Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
jackie999
jackie999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Deleted books remain in library?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if it's my version (0.7.22) but I added a dozen books by one author to calibre then later on decided I really didn't need them since I'd already read them so I highlighted them in Calibre and chose delete - I was warned it would delete them from my hard drive...which is good. Now when I look at the /home/me/Calibre Library I see the folder and the dozen books are all still there. I can manually delete them but I thought it best to let the program manipulate the library..what am I doing wrong ?
jackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Linux? Right?
What are the User and group permissions for the library folder?
Do your user (me) belong to 1) the owner, 2) the group (with delete rights)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are the books still there, in the sense that the author folder contains a title folder that contains a book file?

Are there any other titles in your library by that same author?

Does the check library function complain about these folders? (IIRC in 0.7.22 that function is available at preferences -> misc. In 0.7.23 it was moved to the dropdown library menu.)

Edit: Any chance you are accessing the same library from both linux and windows? Doing so is a disaster waiting to happen.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
jackie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Linux? Right?
What are the User and group permissions for the library folder?
Do your user (me) belong to 1) the owner, 2) the group (with delete rights)
Yes, Linux...
I changed folder owner & group to "create & delete" permissions...and it seemed to work - but I notice when I add a new author, the group permission on the new folder is back to access only.

edited to add...fixed the default group permission..changed umask in /etc/profile to 002 (from 022) and it seems to be working properly now ..thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by jackie999; 10-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
jackie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are the books still there, in the sense that the author folder contains a title folder that contains a book file?

Are there any other titles in your library by that same author?

Does the check library function complain about these folders? (IIRC in 0.7.22 that function is available at preferences -> misc. In 0.7.23 it was moved to the dropdown library menu.)

Edit: Any chance you are accessing the same library from both linux and windows? Doing so is a disaster waiting to happen.
Thanks for the tip about the 'check library' function - that helps..I see there where the discrepancies are and will manually fix them for now ..until I get my linux figured out. I don't use windows at all..but I'm wondering if this Calibre would prefer it?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie999 View Post
Yes, Linux...
I changed folder owner & group to "create & delete" permissions...and it seemed to work - but I notice when I add a new author, the group permission on the new folder is back to access only.

edited to add...fixed the default group permission..changed umask in /etc/profile to 002 (from 022) and it seems to be working properly now ..thanks so much for the help!
You should only need to worry about Group permissions if you (your login ID) are not the owner.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
jackie999

User login ID is same as owner and group. Owner folder access was set to 'create and delete' and Group was set to 'assess' ...until I changed Group to 'create and delete' Calibre couldn't delete the folder. I'm pretty sure that's how it went..is working now though
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
This happened to me as well, last night. I am running Vista Home Premium 64. Deleted a book file/format because the conversion was bad and I wanted to try again with a fresh, fixed rtf and I wanted both formats to compare results. First I copied the original mobi file and pasted it elsewhere renamed. Then I deleted the mobi file properly from Calibre, saw it was in fact gone, and added the rtf that had been fixed as a book. When I went to merge the mobi file was back in the original place in the library and also in the actual folder.

Please note, that after I deleted the mobil format I had completely closed Calibre, because it seemed to be hanging, and opened it again to add the rtf file.

Last edited by pghaworth; 10-12-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Add more content
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote