Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Mentor operation and firmware questions.

Now That I seem to have a functional Mentor (Lite...) I would like to understand some things about it and it's potentialites better.

The silly power LED color thing aside - will it ALWAYS have the little 'Off' symbol in the middle of the screen when not in use ?
Seems absurd to me if that is true - wasteful, perhaps - and can it cause 'screen burn' ?

Having looked at relevant posts before purchasing it, many references have been made to upgrading the firmware, both by Astak's version and the Cooler Reader version.

I find myself wondering what changes and/or improvements each of these provide and would genuinely appreciate more info if someone would oblige me here ?

When making any technology part of my daily life I want to understand how to use it as well as it's quirks (good or bad) and my reading habits are very important parts of my days !!!

I will appreciate any education anyone is willing to help me with here.

Thanks.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Now That I seem to have a functional Mentor (Lite...) I would like to understand some things about it and it's potentialites better.

The silly power LED color thing aside - will it ALWAYS have the little 'Off' symbol in the middle of the screen when not in use ?
Seems absurd to me if that is true - wasteful, perhaps - and can it cause 'screen burn' ?

Having looked at relevant posts before purchasing it, many references have been made to upgrading the firmware, both by Astak's version and the Cooler Reader version.

I find myself wondering what changes and/or improvements each of these provide and would genuinely appreciate more info if someone would oblige me here ?

When making any technology part of my daily life I want to understand how to use it as well as it's quirks (good or bad) and my reading habits are very important parts of my days !!!

I will appreciate any education anyone is willing to help me with here.

Thanks.

mark
The only way to "burn" E-ink is to leave it out in the bright sun. Technically, then it will Fade, just like anything else left to long in the sun.
(Don't leave the unit in the Sun or hot Car, The heat is not good for the electronics. If it is too hot to hold, it's too HOT for it.)

E-Ink is a Set and power down type of display. The Icon was probably to tell you that you are not just on a blank page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The off icon will not cause screen burn. E-ink screens are different from LCDs and CRTs. A momentary current aligns microscopic "balls" so either the light side or the dark side is displayed. Once aligned, the current is removed and the image persists, unlike LCDs and CRTs which have to have a continuous current to maintain the image.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thankee, Thankee !
No worries there, neither hot car nor staying in the sun for more than minutes happens with me at all.

Great info about e-ink too, thanks for that !

I am slightly annoyed at how this reader starts - it is not returning to my place at all, so I wonder if someone might jump in here and explain the firmware stuff to me a bit better so that I may decide what to do/not do and get that functionality ?

Thanks !

mark

Last edited by smallhagrid; 08-13-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: I am dumb.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thankee, Thankee !
No worries there, neither hot car nor staying in the sun for more than minutes happens with me at all.

Great info about e-ink too, thanks for that !

I am slightly annoyed at how this reader starts - it is not returning to my place at all, so I wonder if someone might jump in here and explain the firmware stuff to me a bit better so that I may decide what to do/not do and get that functionality ?

Thanks !

mark
What format book are you reading that does not return properly? If it is ePUB then it likely is returning to the top of the virtual page instead of the displayed page. Depending on the font size you chose there may be several displayed pages to one virtual page which is loosely based on the number of characters so it doesn't vary with font size changes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Irrelevant, but thanks for replying !
This is a Mentor (Lite) and I see your sig specifies:
'currently using an eb1150 and/or an EZ Reader'

No matter which file type it opens ONLY to the menu and does not even try to return to the open book.
Nasty. Very Nasty.

Starts VERRRRRY slowly-> MUST then display the ridiculous, useless grayscale animation-> stops at the 'Green Book' logo for too long-> and only THEN finally gets to the main menu.
A mere 5 or 6 more selections and I am FINALLY at my book. Woof.
Nice device.....Rotten software.

Best Wishes.

mark
Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Irrelevant, but thanks for replying !
This is a Mentor (Lite) and I see your sig specifies:
'currently using an eb1150 and/or an EZ Reader'

No matter which file type it opens ONLY to the menu and does not even try to return to the open book.
Nasty. Very Nasty.

Starts VERRRRRY slowly-> MUST then display the ridiculous, useless grayscale animation-> stops at the 'Green Book' logo for too long-> and only THEN finally gets to the main menu.
A mere 5 or 6 more selections and I am FINALLY at my book. Woof.
Nice device.....Rotten software.

Best Wishes.

mark
E-Ink devices are designed to be left ON (or locked).
Long boot times are immaterial, since they are done so infrequently.
It's been weeks since I re-booted, I have read dozens of books, connected and updated dozens more, and never re-booted. I remember re-booting because I have to set the pita clock that could have been powered from the main battery with a few tiny components (LDO reg, caps)
IMHO the only times to turn the unit OFF is to load firmware or long term storage (and remove the battery)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thank you for that wonderful and informative reply !!!
I sincerely wish the info you shared had been thoughtfully included in the manual or in some easily found post entitled 'general knowledge NEEDED for using E-ink devices'.

I also wish I knew of some way to 'lock' the Mentor as I can find no such thing.
My on<->off ideas come from the prior use of battery eating devices which HAD to be shut off between uses or run out of power if they did not do auto-off.

My e-reader goal is almost constant usage - I read many times per day, each day and that is why it was such a joy to discover a hand-held which was so light and wonderful to use with just one hand !!!
As a result I have unburdened my tiny living space of 90% of the books which used to be all around; I thought I'd simply hate non-paper books and here I've done the EXACT opposite.
That the E-ink can be treated as a dead-tree book and left on is even more wonderful news and I shall implement it immediately.
My only hesitation is in that I do carry my reader around with me as I change places and it worries me NOT to be able to lock it in some fashion...?

BTW theducks, I think your sig is brilliant !!!

Best Wishes.

mark

Tags
astak, battery life, battery status, firmware, mentor