Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your dominant hand, when using your reader?
I hold my reader in my left hand and operate it with my right hand 27 25.96%
I hold my reader in my right hand and operate it with my left hand 6 5.77%
I use both hands independently; I am ambidextrous 32 30.77%
I hold my reader between my feet and use my nose to operate it 1 0.96%
I use my right hand both to hold and operate my reader 19 18.27%
I use my left hand both to hold and operate my reader 19 18.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Which is your dominant hand, when using your reader?

I use a Sony PRS-650 reader, plus the Sony cover with light. I hold my reader with my left hand, and operate it with right hand. That seems to be the way it's intended to be used, however I am left-handed.

In terms of design ergonomics, most e-book readers are intended to be used by right-handed people, or so it seems.

Watching this video concerning the Pocket Edge dual screen eBook reader led me wonder whether dual screen readers might be more suitable for left-handed people. However, if the user is limited to the use of one particular screen for note taking, then the other screen would be obscured by the user's hand. With some readers, screen(s) can be inverted, but buttons, or their annotations, would be upside down.

I wonder how many other MobileRead members are left-handed. According to Wikipedia, 8–15% of the world's population are left-handed (there will soon be 7 billion people on the planet).

Do you find any aspects of using your reader a bit awkward, perhaps because it was designed for a right-handed person?

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-19-2011 at 05:22 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm a lefty, but I use my right hand for almost everything. I mainly use my right hand for holding my reader/turning pages and find it awkward to use my left.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I hold it with both hands and operate it with my right, sometimes using my left hand for page turning depending on how I'm positioned. I don't think being ambidextrous would matter since there's no real dexterity involved.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I primarily hold my reader in my left hand and use my left hand to operate it (not on the poll), but use either hand without hesitation and actually switch back and forth from time to time.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It depends on what hand I need to have free for petting a dog, holding my hubby's hand, or holding a cup of tea. I normally turn the page with the same hand that I am holding my Kindle as well. Which is why I can pet the dog, hold my hubby's hand, or hold a cup of tea.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm not ambidextrous in most things, but I am with e-reader use. I tend to read lying on my back on the bed, holding up the Sony 505 (yes, I have to take it out of its case for this) and I switch hands as one gets tired holding it up. When I'm using just one hand (or sitting in a more conventional position) it's usually my left, as that's most convenient for the round page-turn button, but like ProfCrash, I'll still switch once in a while and use the buttons on the right instead, depending on the whole spouse, pet, tea, etc., situation.

This leads to an interesting thought: I'm planning to make leather reader covers and probably sell them on Etsy, once I've got my own done (does anyone have a round tuit I could borrow? I seem to need one). All of the book-style covers I've ever seen have opened on the right, like a western book. Would anyone (lefties?) be interested in one that opened on the left, like manga?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Worldwalker - a Hebrew or other right-left language reader cover - I like it! (G)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
I have asked a moderator to add two more options:
I use my right hand both to hold and operate my reader
I use my left hand both to hold and operate my reader
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
This leads to an interesting thought: I'm planning to make leather reader covers and probably sell them on Etsy, once I've got my own done (does anyone have a round tuit I could borrow? I seem to need one). All of the book-style covers I've ever seen have opened on the right, like a western book. Would anyone (lefties?) be interested in one that opened on the left, like manga?

Some might prefer cases that flip up like a notepad... I personally don't mind the spine on the left as I usually just bend it back behind the kindle when standing and hold it like a paper book when sitting.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
With my PB360, I either hold and operate it in my left hand or hold and operate it in my right hand. I switch up between the two.

Except when I hold it in my right hand and operate it with my left hand ... and vice versa. But, I find one-handed operation is best.

A very handy [...snicker...] device, the Pocketbook 360.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm a lefty, and when I received my first reader (EZ Reader Basic) I found the cover got in my way a lot. I discovered rather quickly that the cover could be used as intended or upside-down so that the spine is on the right. I've seen very few covers that are reversible like that, so that may be something to consider as an option.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I use one hand usually to hold and operate my nook, but I switch hands depending on how I'm sitting, laying, or otherwise positioned. I personally find it odd that most eBook readers aren't ambidextrous.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
I mostly use my left hand to hold/operate my Kindle even though I'm a righty. Actually it's because I'm a righty - it leaves my "good" hand to do other things, like ProfCrash said.
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Let's see.. I write left-handed, throw a ball and bat right handed, can use a mouse or hammer with either hand. Yes, I'm ambidextrous. Whatever I need.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Surprising how many "ambis" are out there! I use a mouse left handed but write right handed and have a similarly strange mix of "hands". But the Kobo is designed for right-hand use only and that took a while to get used to.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote