Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Huxley The Cat
Librarian
Huxley The Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, PRS-505
Hello from Hampshire

Hi there,

I've jusk acquired a lovely new PRS-505 and wanted to express my thanks to these forums for all the tips, tricks and general all-round help you have (unwittingly) given me, from purchasing from B&H photo , via checking that little box in the Sony eBooks Store , through to the excellent sources of free books.

I now have enough literature on my little device to keep me for years! including many of the greatest works from around the world, which I was always going to "get around to" reading. Well now I've got no excuse!!

Happy reading all.

HTC
Huxley The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi HTC and welcome to the Forum. I've got a 505 and like it a lot and you will find lots of friendly help on this site.

BTW, what check box is that on the Sony site?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
LeighleyUK47
LeighleyUK47 doesn't litterLeighleyUK47 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi HTC,

My turn to welcome you! lol

Lee
LeighleyUK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Hi again Lee,

I'm just outside Portsmouth too! Even though I'm Welsh, I've only ever supported Pompey in the round ball game so I'll definitely be hoping for a Pompey win in the final - my other half is a Cardiff fan, so it might get quite interesting in our house.

Wrt the Sony Classics, as reported elsewhere on the site, when you authorise your reader at the Sony store, there is a check box indicating that you are in the US. If you tick that, then you get credit for the 100 classic books. They are all available on Project Gutenberg for free anyway, it just saves you having to do any conversion or re-formatting.

For some reason I can't get libprs to open on my PC - I'm running Vista, not that it should make any difference - so at the moment I'm restricted to the classics from the Sony Store, Baen for Sci-Fi, Feedbooks, which has got quite a lot of books not available from the Sony store, and non-DRM'd commercial titles from Fictionwise. It's still many years worth of readng matter though.

Cheers

HTC
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley The Cat View Post
For some reason I can't get libprs to open on my PC - I'm running Vista, not that it should make any difference
Even if you can't run the gui, you may want to try to conversion programs. They are all seperate commandline .exe programs. You could try any2lrf.exe first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
hi .
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
For some reason I can't get libprs to open on my PC - I'm running Vista, not that it should make any difference - so at the moment I'm restricted to the classics from the Sony Store, Baen for Sci-Fi, Feedbooks, which has got quite a lot of books not available from the Sony store, and non-DRM'd commercial titles from Fictionwise. It's still many years worth of readng matter though.
HTC
Libprs and the sony software use the same driver. This is causing your problem, I expect.
See
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21774
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Huxley The Cat, the 505 is wonderful !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Even if you can't run the gui, you may want to try to conversion programs. They are all seperate commandline .exe programs. You could try any2lrf.exe first.

BOb
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info - I can't see any way of doing that though. The only bit of libprs that I seem to be able to access is the lrfviewer, clicking on the libprs desktop icon, or trying to open or explore it from the program menu, results in nothing happening at all.

It's not a major problem for me, as by the time I'm fed up with the free material on my 505 I'm hoping Sony will have got their act together and be selling the reader in the UK, which will mean a UK version of the store.

Thanks again.

HTC
Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Libprs and the sony software use the same driver. This is causing your problem, I expect.
See
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21774
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your response. I've checked the thread and it doesn't look like the same issue though. As I said in response to Bob (above) it's not a show stopper for me as I have tons of stuff to read, and didn't really have too much I'd acquired from Mobi that I wanted to convert.

Thanks again.

HTC
Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info - I can't see any way of doing that though.
Do you know how to navigate using the command line in the command window? There is more to a PC than icons.

BOb
Old 04-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
a question-is it just me,or do some people lack creativity a tad bit when making intro thread headings recently?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
a question-is it just me,or do some people lack creativity a tad bit when making intro thread headings recently?
Lobolover, as a librarian, creativity is a completely alien concept to me I'm quite organised though, and I do like helping people!

HTC
Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Huxley The Cat
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you know how to navigate using the command line in the command window? There is more to a PC than icons.

BOb
Bob, That sounds horribly like MS Dos to me. I thought that nice Mr Gates had eradicated the need for us ordinary mortals to engage in that sort of thing!!

HTC
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Bob, That sounds horribly like MS Dos to me. I thought that nice Mr Gates had eradicated the need for us ordinary mortals to engage in that sort of thing!!

HTC
Ah, call it what you will. But, the c:> prompt can rock.

BOb