Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Kobo Standard Warranty (1st Year)- Is shipping covered?

I'm familiar with the standard manufacture's one year warranty. Why does Kobo not pay for the shipping when one has a defective device and would like a replacement? Do they only pay if you live in Canada? When I've had to return defective devices to other manufactures, I did not have to pay for shipping, but they were located in the United States.

Quote:

Hi,

Please ship the eReader to the address below. The RMA number is your help ticket number which is .... Please write this number and your full name on the package before shipping it to Kobo. Kobo will not cover the cost of shipping the defective eReader. You will need to cover the shipping charge and make sure the device does not break in transit.

Kobo Inc.
135 Liberty St, Suite 100
Toronto, ON, CA
M6K 1A7

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
I received a prepaid label in my case, so I'm puzzled by this follow up message.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
it really is at the company's discretion; I've dealt with plenty where shipping is not covered. It's possible they paid for the shipping because of the run-around you had but they still only send canned messages.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
it really is at the company's discretion; I've dealt with plenty where shipping is not covered. It's possible they paid for the shipping because of the run-around you had but they still only send canned messages.
Thank you.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I received a prepaid label, as have other folks who have posted on MR. I have no idea what the criteria for free shipping might be.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I received a prepaid label, as have other folks who have posted on MR. I have no idea what the criteria for free shipping might be.
OK, I understand now. Their general policy is probably to not pay shipping. There could be a number of exceptions. Doesn't seem unusual. Thanks for that info.
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I got a pre-paid shipping label for mine a month ago, but I'm in Canada.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
This was posted in a Canadian forum by a Kobo employee, so take it for it's worth. Kobo seems to be changing their service policies. I know of Canadians too that have now been told to cover their own shipping (from a week or two ago).

Quote:
I work for Kobo in one of their contact centers, and this new policy regarding returns is pretty lame. We had training on it coming into effect last week and it started up on the 14th (September).

Kobo is now considering the screen problem almost everyone has a "cosmetic" issue rather than a "manufacturing" issue... which is what it clearly is. I process about 5-10 RMA requests a day and almost all of them are due to screen problems.

The biggest changes are the fact that you now have to ship the device back at your own cost (no matter where you reside in the world) and that if your device is not considered to be covered under the limited warranty, they will charge you 59.95 USD to have a refurbished device sent to you...

If you have a Kobo Wifi or older, you should really read the warranty before you consider mailing the device back; if you are going to end up with a refurbished one anyways you may as well just buy one from bestbuy/futureshop for the same price roughly but without the wait time.

If you are looking at purchasing a Kobo Touch however, there is a extended warranty plan available for the device, and when you connect it to your computer and the Kobo desktop you will get an option asking if you would like to purchase it. If I recall correctly it is around $30-40 and it will cover your device from anything for 2 full years.

And I mean anything. We were told in training that it is covered against acts of god, your dog chewing down on the thing... even if you decided to put the device in the microwave... we would replace it for you.

I don't see this new policy lasting very long... it is similar to what we had in place when the devices first launched and we got many complaints. We then became really lienent with our RMA's (I did one for a guy who melted his!) but Kobo has started to lose too much money by replacing all of these devices which is why they have changed the policy back to what it used to be.

If you have a screen issue (looks like an etch a-sketch or lines through it) that you should probably just write to the president of the company or file a complaint with the BBB before you even contact Kobo... the fact that this is considered cosmetic blows my mind now...
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyra View Post
This was posted in a Canadian forum by a Kobo employee, so take it for it's worth. Kobo seems to be changing their service policies. I know of Canadians too that have now been told to cover their own shipping (from a week or two ago).
Can you please link to where it was posted?
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
How can they honestly (is that a poor choice of words here?) think that locked pixels are 'cosmetic' when it's blatantly obvious that it's a defective screen?
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's sad when the customer service you receive is linked to the amount of noise one makes. Felt sorry for the individual in the other thread who had to ship it back from Germany (I believe) at his own expense for a refurbished unit even though it was pretty much DOA.

Different countries will have different consumer/trade laws so it is worth being aware of these. It can get a little tricky if they are not trading directly in your country though.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
The latest according to the person at kobo is that the company has revisited this policy and is going back to shipping labels for RMA, at least for now. I suppose people making noise got heard.

However, the screen issue being labeled as cosmetic rather than manufacturing error is still worrisome.

P.S. The original thread is here.

Last edited by porphyra; 09-22-2011 at 10:09 AM.
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote