they'll open it up at some point. I don't think they'll sell a lot of them with the KF out there, so they'll have to change something or drop the price to 200 before long.
I don't know. Considering how easy it is to run non-B&N apps on the NT, it's a pretty awesome small tablet. I'm using Button Savior to access Launcher Pro as an alternate launch screen. So far, I've set up most of the standard Google Apps (Plus, GMail, Maps, Latitude), KeepPass Droid, Amazon App Store, Kindle for Android, and GetJar, but I've only had it a day. No doubt the list will get longer.

I can't imagine what a Fire would do, tablet-wise, that the NT won't. It's totally worth the extra $50.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
In that case, the Nook Tablet might be a good purchase for someone who doesn't live in the US, don't you think?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I only have the nook table, and I'm only going to have it for a few more hours, but I definitely agree it's a glorified e-reader given the fact it is locked down into a walled garden that is so sparsely vegetated. The work-around/loophole to install apps is awkward and could be taken away at any time.

I was going to wait my full 14 days to see what developed over on XDA, but the experience has kinda soured me and I'm going take it back and stand pat with what I have for another year (I discovered I actually like night reading on my Pandigital much better: 4:3 screen, darker night mode, and resistive taps means no accidental page turns).

I'd keep the NT. Right now, it's very easy to install non B&N apps, up to and including the amazon appstore. And remember that the nook color (and now the tablet) has the largest developer community of any tablet out there. It will get a cyanogenmod ice cream sandwich update relatively soon (I've heard end of January perhaps), which would give you the full tablet experience.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very easy to install the non B&N apps? Can you outline the steps cause I wouldn't mind having some Google apps and the amazon appstore. I've read you need to enable 3rd party downloading. What more is there to it after that?

I want to keep my options open at this point as I have the KF and I'm interested in the NT as well. I watch video alot and I feel the screen is better as far as PQ on the NT and it seems to run a bit smoother with some testing of done between the two in B&N stores.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to...p-library.html
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks! I'm becoming more interested by the minute with regards to trying the NC.

The link seems to describe how to get the apps to show up on the NT so you can easily find them. That will help alot. As far as downloading non B&N apps though, all you have to do is enable downloading of 3rd party software?

Edit: Found this link. It should help some other folks as well.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...hack-required/

Last edited by robertc88; 11-29-2011 at 01:18 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Which is better, I wouldn't want to say since it depends what you want to do, but it takes maybe 5 minutes to root the Kindle Fire. And most stuff runs on it, as long as it doesn't require a camera or physical card slot.
That said, the card slot is a biggie for me, and I might actually prefer the Nook because of it, even though I like the rooted Kindle better as an OS for messing with.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
In that case, the Nook Tablet might be a good purchase for someone who doesn't live in the US, don't you think?
I don't think B&N's sells nook, apps or ebooks outside the US. It might be a better choice if you can get Android Market on it though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Honestly, I expected Amazon to wow everyone with an awesome budget tablet, but some of their decisions (like no hardware volume control, no SD card, and 512MB RAM) seems to have made them under-deliver.

The Nook Tablet seems better - the only con for us techy folks is the encrypted bootloader - but it was easy to root at least.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
If your goal is to have a tablet to mess around with, buy the Vizio tablet, which comes with the full Android Market preinstalled, and then install both the Nook and Kindle apps onto it, using the Market. That way you get the best of both worlds, plus a better screen and better sound.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote