Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Wayness13
Wayness13 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
wrong page numbers when quoting academic texts

Hi,

the daughter of a colleague of mine goes to university and is having a problem with academic epub texts. When she quotes from the text, she has the wrong page number as reader formats the text accordingly.

Now it seems some professors are allowing this, but some are not.

Is there any reader or software that gets the page numbers right?
Or should she resort to pdf files and a tablet?

Thanks.
Wayness13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
PDFs would be the only way to get page numbers that correspond to the print version of that edition's page numbers.

The only other real option is to use an epub version and make sure your device shows the Adobe page numbers (a "page" being defined as 1000 characters), as Kobo ereaders do (the tiny numbers that are in the margins by default), which are device-independant (though they're still edition-dependant - different editions of the epub'll usually have different character counts; even adjustments to the copyright page'll throw the numbers off).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
PDFs would be the only way to get page numbers that correspond to the print version of that edition's page numbers. ...
The Kindle AZW format can also report the "correct" page number, that is the page number from some specified printed edition. This feature is only availabe in books that Amazon has distributed that contain a matching translation table to convert the ebook's Location to a print version's Page. It is not an automatic conversion that is availabe in every book

Ebooks are different editions and have their own reference region or location information. No true ebook format has the concept of "page". "Page" is something that exists in print versions only. The ebook's internal location is reported, but it is up to the reading software to label it. Most ePub readers erroneously label this as "page", causing great confusion, while Kindles and other MOBI format readers use "location". It is generally consider acceptable to reference these regions in the book using the ebook's "page" or "location" number provided the edition of the book is properly cited so that the reader of the citation knows exactly which edition of the ebook is being referred to.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayness13 View Post
Hi,

the daughter of a colleague of mine goes to university and is having a problem with academic epub texts. When she quotes from the text, she has the wrong page number as reader formats the text accordingly.

Now it seems some professors are allowing this, but some are not.

Is there any reader or software that gets the page numbers right?
Or should she resort to pdf files and a tablet?

Thanks.
Profs getting kickbacks for forcing students buy a certain paper edition?
As long as the epub content IS the same edition that rest of the class is using, I hate the idea of professors not moving with the times.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I work in academia and my personal opinion is that it should be possible to quote the 'Kindle edition' (based on what dwig describes in his second paragraph) but unfortunately I'm not sure many of my colleagues agree with me, so up to now I've kept to paper backs and tablets.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Wayness13
Wayness13 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks everybody, I'll pass it on to my colleague.
Wayness13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Profs getting kickbacks for forcing students buy a certain paper edition?
As long as the epub content IS the same edition that rest of the class is using, I hate the idea of professors not moving with the times.
The whole point of citing page numbers is so that readers can look up the pages you are citing. This is an issue with paper as well as e-readers - i.e., if a student bought a used paperback that was a different edition, the prof also wouldn't be able to look up the cites.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
PDFs would be the only way to get page numbers that correspond to the print version of that edition's page numbers.

The only other real option is to use an epub version and make sure your device shows the Adobe page numbers (a "page" being defined as 1000 characters), as Kobo ereaders do (the tiny numbers that are in the margins by default), which are device-independant (though they're still edition-dependant - different editions of the epub'll usually have different character counts; even adjustments to the copyright page'll throw the numbers off).
That is interesting in that I thought the 1000 character page numbering was a Sony/Kobo thing, not Adobe.

If that form of page numbering is satisfactory a fast temporary solution would be to use computer reading software that conformed to the same numbering system. Sony Reader Library 3.1 for example and probably Adobe Digital Editions (both free), searching for the text from the attributions and adding correct page numbers. Would not take very long IMO.

Another possibilty, again assuming that the epub texts conform to University Standards, is to determine how the ereader she is using determines page numbering (calibre forum perhaps) and use a formula to get correct page number.

Unfortunately if a professor wants pages from a specific printed version even pdfs might not suffice.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
trusktr
trusktr began at the beginning.

Device: kobo for Android
A solution could be to use percentages. If a quote is located at 67.58%, then you take the total number of pages in your edition and multiply it by 0.6758 to find the page of the quote.
trusktr is offline   Reply With Quote