Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Very detailed jetBook review with many pictures

Ectaco jetBook review with many pictures and comments available on
www.geardiary.com website now:

With all of the hullabaloo over the Amazon Kindle 2’s recent release, one might think that there were no other eBook readers on the market; not so! Those who eschew DRM protection and who can do without the convenience of an online content store (I’m thinking of Amazon’s and Sony’s, specifically) should pay particular attention to the Ectaco jetBook, a reading device capable of handling .txt, .pdf, .fb2, .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp, and MP3 file formats. According to literature I picked up at CES, EPUB format is expected in Q1 2009.

more details:

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/03/09/...device-review/

My opinion as jetBook user that it is most professional jetBook review available at this moment.

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Nice review. If they add Mobi support (which I though someone testing firmware said was coming this month) and/or epub and I can get it for the $180 or so they've been streeting for I think I'd buy one. It's a neat little device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It still doesn't look like a match for the Sony or the Kindle.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
waggy27
waggy27 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
Thanks for the link, that was a pretty even-handed review to be honest. I like the page turning slider especially. My brother is after a reader and can't afford the Sony or Kindle, so will be interested in something like this.
waggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
So far, I've only had two complaints with the JetBook:

The minor complaint is that the screen, while still non-glare, still has more glare than the Kindle. Just requires a little more fidgeting to get the right angle for reading.

The major complaint I have is the font rendering engine. I can put up with the font selection, but the rendering is horrible. It reminds me of some of the very EARLY incarnations of the FreeType engine on Linux. Straight lines are okay, but diagonal strokes and curves all look like they have a some sort of static or digital fuzz which just makes the letters look nasty ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nice review. If they add Mobi support (which I though someone testing firmware said was coming this month) and/or epub and I can get it for the $180 or so they've been streeting for I think I'd buy one. It's a neat little device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by update on the blog post
*Update 03/10/09 - I have just received the following from Boris Krol, Ectaco Product Manager:

jetBook will support ePUB, Mobi, PRC and RTF formats by April 2nd.
So, yes, it will suppport it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It still doesn't look like a match for the Sony or the Kindle.
Size-wise, it most certainly is a match for the Kindle. Compared to the jetbook, the Kindle is positively huge...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 03-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Having had a Jetbook for several months now, I have to say that I like it quite a bit. I don't know of any other dedicated reader that will fit in the pocket of my jeans (Fortunately front pocket... after all, I don't want to sit on it ). Since I read DRM free books, I generally convert them into PDFs (or download the PDFs from Feedbooks or Manybooks.net). Once the PDFs are sized properly for the screen, I find it quite easy to read. Mind you, using PDFs does not allow you to resize the text but as long as you choose the right font type initally, it is fine.

That being said, I am looking forward to ePub format; with more and more epub books being offered, it makes it easier for someone who doesn't want to fool around with conversion to use.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for posting the review, this looks like a great little device. Once the support for mobi, etc is added, I think it would definitely be worth looking into as a lower cost alternative to the Kindle, etc.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's design looks a bit more old school than the kindle/sony, like a games machine from the 90's or something!

I like the screen clarity/contrast though, up against the kindle it looks easier to read from those photos. Landscape mode, smaller form factor too than a kindle ('nearly' the same size screen, but easier to carry)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I love my Jetbook. I don't see the glare as even an issue at all,its small and actually portable as opposed to the Kindle which is a bulky thing (IMO) and (again IMO) not that attractive except for the "OMG THAT IS SO COOL" factor it inspires. Of course, I get those spasms of glee over my new Jetbook, but then Oswego NY is not the hotbed of gadget love and my Aspire One gets oohs and ahhs non stop.

As far as the Sony goes, I do agree the Sony may be the better of the two. The Sony is sleek, but the drawbacks to both nearly level them as far as my decision went.

I'm also super displeased with the Kindle limitations. I was horribly offended by the 1,500 books should be enough for anyone statement made by Amazon. If I want 1501 books, by god, give them to me. I just paid $360 bucks on your gadget give me my darn expandable slot back. So instead with my Jetbook, I've invested in a few cheap 256 SD cards (at $3 each free shipping) a case that holds 48 SD cards, and I'm slowly building my collection waiting for the cards to get here.

I've also created sub folders inside the reader itself. Instead of having "science fiction" I might have a folder called that, then 15 sub folders of different authors.

I need to do the upgrade still, but over all, the jetbook is worth each and every penny and I'll make my money I spent on it back by selling all the books I move to electronic format. Like my entire Anne Rice, Piers Antony, and other sets I've collected over the years. Some book lover will get them and we'll both be happy.

Last edited by Jaie; 03-10-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Because I'm a moron and left out a whole statement.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Jaie, I agree about how nice the expandable slot is... it also makes firmware upgrades pretty easy. That being said, just curious, why did you get 256 MB SD cards? Granted one small one is needed for firmware upgrades, but 2 GB cards are not that expensive and they can keep you reading for years... then again, at one to two MB per book, even a 256 MB card ought to keep one reading for 6 months to a year.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
then again, at one to two MB per book, even a 256 MB card ought to keep one reading for 6 months to a year.
But illustrated books can be much larger. I'm preparing an illustrated Don Quixote, it will be around 30MB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But illustrated books can be much larger. I'm preparing an illustrated Don Quixote, it will be around 30MB.
Is it PDF format?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Multiple small cards can sometimes make it easier to organize your library.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Multiple small cards can sometimes make it easier to organize your library.
The problem that 256 MB SD card can be more expensive than 2GB SD card becuase nobody produce SD cards less than 1GB now