Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The book _Bembo's Zoo_ is kind of neat for this age range, and if you have a tablet which can run Flash, very engaging:

http://www.bemboszoo.com

(mute your speakers if you're somewhere that animal noises would be inappropriate)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The word you're looking for is ``rebus''.
I think "pictogram" probably covers it better.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
-- half the time the kids didn't know what the pictures were supposed to represent and they found it more frustrating to have to remember that between readings than to learn the names and words.
Well, its not ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics, its just little pictures of sandwiches, cookies, and the "Mystery, Incorporated" gang's faces, so I don't know what to tell you...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Well, its not ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics, its just little pictures of sandwiches, cookies, and the "Mystery, Incorporated" gang's faces, so I don't know what to tell you...
There were a few fairly non-intuitive ones that I can't recall offhand and it might not have been in the Scooby Doo books at all -- we had several of that type of book and they were not all Scooby Doo. I just remember we used the pages in the back that showed what words the pictures represented quite a lot!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
These would probably have been the Little Golden Books series, not sure who or if the author was credited to be. These would be another excellent set for smaller children if you can find the more durable hard cover versions.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of the Little Golden Book Series. They were ridiculously popular when I was a child. I'll definitely look into getting those as well- hardcover preferred.
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to find some of the Little Golden Books at my grocery store. I picked up Scuffy the Tugboat and The Little Red Caboose. Both were big hits with my three-year old.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
steven522

I know this may seem counter-intuitive for the little ones but keep an eye out for the really large collections of fables, fairy tales or myths. Look for the ones with lots of little two or three page stories that have at least one illustration per individual story. The thicker and more packed full of stories, the better. The more colorful and detailed the illustrations, the better.

The youngest are usually infatuated with such large volumes and love just flipping through and looking at the pictures. The oldest might not mind actually reading some of these shorter stand-alone stories out loud to the youngest.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know this may seem counter-intuitive for the little ones but keep an eye out for the really large collections of fables, fairy tales or myths. Look for the ones with lots of little two or three page stories that have at least one illustration per individual story. The thicker and more packed full of stories, the better. The more colorful and detailed the illustrations, the better.

The youngest are usually infatuated with such large volumes and love just flipping through and looking at the pictures. The oldest might not mind actually reading some of these shorter stand-alone stories out loud to the youngest.
We actually do the traditional 'bedtime stories' at my house. We do have many fairytale collections (my favorite- Hans Christian Andersen). They are wonderful for the children, and quite an efficient way to put them to sleep. We've also read a few of the Harry Potter books, but I feel like the later-in-the-series books have a bit of mature content for them. So we will await those. But I certainly agree that fairytale collections are wonderful!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another writer who has some good stories for a little bit older child is Roald Dahl. His "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" and "Charlie & the great glass elevator" are well remembered reads from my youth. The 1971 movie with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka was good but the original text is even wilder as far as some of the adventures that happen. He also wrote "James and the Giant Peach" "The Big Friendly Giant" and "Matilda" among others. Judy Blume's "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and "Superfudge" are good too, as is Robert McCloskey's "Homer Price."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Judy Blume's "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and "Superfudge" are good too, ...
Second this one.

I remember reading these when I was at the fourth grade level and loved them. I was surprised when my daughter red them a few years back and really enjoyed them too.

Also, The Hobbit is a good read-out-loud book for children. I read this one to my daughter when she was around five or six and she recently read it again, herself, in preparation after hearing the movie was coming out. I had read that Tolkien had written it originally as a series of bedtime stories for his children. True or not, the chapter layouts do well for out-loud reading.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Roald Dahl is definitely one of my favorites for reading aloud. Very funny, exciting stories, beautiful language.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
WordCountess

I love Roald Dahl as well. 'The Witches' is one of my children's favorites- but they also love 'James and the Giant Peach'. Roald Dahl is a fantastic and hilarious writer.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One set of books that I got when I was growing up (and still have) is "The Bible Story" books by Maxwell. They are written in simple language that a young child can understand and also teach a lesson through the stories from the Bible which are written out in a way that a young child can understand. They are also well made with beautiful color illustrations.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #29
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
One book I really like, but it's quite a sad one, is "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch.
Usually, children around me like the "Gaspard and Lisa" series by Anne Gutman. They also like books which include a CD, like "The Animal Boogie"
love you forever was huge around here. I started with bath books and read them to them in the bath. Monster at the end of the book was the biggest hit. It is a little golden book, with Grover from Sesame Street. Kids go crazy for all the fun of trying to turn the pages.

Little golden books are so cheap, I use to let them pick out one each week when shopping. Being able to pick is great for little ones.

applesauce

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote