Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
knc1 has considerable expertise and may have further suggestions.

The presumed problem is a weak battery, so replacing the battery is one option. There are usually third-party vendors on Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, etc selling them for $5 - $20.

Or you could get a serial port adapter ($3 - $10) which will likely give us some useful status and error messages to narrow down the issue.
For a new battery, look on newpower99.com. They have batteries for Kindles and may have one for your model. Also, they usually have a video on how to replace the battery. And the battery comes with the tools needed to change the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsbd View Post
. . . .

I assume the approach didn’t work - what could be the next step? Tearing it apart and playing around with serial port? Any recommendation (and hopefully some guidance) would be highly appreciated.
I agree, that idea did not help out.
Just for reference, it does "fix" my KT2 but yours must have a different problem.

Time for a new battery?
That is the only thing I can think of at this point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #18
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
My old Kindle Touch had the same issue.
DON'T buy a new battery unless you have a no-questions-asked return warranty.
I paid fine money for a battery ... only to find out that it was the motherboard. And how did I know? I got a second Kindle Touch. Battery works very well (a month of battery life) on new Kindle Touch, while the old one would either refuse to turn on, or would die spontaneously seconds after power-on.
But a new (used?) motherboard is cheap. A certain website (I won't be naming it to avoid sponsoring a particular brand) offers them for $3.

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 02-11-2020 at 07:14 AM.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
My old Kindle Touch had the same issue.
DON'T buy a new battery unless you have a no-questions-asked return warranty.
I paid fine money for a battery ... only to find out that it was the motherboard. And how did I know? I got a second Kindle Touch. Battery works very well (a month of battery life) on new Kindle Touch, while the old one would either refuse to turn on, or would die spontaneously seconds after power-on.
But a new (used?) motherboard is cheap. A certain website (I won't be naming it to avoid sponsoring a particular brand) offers them for $3.
It's not sponsoring to mention the website to get the motherboard. So why bother to mention it if you are not going to give the URL?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #20
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Well it took less than 3 seconds to search and find a site selling used boards for $3. So I can only presume that you didn't do a search before posting. Easily found site if you need a board.

Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #21
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Well it took less than 3 seconds to search and find a site selling used boards for $3 ... Easily found site if you need a board.
Therefore, I'm not wrong in omitting the name. If one wants to find it, it would be easy for them to do, yet at the same time I would be safe in the fact that I didn't recommend or sponsor any exact site since I didn't try them firsthand, which means that recommending them would be wrong.
Besides, MobileRead is not the only forum I've participated in. Some other forums deeply frown on any sponsorship of products ... so you can call this omission a result of habit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not sponsoring to mention the website to get the motherboard. So why bother to mention it if you are not going to give the URL?
I don't know if the unspoken rules are different around here, but mentioning the name of the website might be misinterpreted as an implicit, subtle recommendation.
Quote:
So I can only presume that you didn't do a search before posting.
I'm not a clairvoyant. I must have obviously done a Google search of some form to know that there are used boards for $3 :-)
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote