Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #271
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Let me guess how is the new jailbreak installed:
DHCP shell command injection ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #272
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Quick question -- it's been a while since I registered a new Kindle. Assuming my KV arrives tonight with 5.6.5 (fingers crossed), how do I turn it on and register without it beginning to search for and do the over-the-air update? Can I even turn it on to confirm the software (it's the Wifi/3g model)? Does anyone recall the process our good friends at Amazon take you through at the beginning? Thanks!
Turn it on somewhere where signal will be weak. A basement, in an aluminium lined box (aluminum works?), also moisture reduces signal strength, so maybe run the shower and close the door for a bit. Something like that. A shower in a basement in a lead-lined box would be bet. And be fast
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #273
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Attached.

5.6.5 only, only tested on PW2/PW3 English firmware. Probably should hard reset before doing this. Up to you.

Copy jb to /mnt/us. (root directory mounted when attaching kindle to a computer)
Serve up jb folder on port 80 on a web server.
DNS redirect "a" to the web server via man in the middle, changing the server name on your network, adding an entry to your DNS server on your router, etc. (if you specify a wireless network and click advanced, you can put in a static DNS server)

i.e. after all of this, browsing to a should open up index.html.

Open the browser on the kindle, browse to the url "a". (with no quotes)
Read instructions.
Pray.
If it succeeds, you can then run NiLuJe's bridge update pack to complete the jailbreak. This just installs the developer key.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

Will potentially put up a much easier method this weekend. Also will throw up an explanation sometime in the future.

Special thanks to Cyril for the CVE/original POC, the Gateway 3DS team for a slightly enhanced heap spray, NiLuJe for way too much, and Amazon for fixing it up.
Attached Files
File Type: zip jb.zip (3.4 KB, 9324 views)

Last edited by Branch Delay; 02-05-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #274
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
Thanks. Though this is too advanced for me. Will wait for a simpler tutorial. All doubts quashed
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #275
adriaja
adriaja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle: Oasis and Voyage
Hurra!! Waiting for the easy mode...
adriaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #276
davearrrrr
davearrrrr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
No, it will not remove ads. Check the forum rules. Pay to remove them or live with them.
To be fair, if jailbroken for screensavers, how does that affect the ads and their placement? Must ads be removed before jailbreaking for screensavers will work?
davearrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #277
davearrrrr
davearrrrr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Thanks. Though this is too advanced for me. Will wait for a simpler tutorial. All doubts quashed
Ditto. Many thanks to Branch for putting in this effort!
I miss the days of yore when you could just drag drop some firmware...
davearrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #278
gett
gett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Serve up jb folder on port 80 on a web server.
DNS redirect "a" to the web server via man in the middle, changing the server name on your network, adding an entry to your DNS server on your router, etc. (if you specify a wireless network and click advanced, you can put in a static DNS server)

Read instructions.
Pray.
If it succeeds, you can then run NiLuJe's bridge update pack to complete the jailbreak. This just installs the developer key.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Thank you!
Any guru willing to explain this step by step, please. For n00b users.
gett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #279
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by davearrrrr View Post
To be fair, if jailbroken for screensavers, how does that affect the ads and their placement? Must ads be removed before jailbreaking for screensavers will work?
I've never had an ad supported kindle but from what I've read I believe you have to have paid to remove ads before the screensaver hack will work.

Hmm... Hopefully I can do the jailbreak when I get home, I've got a webserver already set up.
Will try when I get home.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 02-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #280
Gabbb
Enthusiast
Gabbb began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
I've never had an ad supported kindle but from what I've read I believe you have to have paid to remove ads before the screensaver hack will work.

Hmm... Hopefully I can do the jailbreak when I get home, I've got a webserver already set up.
Will try when I get home.
I believe the screensaver hack works on special offer kindles too, just in order to see the effects you have to remain in airplane mode for a long while to starve out the ads.
Gabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #281
Gigahawk
Nameless Being

Quote:
Attached.

Heyo, pretty new around here and super stoked for this jailbreak. Just out of curiosity, is it necessary that I do a DNS redirect as opposed to just typing in the IP of the server that's hosting the jb folder?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #282
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahawk View Post
Heyo, pretty new around here and super stoked for this jailbreak. Just out of curiosity, is it necessary that I do a DNS redirect as opposed to just typing in the IP of the server that's hosting the jb folder?
I read through the source and I don't see why not.
But I read fast an may have missed something critical.
Let BD have the last word.

PS: Try it - what can it hurt if it doesn't work?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #283
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Yes, it must be "a." You can't simply host the files and browse there.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #284
astrophys
astrophys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPad
Quote:
Hi Branch, thank you so much for this!

One question: I need to quit kindle USB mode when I open browser on kindle, but I can not eject kindle since the jb folder in kindle root directory is still in use (it's been serving up). I'm using OS X now.

Can I serve up jb folder which is not necessarily located in kindle root directory?
astrophys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #285
ad1217
ad1217 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Worked on my Voyage.

For those who want a slightly easier method, you can use create_ap with the "--redirect-to-localhost" option, instead of setting up dns. Example command:
Code:
sudo create_ap mlan0 --redirect-to-localhost -n test
The files can then be hosted with
Code:
python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer
This hosts on port 8000 by default, so navigate to 'a:8000'.
ad1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking